Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot stuff

Paul S

Hi all

Due to a lower back incident this week I hired a rig from the rehearsal studios last night when we all met up for a practice. It was a Trace Elliot AH150 with a massive 15" TE cab and speaker, but one the guy made up himself (ex-TE techie, or something)

Anyway, the sound blew me away (almost literally) - with the gain set low (my preferred tone) it delivered a totally limpid clear yet massively rich lower end - completely unlike my Ashdown setup (listed below somewhere - and which I was relatively happy with... until last night :) )

Questions -

Are all Trace Elliots created equal - I've read lots about 'old' vs 'new' - does it make that much difference?
Are there any particular series/models that are the gems to be sought out?
Any particular head/cabinet combinations that are more compatible than others?
And do they all weigh as much as small hotel? The Ashdown stuff isn't exactly lightweight but I suspect this takes the tape.

Ta.

Quick edit - I did a search, btw, but thought it would be less confusing for me (easily done) to have it all on one thread. Well, assuming anyone posts anything.

Edited by Paul S

If the MAG sound is what you’re used to, then IMO almost anything would beat it :) (I’m not a fan of the Ashdown MAG range).

I love the Trace Elliot tone and I’m going back to it myself after a year or so playing around with other setups. People will say that the pre-Gibson (pre 1997/8?) Trace Elliots are the ones to go for, but I’ve heard great things about the newer ones (the Peavey era) but not actually used one myself. Some people say that Trace Elliot peaked around the release of the Series 6 heads (1992/3?). The V series valve heads are immense. Anyway, Trace stuff is amazing value for money at the moment - I've seen amps that retailed at £1000 15 years ago being sold for less than £250...

Do you know the make and model of driver used in the Trace cab that you played through?

I have an old AH150 and it has a great tone with plenty of volume, which can sound very different with different speakers.
You should try your Ashdown amp played through the Trace cab for a better comparison with the AH150.

I've always played Trace Elliot amps. I have a TE Series 6 AH300 made in '91 going through a TE 4X10" cab brought at the same time. I've played through lots of amp and there's isn't much that compares that I’ve tried. One of those V series heads would be nice though. I can’t recommend it enough, what you get for your money in the second hand market is amazing. I’ve seen some major TE rigs sell for under £600 on BC.

I've never liked Ashdown amps myself. Although I think I've only used the cheaper models.

If you're seriously considering a change in set up and moving to Trace Elliot then you need look no further then the for sale thread here. I've been having a poke through today and there are some great bargains to be had.

+1 on all the above. The new Trace gear sounds fine from what I've heard but aren't built with the same quality components they used to use so they feel a bit flimsy. Used Trace gear is excellent value at the moment so long as you're happy lugging heavy equipment around. The valve amps they made are very good indeed but, as everybody knows this, they are really, really expensive. I'd go for it.

trace are great i used a series 6 in the early 90s not mine unfortunately but if all goes to plan in the next couple of days ill have myself a nice trace rig to play with. ive never come across anything that has as much versatility as a trace elliot unless your talking about an ampeg stv!!

Used TE stuff on & off over the years - good amps, but could never get the sound I wanted out of them. Always found myself constantly twiddling with graphic EQ, & found them to have too many knobs for me.

However, got an old V-Type last year & love it. Was a bargain I couldn't resist on Ebay & came with the matching 4x12 cab. One of the few amps I've ever used, whereby I've got the tone I want without endless fiddling. Just have all the controls; Bass,Mid & Treble set at 12 o'clock. :)

Edited by nick

Thanks all.

Seems to be a general consensus that the older gear is the stuff to look out for. If, indeed, I decide I can't live without it.

Redstriper - no idea, I am afraid, but I'll ask the guy when we go there again next week.

Alexharvey - yes, I had a little peek myself - but with my eyes closed. There is a full rig on Fleabay as well... again, not that I am looking.... but, yes, I will do that exact thing next week - hire the rig again and mix and match the elements of mine with it to see if I can narrow down what gives the sound - the head or the cab.

Stevie - a heavy head is fine, it's those monster cabs I worry about.

Nick - that is what was so cool - the eq was flat. I think there were a couple of buttons pushed in, no idea what they did, but there was no fiddling on my part. Plugged in and Wow! Exactly how I imagined I should sound.

