Why become a member? ×

Squier 40th Anniversary Precision Bass - thoughts

cetera

On 08/02/2023 at 17:44, mario_buoninfante said:

Interesting you get noise with P basses. Have you got to the bottom of it? Any noise source in your place? eg neon lights

Basses with split coils or humbuckers can have noise.  It could be RFI or from the amp.  Poor earthing/shielding is a common cause.  I have picked up radio stations from really bad instrument cables.

54 minutes ago, BillyBass said:

Basses with split coils or humbuckers can have noise.  It could be RFI or from the amp.  Poor earthing/shielding is a common cause.  I have picked up radio stations from really bad instrument cables.

Yap, I know all basses can have noise issues. I was genuinely interested in the noise source and whether or not had been isolated/found.

On 12/01/2023 at 12:22, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Another convert to the Squier gang here. I've got a Bass VI and recently bought a 50s Precision.

Regardless of price, they are simply superb instruments. I'm going to buy a white 50s P soon and mod it like Chris Squire's.

20230106_130219.jpg

Here's my new 50s Precision. It's got a slightly slimmer neck than the natural one. These are not subtle instruments - with a bit of overdrive they just roar. I'm very, very impressed.

I am a man of my word but I'm not sure I can bring myself to carve this one up... 

20230115_152835.jpg

• Like 6

I ventured down to Sheffield to try out and likely buy a 2nd hand American professional II P bass for £1500 which I thought was a great deal with the hardcase. But I saw one of these squires while I was there and thought I'd give it a try and compare the 2. I ended up walking away with the squire! I can't believe how good these basses are, they sound and feel phenomenal, the rolled edges on the frets make it so comfortable. I now don't see the need for spending the £1500+ on an American one. 

New%20bass.heic

Edited by maidens97
  • Like 6

• 5 months later...

Unsure how old this thread is or if I am too late. But anyway!

I was in a shop for something else & have never had any sort of hankering for a Fender, but whilst I was there I played a P Bass to scratch an annoying itch to see what the fuss was about & to my surprise I quite liked it.  There were a few other P & J basses on the wall & there was a red one that caught my eye, I asked the guy if I could play that and found it really nice, I actually thought the neck felt nicer & liked the matt finish, sound wise couldn't tell any difference to the other one, maybe had a touch more at either end of the tone range.  All things being equal I would of taken the red one.

The weird thing is I didn't even know that it was a Squier at first, I just liked the look of it, I actually asked to play the other one 1st (I didn't know the price of either) as I thought the red one was a more expensive version.

So when I found out / realised it was a Squier (I didn't even look I just played it as I wasn't particularly interested in Fenders) and it was £400 I was blown away when comparing to the Fender which I was told was £1700.  BTW even if I hadn't tried the Squier in no way would I spend any where near £1700 on the Fender, to me it just didn't warrant it, couldn't work out what you'd be paying for.

The guy in the shop was a P bass player for years & I got him to play both and to me they sounded so similar there was really nothing in it, he was a very good player & made both sound great.  He reckoned Squier has really upped its standards with this bass and unless you 'had' to have a Fender why not get one of these, he also thought the Fender was marginally better but in no way anyway near £1300 better.  However his view was that if he had the money he would probably get the / a Fender as he was one of those 'have to have a Fender' guys but probably a £1200ish one, but also admitted that he may have unconscious bias towards Fender.

I was lucky I suppose to not have any bias and so could make a subjective decision, I actually preferred the red one & when factoring in the price difference, no brainer.  A week later I traded my Sterling Sub 4 & I bought the Squier, I had absolutely no intention of buying when I 1st went in.

Its now even made me consider selling my Warwick (which I never thought I would) and getting an affordable range 5 string bass and a 4 string fretless (and probably have change) as clearly the quality in this section of the market is much better than it used to be.

Anyway that's my tuppence worth, cheers.

• Like 7

Squier seem to have upped their game , and I’m seeing more and more players very happy to play them. My only Squier is a Bass VI. I bought it simply to fool around with. And after putting on a stiffer string set was very happy with it. I had to slightly file the nut for the heavier strings. No biggie. I would never have sprung for vintage or even Custom Shop for a guilty pleasure , but was happy to buy the Squier , and very happy with the quality.

