Why become a member? ×

Making a jazz look like a precision

la bam

5 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

For my money, a jazz dressed as a P would be worse than a J for that role.Gotta be a P.

It’s for this reason I had a natural Limelight and then a black Shuker Precision built for a Queen tribute.

No half measures for that I’m afraid.

Yeh, I've done it for a few years before. Theres just a big difference between a p and my current flea jazz. I guess I'll have to find a p with a slimmer taped neck.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, la bam said:

Yeh, I've done it for a few years before. Theres just a big difference between a p and my current flea jazz. I guess I'll have to find a p with a slimmer taped neck.

Or if you’re only going to be playing the one bass but a Precision & swap the necks?

On 29/08/2022 at 12:01, grenadillabama said:

One of my favorite bands changed from a white Jazz Bass to a black Jazz with only a neck pickup and two knobs. It sounds maybe more like a old single coil Precision.

DSCN3774.JPG

Problem solved if everyone's eyesight is that bad 

• Like 1

Well ....... I struck lucky .......

I've been browsing for weeks, nothing turned up. Then I tried searching randomly for p instead of precision bass and found the perfect bass.....

A bass centre power bass in John Deacon spec! It was in Scotland, but the kind seller even dropped it off for me on his way to a work event!

This feels nice and has a wide but not too wide neck, but is quite shallow so it's easy to play.

It has the optional babicz bridge - which I had on my jeff berlin bass - which are great.

I've got it booked in for a dimarzio pickup fitting tomorrow, and then we are good to go!

20220906_195749.jpg

20220906_195754.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, la bam said:

Well ....... I struck lucky .......

I've been browsing for weeks, nothing turned up. Then I tried searching randomly for p instead of precision bass and found the perfect bass.....

A bass centre power bass in John Deacon spec! It was in Scotland, but the kind seller even dropped it off for me on his way to a work event!

This feels nice and has a wide but not too wide neck, but is quite shallow so it's easy to play.

It has the optional babicz bridge - which I had on my jeff berlin bass - which are great.

I've got it booked in for a dimarzio pickup fitting tomorrow, and then we are good to go!

20220906_195749.jpg

20220906_195754.jpg

Order is restored, all is as it should be, nothing more need be said :)

1 hour ago, la bam said:

That does look great! Is that a p body with j pickups though? It looks kinda flatter than a jazz at the bottom.

Yeah looks like it, was thinking one option for you could be to move your jazz electronics into a precision body but it would be a fair bit of work.

1 hour ago, Steve Browning said:

Do you have a link for that?

Yep it’s over in the ‘What’s your #1?’ thread. Credit to @hamfist for owning a lovely bass! 

• Thanks 1

Messing around with a Jazz to make it pass as a Precision would be worse than playing the Jazz untouched.

It's probably the neck that you like most about your Jazz, so just get a Precision or a Precision body, and put the neck from your Jazz onto the Precision body, I've been doing it for years because I prefer Jazz necks, you would also get a more authentic John Deacon P bass tone from the split pickup.

Here's one of mine, this neck has been on a number of different coloured bodies because it feels so comfortable to me.

Dakota Red P Bass.jpeg

Edited by thebrig
  • Like 1