Keep 'em coming guys!

So how much is a 6 month old, gigged once Mag C210 EVO II 300 combo plus slighly older but good nick ABM 210 ext cab worth these days?.... not enough, I fear.

[quote name='Paul S' post='465184' date='Apr 17 2009, 04:09 PM']Thanks all.

Seems to be a general consensus that the older gear is the stuff to look out for. If, indeed, I decide I can't live without it.

Redstriper - no idea, I am afraid, but I'll ask the guy when we go there again next week.

Alexharvey - yes, I had a little peek myself - but with my eyes closed. There is a full rig on Fleabay as well... again, not that I am looking.... but, yes, I will do that exact thing next week - hire the rig again and mix and match the elements of mine with it to see if I can narrow down what gives the sound - the head or the cab.

Stevie - a heavy head is fine, it's those monster cabs I worry about.

Nick - that is what was so cool - the eq was flat. I think there were a couple of buttons pushed in, no idea what they did, but there was no fiddling on my part. Plugged in and Wow! Exactly how I imagined I should sound.

Keep 'em coming guys!

So how much is a 6 month old, gigged once Mag C210 EVO II 300 combo plus slighly older but good nick ABM 210 ext cab worth these days?.... not enough, I fear.[/quote]i have a abm 2x10 for sale at the moment but have not had much joy as yet.mags will sell on ebay but might not make what you want for it!as for trace gear,very good imo.i had a 1x15 combo.7215c was the model i think and it was a nice sound.let me down once however but only cost £20 to put right.not that heavy either!go get one!

MB1. :)
Trace Elliot did do some one off custom coverings for combos and cabs.......Oasis Bassplayer Guigsey had some sky blue custom V8 cabs done to match the sky blue fender with MCFC crest!..... anybody else go for a custom TE?......Tis Pre Gibson!.

Edited by MB1

I'm currently gigging a Trace combo and Trace head which I run through a Warwick cab. Both sound great - the head and cab have the edge and sound huge. The combo doesn't take much fiddling to sound good though - click the pre-shape in and adjust an EQ balance dial to add aome extra bite and you're away.

The stuff is a bit heavy (wheels are your friend) but the sound is great. You can plug anything into them and make it sound good. Be aware though that old stuff (like old cars) does tend to visit amp techs on a regular basis!

I'd recommend starting off with one of the old 15" combos on here. They make great pub gig amps. The old 4x10 combos sound ace but are [i]very[/i] heavy.

Don't get hung up on the 'pre-Gibson' argument, in my experience all the old stuff seems to be good.

Edited by stingrayfan

Thanks again for the input. I need to decide what I want to do (which i think I have) and then make the right choices after maybe being a little hasty last time.

At the moment I'm thinking head + cab(s) would allow an intrinsically heavy piece of kit to become a lot more portable than a giant combo - my Ashdown 210 combo weighs in at around 35Kg I think so I may even shed a few kg by going down this route. Even if it means one more trip to and from the boot.

[quote name='Paul S' post='466789' date='Apr 19 2009, 03:52 PM']At the moment I'm thinking head + cab(s) would allow an intrinsically heavy piece of kit to become a lot more portable than a giant combo.[/quote]

Exactly!

Regarding the old TE 4x10" combos, although they have a nice punchy sound they're pretty restrictive tonally - not much bottom, not much upper mids and top - and they have very little power handling in the lows if you do try to get any depth from them. I regularly rehearse through one and when I do bother to take a Barefaced cab instead my bandmates tend to pester me to never use the TE because it's so muddy in comparison. However however easy it is to take a 32lb cab to rehearsal it's a lot easier to just use the 80lb one that's already there! :)

Alex

I've always had a great experience with the old gear. Jason above bought my SMX GP12 AH 400. Great amp, lots of different sounds, full and clear Trace trademark tone.

The only issue is the weight....they do weigh a fair bit. But, built like a tank, weigh like a tank! So you have to 'weigh' up your options hhahhah!

Ive never tried the cabs, old or new. Ive always heard good reviews on them though.