Great little bass toy! I spend a surprising amount of time with it. So it was well worth picking up.

• Like 1

I bought one of these around the end of March. £300, B stock because it didn't come in the original box. Not a mark on the bass itself.  

It feels, plays and sounds great. I absolutely love playing it and the fact it was such a bargain.

I previously had a 2010 American standard precision which I just didn't gel with and got rid off.

I had been playing a short scale for the last couple of years, but as much as I liked it, I just couldn't get the 'big piano' tone I was after. 

This delivers!

Currently gassing for the seafoam green jazz from the same line.

20230328_153432.thumb.jpg.188111733b217e9c9af084535583160e.jpg

20230328_153240.thumb.jpg.083446e011e1c843425c0cc739e5e020.jpg

image.thumb.png.5b1592819232324ecd8a56abecf8a752.png

Edited by sPiKi
  • Like 10

23 hours ago, Raslee said:

So…this happened today. Had it plek’d from Peach guitars too. I am truly amazed and a proud Squier owner…very proud!

IMG_5585.thumb.jpeg.dfa74ecc0359b8dd4f4612b006b92482.jpeg

I’m still gobsmacked on just how good these basses sound and play. I feel no need to upgrade anything. I heard they were good but I’m truly dumbfounded! 

• Like 5

On 02/08/2023 at 18:36, Raslee said:

So…this happened today. Had it plek’d from Peach guitars too. I am truly amazed and a proud Squier owner…very proud!

IMG_5585.thumb.jpeg.dfa74ecc0359b8dd4f4612b006b92482.jpeg

Yeah that's the same one I have, I also really like the feel of the neck & how it looks kinda aged, but not. Glad you like it.

• Thanks 1

Squier's been making good basses for quite some time. The Vintage Modified line and especially the Classic Vibe line have always been the way to go.

As for those who put down basses made in China, the Crafted In China Squiers prove how little they know...I wouldn't trade mine for two MIM Fenders.

Now, for quite some time I thought it'd be hard to find a better Squier than my CV, but I bought a Contemporary Active Jazz a few years ago and most recently added two new CA basses, and it's getting hard to find a favorite.

(Used the Skyburst Metallic Jazz for rehearsal Saturday and it surpassed my expectations.)

PhotoCollage_1643345162105.jpg

PhotoCollage_1690743162186.jpg

Edited by jd56hawk
  • Like 3

On 02/08/2023 at 19:26, msb said:

Squier seem to have upped their game

They probably felt they needed to, with Thomann/Harley Benton squeezing them from below and Sire pressing down on them from above. I've always said that G&L Tributes should also be in that mix too but G&L still seems to be a relative enigma in the grand scheme of things.

Ive owned tons of Fenders and old Squires, but the current sleeper for me is the CV70's P basses. Blimey, the one I've got in walnut is literally perfect. Kinda chunky but light weight, tone, finish....and with the baseball bat neck is hard to put down......Not even |Fender do the thick 70's neck. Perfect

• Like 1

On 02/08/2023 at 19:45, sPiKi said:

I bought one of these around the end of March. £300, B stock because it didn't come in the original box. Not a mark on the bass itself.  

It feels, plays and sounds great. I absolutely love playing it and the fact it was such a bargain.

I previously had a 2010 American standard precision which I just didn't gel with and got rid off.

I had been playing a short scale for the last couple of years, but as much as I liked it, I just couldn't get the 'big piano' tone I was after. 

This delivers!

Currently gassing for the seafoam green jazz from the same line.

20230328_153432.thumb.jpg.188111733b217e9c9af084535583160e.jpg

20230328_153240.thumb.jpg.083446e011e1c843425c0cc739e5e020.jpg

image.thumb.png.5b1592819232324ecd8a56abecf8a752.png

That sea foam green jazz is lovely. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't take me long to succumb to the GAS! Picked this up locally this week. Another really lovely bass. Heavier than my 40th P and feels substantial. Big sound and is more throaty than my Amer Std. These are great basses and incredible value for money. 

20230817_113957.thumb.jpg.6529749c0d364942752c66d81f5de845.jpg

20230817_114003.thumb.jpg.7db4ce74b36351090fa62e3b4ef9c9fc.jpg

• Like 6