Why become a member? ×

Distortion and overdrive pedals that are not Darkglass or Tech21 etc

fretmeister

8 hours ago, ern500evo said:

The Ashdown James Lomenzo Hyperdrive. When they appear in the classifieds, they’re normally cheap as chips. I think I only paid £49 for mine, brand new. 

Form factor is too big for me, but that is a great sounding pedal.

It was really good to see how he sets it up too.

13 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

An amazing pedal, which would sell like hotcakes if it was reasonably sized and had "Darkglass" "any-name-other-than-Ashdown" plastered over it!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

37 minutes ago, Bigwan said:

An amazing pedal, which would sell like hotcakes if it was reasonably sized and had "Darkglass" "any-name-other-than-Ashdown" plastered over it!

Completely agree, the size will certainly put a lot of folks off. I tinkered with mine for quite a while and then watched that video, that first tone he gets, which he describes as ‘just a little bit of crackle on top of the string sound’ just sounds so good. I’m actually messing around with some pedals now and thinking that for this weekends gig I may take the Darkglass X Ultra off my board and pop the Ashdown pedal back on. I’ve seen them sell for as little as £25, which is just crazy for how good they can sound 

7 minutes ago, ern500evo said:

Completely agree, the size will certainly put a lot of folks off. I tinkered with mine for quite a while and then watched that video, that first tone he gets, which he describes as ‘just a little bit of crackle on top of the string sound’ just sounds so good. I’m actually messing around with some pedals now and thinking that for this weekends gig I may take the Darkglass X Ultra off my board and pop the Ashdown pedal back on. I’ve seen them sell for as little as £25, which is just crazy for how good they can sound 

Still prefer mine to all the Darkglass X variants I've owned and sold. Being an inveterate tinkerer I've long been planning on doing my own version in a smaller enclosure, 1590BB portrait max, preferably 125B/Boss sized. Just getting the time is the problem!

Edited by Bigwan
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Bigwan said:

Still prefer mine to all the Darkglass X variants I've owned and sold. Being an inveterate tinkerer I've long been planning on doing my own version in a smaller enclosure, 1590BB portrait max, preferably 125B/Boss sized. Just getting the time is the problem!

That would be a great pedal! I’ve decided I’m taking mine to my gig on Saturday, fortunately it’s only marginally wider than my Darkglass XU, so I’ll just put it on the board in place of that. I think it would’ve sold in spades had it been the same size/form factor as something like a B3K. I know the VU meter is kind of Ashdowns trademark, but I am sure most players would gladly sacrifice it to make the pedal much smaller 

Edited by ern500evo

27 minutes ago, ern500evo said:

That would be a great pedal! I’ve decided I’m taking mine to my gig on Saturday, fortunately it’s only marginally wider than my Darkglass XU, so I’ll just put it on the board in place of that. I think it would’ve sold in spades had it been the same size/form factor as something like a B3K. I know the VU meter is kind of Ashdowns trademark, but I am sure most players would gladly sacrifice it to make the pedal much smaller 

Never been a fan of the vu in a pedal. Totally pointless...

• Like 2

100% agree Ashdown are missing a trick in not re realising the Hyperdrive in a small package... Love mine (it stacks fantastically with other drives) and have kept it but no space on the board for such a monstrosity

Edited by danbowskill
  • Like 1

Those hyperdrive's are fantastic!  I had one as an always on drive for years.  I met James Lomenzo around that time and couldn't stop talking about how tremendous it was.

Currently getting my distortion and drive from a EHX Sovtek Big Muff Deluxe and Hot Wax... the amount of options available between these two is fantastic, especially the Sovtek.  Between the clean blend, footswitchable-sweepable-active mids and noise gate, it's just a well thought out, fantastic thing and all analogue.

Form factor for both is a bit huge, but worth the real estate IMO.

20220724_234419.jpg

Edited by thisisswanbon
Image added
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Currently using (again) my Joyo British Sound. Cheap and pink! Does the lower gain stuff well as well as Lemmy style drive. Always keeps the bottom end and the mid control combined with the voice gives me a wide range of very usable sounds. 

Might not work for everyone and as usual, its only one factor along with bass, strings, pick/fingers, amp etc. Its certainly not just a "Marshall in a box" sound

10 minutes ago, NAS Bass said:

Currently using (again) my Joyo British Sound. Cheap and pink! Does the lower gain stuff well as well as Lemmy style drive. Always keeps the bottom end and the mid control combined with the voice gives me a wide range of very usable sounds. 

Might not work for everyone and as usual, its only one factor along with bass, strings, pick/fingers, amp etc. Its certainly not just a "Marshall in a box" sound

Similarly, the Joyo American Sound gives a nice growl with no loss of bottom end. Based (unsurprisingly) on a Fender tone stack and sound.

• 1 month later...
On 29/07/2022 at 11:56, Jonse said:

Xotic BB bass preamp!

Super versatile yet easy to use. A constant on every board I've done since I've had it. They come up used every now and again. 

preview (2).jpg

This is the best overdrive I have used. Based on a tubescreamer but the eq is great. I play a jazz, mainly bridge pickup and this adds just the right amount of breakup and extra low end. No idea why Xotic stopped making these? I emailed them and they said they have a new version coming out in 2023.

Edited by Bassy

JPTR FX have a couple of good overdrive/distortion pedals. The Jive is a clone of an Akai tape machine preamp, it has 3 diode switches for different amounts of drive. It's odd sounding but very cool. they also make the Tesla Wolf which is a distortion. It's quite bright sounding but you can trim that with the tone knob, plus it has a dry level as well.

The Crook by Poison Noises is also pretty coo. Its basically an OCD with a couple of switches and a bass volume.

Edited by bassist_lewis
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Bit of a thread revival, but I thought I’d post here as I recall there being some fans of the Lomenzo Hyperdrive here. Going by a comment from Mark Gooday on a post on their FB page, it would appear we are about to get a new Lomenzo pedal. Please let it be as good as the original bit in a much smaller enclosure! 
edit to say this is in reply to a comment asking for a new Hyperdrive. 

697870F4-E29F-48E0-B690-1D870052B328.png

Edited by ern500evo
  • Like 5