Why become a member? ×

One rig for everything?

Tripehound

I play in three bands (retired so doing what I always wanted to do!) - a pop/rock/Motown/disco covers band, a middle-aged-blokes-playing-classic-rock band (what the market has been crying out for for years) and now a fifties-revival rock'n'roll/jive outfit as well. all playing pubs and clubs. No consistency whatsoever...!

It's the covers band that's been my main outfit for some years but the other two bands are about to start gigging - and therein lies my question to the hive mind.

The covers band all play direct through a fancy line array PA so I use a Zoom B6 or an Atomic Bassbox with a Headrush 112 pointing up at me for a monitor (tried several times to use IEMs and gave up each time). This all works fine and the band is regularly complemented on their sound (if not their playing).

But for a 'rock' band and a Fifties RnR band should I just use the Headrush as an FRFR with the period/genre-appropriate models or invest in a new rig? Thing is, I sold off my previous amps some time ago - Rumble Stage 800 (never bonded with it) and before that a dream setup of Super Bassman 300 + 410 (marvellous but too heavy as I couldn't get it up the steps into the house!). Portability is crucial.

The covers band will continue to do what they do but for the other two outfits it's likely to be full backline and mainly vocals through the PA.

Been looking at what I suspect are popular choices in this area - the Mark Bass 121 plus a NY cab or the GK Legacy 800 212 - but I am wide open to suggestions, your experience and advice! Looks like the MB might be better for the 50s thing and the GK for rock but I can't afford both!

Edited by Tripehound

One rig for everything is a great idea.

You've already got a powered cab. I'd find a way to use it. 

The Headrush is claiming 2000watts peak power. I would nominally expect a 112 cab to be good for 200-300 bass watts. If that's loud enough for your bands then you just need a preamp. You could run a preamp pedal into your active cab or get a D class amp and just use the preamp section, Aguilar, Quilter etc.

Helix is the answer.

Run one set of outputs to the powered speaker for your personal monitoring, and the other outputs to the PA at the same time.

You'll get every sound you'll ever need out of that. 50s at one end, to Periphery metal at the other - and can swap it with a single button mush.

The Headrush powered cab isn't in the same league as the Yamaha and the RCF stuff, but they are a lot more expensive. If the PA is doing the hardwork then you only need the powered speaker to be your personal monitor anyway.

• Like 2

I play every weekend so I keep my gig stuff completely separate . I have a modular rig , so most mid sized rooms I just need one 8 ohm cab , if I’m outdoors or in a larger venue I bring two. Bergantino amp & cabs. Easily the best stage sound I’ve ever had. Never been happier. I had been a longtime GK user , and also love Mesa and Aguilar gear , but I became a Berg guy. 

• Like 1

There is plenty of decent kit that will do what you want. Suggestions above are all good. I won't muddy the waters by recommending what I use. It's decent, but no better than what others suggest. Why not pay a visit to somewhere like Bass Direct and play with some stuff? Go on a quiet weekday and you can try things to your heart's content. That's what i did the last time I upgraded my gear.

I'd just say that, whatever you go for, make sure it's modular - such as the Mark Bass 121 plus cab you mention - so you can take out as much or as little as you need for the job. Avoid big, cumbersome boxes and you should be fine.

Edited by Dan Dare
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 23/08/2022 at 15:23, fretmeister said:

Helix is the answer.

Run one set of outputs to the powered speaker for your personal monitoring, and the other outputs to the PA at the same time.

You'll get every sound you'll ever need out of that. 50s at one end, to Periphery metal at the other - and can swap it with a single button mush.

The Headrush powered cab isn't in the same league as the Yamaha and the RCF stuff, but they are a lot more expensive. If the PA is doing the hardwork then you only need the powered speaker to be your personal monitor anyway.

Planning on using an FRFR for our forthcoming gigs. I play basses and twelve string guitars. Using a Valeton GP-200 into the Headrush FR-112, I am hoping to simplify the on-stage clutter dramatically.