I wish they were still made like they used to be. It seemed they died off for a bit, and are slowly making a comeback. Id like to try a new one, but I doubt its what Im after.

If I had more helpful bandmates I would have hardcased my old Trace and kept it as my gigging/backup head, but I need something lightweight due to my Orange weighing a fair bit. I also need to be able to get it in the boot of an estate with ease.

You cant go wrong really. Pre Gibson is great, not tried Gibson stuff, and not tried Peavey. Shame they didnt just stay as they were.

Enjoy!

[quote name='MB1' post='465060' date='Apr 17 2009, 02:35 PM']MB1. :)
British and Earlier the better!.... Pre Gibson!....and Yes they are all quite heavy!...built to last! :rolleyes:[/quote]

+1
I had a GP 350 WATT COMBO. Unfortunately for me ,it was too awkward for my flat.
It didn't seem to like my Telecaster much either.And it was heavier than my sister in law.

I love the look tho' especially with LEDS .
Horses for courses ,I suppose. I thought that my Eden Nemesis,and Aguilar sounded much more clear and defined.

I think this is very generalised bias but for what it's worth.

Trace used to build things up to a quality in the early days - slowly they started building down to a price. By the time anything came in a furry cabinet it was utter rubbish that WILL fall to pieces in a gigging environment. I hear better things about the current range but I'm loath to bother trying it. I'd much rather pick up some old series 6 stuff - my fave - for a good price , have it checked out by a sparky and proceed with confidence. I found sounds I like easy to get , functions I actually used and I couldn't break it. That's all I require from amplification - to do its job while I crack on with mine.

[quote name='redstriper' post='465076' date='Apr 17 2009, 02:48 PM']Do you know the make and model of driver used in the Trace cab that you played through?

I have an old AH150 and it has a great tone with plenty of volume, which can sound very different with different speakers.
You should try your Ashdown amp played through the Trace cab for a better comparison with the AH150.[/quote]

+1. My ABM500 sounds great through a Trace 1153. If I still had my old 4x10 I imagine it would sound even better.

FWIW I love Trace gear and if it wasn't so bloody heavy I'd doubtless still be using it.

Edited by 4000

[quote name='alexclaber' post='466800' date='Apr 19 2009, 04:27 PM']Exactly!

Regarding the old TE 4x10" combos, although they have a nice punchy sound they're pretty restrictive tonally - not much bottom, not much upper mids and top - and they have very little power handling in the lows if you do try to get any depth from them. I regularly rehearse through one and when I do bother to take a Barefaced cab instead my bandmates tend to pester me to never use the TE because it's so muddy in comparison. However however easy it is to take a 32lb cab to rehearsal it's a lot easier to just use the 80lb one that's already there! :)

Alex[/quote]

My favourite cab that I've ever owned or played through (for my Ricks anyway) is my original painted wood, pre-Kevlar Mark 1 (?) Trace 4x10. It sounded wonderful, and I've been trying to replicate that in something lighter ever since. I wish i hadn't sold it. I've never heard anything that comes close for me, but then I'm after a very specific sound.

BTW, in terms of getting your tone the mid cut preshape on a Trace is the single most useful button in the world in getting my sound. I've had "plug in and play" amps that I cant get a sound out of at all, and yet with a Trace it takes me about 5 seconds. Of course YMMV.

Edited by 4000

1 vote for the new stuff! Sounds great to me, 12 band eq, valve drive, compression, any sound you like! A bit flimsy I think not made by Peavey when did they make flimsy stuff? In tests it was dropped out of a 3rd story building and worked fine with just a loose chasis (bass magazine), flimsy lol. The new stuff gets slated but not by the folks that buy it, you cant tell how it sounds in the corner of a shop, get it on a stage with a band and then say its crap!
I feel better now +1 for the new trace stuff (I know im getting me coat)

Well, in a rush of blood I just won this lot on eBay (I'm sure the seller won't mind my using his pic):

[attachment=24175:TErig.JPG]

AH300-12 head, 1153 plus 2103h cabs, all pre-Gibson and apparently in great nick. Like buses - suddenly a load come along together.

That was the easy bit. Now I need to get myself over the the other side of these isles to Wales, make sure it all works and bring it back. Assuming it exists...

Wish me luck!