Why become a member? ×

Recombining a split signal?

MacDaddy

Just a thought at the moment, but I'm thinking how I could recombine a split signal?

If the effected output from a synth pedal is put through a delay pedal, how can it be recombined with the dry out, so they can both be put through a single amp input?

Or would putting the effected signal through the FX loop return work?

I've a little two input mixer made by Max of SFX-Sound. It's called a micro mix and it's a microphone pedal sized enclosure. - You can, if you are handy with a soldering iron make up a passive mixer network just resistors, even mounted inside the jacks of a custom Y cable, but its handy to know what the idea values would be.

Just now, Dood said:

I've a little two input mixer made by Max of SFX-Sound. It's called a micro mix and it's a microphone pedal sized enclosure. - You can, if you are handy with a soldering iron make up a passive mixer network just resistors, even mounted inside the jacks of a custom Y cable, but its handy to know what the idea values would be.

I found a picture on Talkbass! mix2-jpg.2514124

• Like 1

Sounds like something that an LS2 will do.

Effects loop might work, if it is parallel, but you will have no ability to control how much of each signal unless you have a blend control on it. And you have no guarantee that a line-level loop will work as expected with instrument-level pedals.

• Like 1

So, in the case of the ehx tri mixer, once the bass is connected you have access to 3 parallel, switchable, channels. Plug your synth into a channel and you can control the send level and and return mix, plus phase.... and it's switchable.... and you have 2 other channels to play with.

• Thanks 1

The OBNE has an input and two effects send/return loops which can be used as a send/return loop, a send (eg. to a tuner), or an input into a return. You can set the level of each and the loops have a phase switch.

With all used as inputs it’s a 3-way mixer. 
Their website shows examples. 
One thing I have found is that it doesn’t like an unconnected wire into one of its inputs. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had Bright Onion make me a custom pedal for exactly this purpose. I was able to decide upon the exact spec I wanted. Took a few short weeks and cost around £40 if memory serves. This was back in 2017 but still, I’m sure their prices are still very reasonable. Top notch service from a great UK company.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CameronJ said:

I had Bright Onion make me a custom pedal for exactly this purpose. I was able to decide upon the exact spec I wanted. Took a few short weeks and cost around £40 if memory serves. This was back in 2017 but still, I’m sure their prices are still very reasonable. Top notch service from a great UK company.

Are they still not doing custom work?

On 15/04/2022 at 16:27, MacDaddy said:

Thanks for the replies.

What would the routing be for each of your options?

For the LS-02, I think you need A+B Mode, Synth dry out into LS-2 loop A, Synth wet into Delay into LS-2 loop B, output into amp. You'll also need a dummy plug in the main input to switch the unit on.

Edited by pete.young
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I can't recommend getting a phase switch enough, it's worth whatever extra you have to pay just to not have your signal (or parts of it) disappear when you're approaching a 50/50 blend.

Unless you've got an oscilloscope or similar device for checking the signal phase then a phase reverse switch is a must.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 08/06/2023 at 13:41, MacDaddy said:

Would these do the job? They're all available on the Amazon. I'm guessing they are made by the same company and sold by the different brands?

61-iCxggDHL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.

6134zRP8WdL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_FMwebp_

51oOzcULdmL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

21 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

I thinking (hoping) this will do the job, and allow me to play:

Just synth pedal output 1.

Just synth pedal output 2 (octave)

Both synth pedal outputs.

preview.jpg

Because these, unlike the other suggestions in this thread, are passive and not buffered you could potentially run into impedance issues. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

I thinking (hoping) this will do the job, and allow me to play:

Just synth pedal output 1.

Just synth pedal output 2 (octave)

Both synth pedal outputs.

preview.jpg

I used one of these for recombining bass and guitar sound ala Royal blood. It did the job perfectly with no issues whatsoever. I could easily switch between bass sound, guitar sound, or both combined. 

• Thanks 1