I’ve gone small , modern , modular for gigs. But recently added a nice little boutique preamp to get that old school warm tubey thump. So now I can go old school or hifi.

I have mini rigs for quiet home practice , and rehearsal rigs. Headphone rig too. And backups …

Why settle for one amp when there’s so many alternatives out there?

47 minutes ago, msb said:

I’ve gone small , modern , modular for gigs. But recently added a nice little boutique preamp to get that old school warm tubey thump. So now I can go old school or hifi.

I have mini rigs for quiet home practice , and rehearsal rigs. Headphone rig too. And backups …

Why settle for one amp when there’s so many alternatives out there?

Money / budget / storage space / insurance / spousal pressure.

Lots of reasons.

• Like 1

I spent many , many years with just one old Pbass. I thought it was all I’d need. 
I was wrong.

I’m an old geezer at this point , and enjoy stuff. I still gig every week. Herself doesn’t mind me buying gear. And I try and keep a little cash on hand for a musical emergency.

I’ve found some remarkable deals on the local online buy&sell. I watch it like a hawk. I could have flipped them and turned a quick profit.
But I really buy things to enjoy them. 

• Like 1

Aside from an old spare for emergency use, which of course I've never had a need for, I've never had more than one amp. You'd think I'd have a shed full of speakers too, but I don't. I've never had more than two on hand, most of the time only one. I've never owned more than one bass at a time either. The one I have now I made 25 years ago. I'm comfortable with what I have.

• Like 5

I have the headrush 112 speaker as well as my only "rig" along with my Helix. If I were you I would try using what you have as backline before spending a significant amount of money on a second rig. It might surprise you how competent it is. FWIW. I previously had a markbass LM2 head and 1x12 traveller cab as my only backline gig rig, even in situations with just vocals through the PA. The headrush performs just as well as that. Pretty much comparable to any high powered off the shelf 1x12 combo IMHO.

Of course, if you're just looking for an excuse to buy new gear. Then go for it. You don't need our collective blessing to justify it. But I will say the audience likely won't know the difference.

• Like 2

My guess is that even bass players will only have a passing interest in your rig.

Your bass gear is for making you happy. That will make you play better, which will make the band happy. That will make the band play better which will make the audience happy. Which is the purpose of the gig.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

The only people with any interest in your rig are other bass players. 😉

Some generally say it sounds good , now I’m usually just in mid sized rooms and only vocals are in the PA so my rig has to fill the room. But we are not overly loud. The stage sound is the room mix. 
I buy amps for my enjoyment , they do not all sound the same , and various cabs will sound different as well. I recently added a tube preamp to my gigging rig and have been bypassing the tone stack. And just adding the pre has completely changed my sound. If I’m happy with the stage sound I will play better. 
Quite a few have been asking about the pre , but yes , mostly musicians. There’s usually a good number of players in the room. But I buy stuff for me.

3 hours ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

The only people with any interest in your rig are other bass players. 😉

That extends to basses and guitars too. The only difference in my basses that is clear to my wife is the colour. Actually, when we first met, she thought the neck was called the "handle".

I frequently have to remind myself that the audience couldn't care less when I start agonising over details.

Edited by Greg Edwards69
  • Like 5

I play in 3 bands with completely different genres, plus two of them (jazz and 50s rock n roll/rockabilly) I use double bass, and I sub for another couple of bands. I use the same GK MBF500 with a GK CX2x10 cab for everything. For the double bass gigs I will often add a single no name 1x10 loaded with an Eminence Legend BP102 angled up at my ears so I can hear my intonation.

On 31/01/2023 at 08:00, chris_b said:

My guess is that even bass players will only have a passing interest in your rig.

Your bass gear is for making you happy. That will make you play better, which will make the band happy. That will make the band play better which will make the audience happy. Which is the purpose of the gig.

This. You should be able the make a sound that inspires the bringing forward of your voice.

Then, right, what this guy said. 😀