Why become a member? ×

Platty Joobs concert (apologies!) bass spotting

Clarky

I was not a fan of Duran Duran back in the day but I was impressed with their performance tonight. Tight band. Even LeBon's vocals were strong and true. The bass sounded full and clear.  Kudos to the sound engineers for a really good job.

• Like 1

Jimmy Sims (absolutely top chap) is playing bass for George Ezra at the moment. He hasn’t had that lilac Mullarkey very long at all and it’s gone straight into service. Great to see one of Viv’s basses on such a high profile stage. Unfortunately, this will do nothing to make them more affordable for me :( .

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Clarky said:

George Ezra bassist - Wilcock Mullarkey and Shergold Marathon

Duran Duran's John Taylor - Dingwall something or other

Celeste bassist - Fender (57?) P

So far

Hans Zimmer’s bass player was using a P. Same guy as for Celeste?

Edited by ezbass

23 minutes ago, Clarky said:

Think he was orchestrating Celeste singing Wonderful World

Would have been so much better as an instrumental . Barely one note sung in tune,

and not in a key where she could convey the melody properly either.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, casapete said:

Would have been so much better as an instrumental . Barely one note sung in tune,

Agree, she has a strong but very singular voice (as did Nina Simone) and I don't she did the song justice and vice versa

5 minutes ago, casapete said:

Totally agree, a very painful listening experience.

I was enjoying the Duran Duran performance until that woman came on and started rapping halfway through one track.

• Like 2

Just now, tauzero said:

Veering slightly from the subject - Rod Stewart was shockingly bad. Don't they check out the acts before booking them in?

His voice has lost its power and - given his great back catalogue - WTF was he doing singing Sweet Caroline, with which he has zero association? Might just as well have sung Sex on Fire

1 minute ago, tauzero said:

Veering slightly from the subject - Rod Stewart was shockingly bad. Don't they check out the acts before booking them in?

Agreed, he was pretty dire. And ‘Sweet Caroline’ FFS? He couldn’t reach the lower notes, 

and missed most of the rest. 

6 minutes ago, casapete said:

Agreed, he was pretty dire. And ‘Sweet Caroline’ FFS? He couldn’t reach the lower notes, 

and missed most of the rest. 

In an earlier interview he said he was singing a song that he’d never sung before and at the end of his set I thought I heard him mutter that he was told to sing it by the BBC.

I wasn’t over impressed by the direction. Too much looking at the audience or computer graphics on Buck House and very little of the artists who were working their socks off.

Edited by obbm
  • Like 1

I thought the lighting and graphics were excellent and suited the immense platform of the event. I think if you were halfway down The Mall that’s all you would see. 

Edited by Velarian
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, MGBrown said:

Kudos to the sound engineers for a really good job.

I found myself wondering how complicated it must have been managing the foldback mixes for the various artists and support musicians. 

I thought Queen were OK, the musicals section wasn't bad, and Hans Zimmer was OK. Duran Duran were by far the best part of the night, I hadn't realized what a simply great band they are. And I now want that Dingwall!

The rest of it was meh...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, steantval said:

I was enjoying the Duran Duran performance until that woman came on and started rapping halfway through one track.

I thought the rap brought it bang up to date and added some levity and modern day relevance.  Hey ho.

• Like 1

I only watched it to see a friend of mine who was singing in the choir (I did, several times) and to see if Jimmy Sims was using the Wilcock. It might’ve been our TV, but I found the mix dreadful, way too much ambient sound. They should’ve just taken a board feed IMO. Whilst no one really shone, I found Rod particularly dreadful and I would remind Lloyd Webber that The Mousetrap has been running for 70 years too; it’s not all about musicals you effete, platitude* laden, berk. Given the nature of the event, I think they should’ve had more British acts (Jones the Voice would have been a decent addition for instance) rather than those from the former colony that kicked out HM’s forbears.

*I’m quite pleased to have shoe horned that in, given the thread title.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ezbass said:

Jimmy Sims (absolutely top chap) is playing bass for George Ezra at the moment. He hasn’t had that lilac Mullarkey very long at all and it’s gone straight into service. Great to see one of Viv’s basses on such a high profile stage. Unfortunately, this will do nothing to make them more affordable for me :( .

Absolutely love that lilac Mullarkey - I didn't know JS had it (maybe there are a few around?)  Fabulous colour and I think it's the work of Bow Finishers - utterly superb.  I think Jimmy sold a 751 on here recently.  Good to see that he's still a user!