Why become a member? ×

Short scale jazz basses, what's out there?

Osiris

I'm considering buying another bass, due to a damaged never in my wrist I can no longer play anything above 30" scale for any length of time without pains and cramping up so it has to be a short scale, no more than 30". I currently own 2 Mustangs so have the Precision-esque tones covered and so I'm thinking about something jazz bass like, but trawling about online it doesn't look as though there is much choice. Budget is around about a grand, maybe a little more for the right bass. Preferably passive too as I prefer the warmth of passive pickups to active ones. 

There's the MARUSZCZYK Elwood which looks like a perfect candidate. The Maruzythingy website has a configurator where you can spec pretty much whatever you want, it offers shed loads of options for customising everything from colour to fretboard radius, pickup types and so on. The only thing making me hesitate is that I know virtually nothing about the brand, are they well regarded? I also seem to have a vague recollection of there being concerns over them in the past but can't remember what those concerns where, if any. 

There's also the Ashdown short scale Grail bass. Despite having Ashdown on the headstock they're made in collaboration Dan Lakin (I think that's his name, anyway, the guy who set up Lakland) and was released a couple of years ago and what little I can find online about them is all positive. But nowhere seems to have these in stock at the minute, possibly another victim of Covid?

There's also a couple of Reverend models that look interesting but again it's not a brand that I'm particularly familiar with but online opinions seem universally positive. 

In the past I had a 30.5" scale Warwick Corvette which sounded great but even that extra half an inch made all the difference (as Mrs Osiris can testify) in terms of comfort and playability for me so that was moved on. Plus I was ambivalent about the looks. 

There was also a short lived Fender jazz (possibly a PJ configuration IIRC, Chinese made, I think?) that was around £300 new a few years ago but used prices seem to be double that now. Not sure that I want to spend that much on what was a budget instrument in the first place unless it's something really special and not just rarity pushing the prices up. 

There's also the various short scale Stingrays but having had a go on the lovely @Adee's short scale American built jobbie they're definitely not for me. It was exquisitely built but I just can't stand that weird nasal midrange thing that Stingrays are known for. 

Is there anything else out there, 30" scale, jazz-ish inspired - although I'm open to other options, around the £1000 mark? 

• Like 1

You could look at the current American Performer Mustang, it's got a Mustang pickup and Jazz pickup, different tones to a regular PJ configuration, can sound quite Jazz like. Just over a grand, if you can find one in stock. I think there's one for sale on here.

There is also the Chowny Scott Whitley when they are available again. https://chownybass.com/product/swb-1-scott-whitley-signature/

Or, for something a little out there, a headless Ibanez https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/201102363660025--ibanez-ehb1000s-sea-foam-green-matte-short-scale-bass

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 1

If money is not an issue, I would suggest a Serek Midwestern 2 with Serek Singles pickups. If you’re into the Mustang shape, I’ve seen the Atelier Z BabyZ which is an active/passive jazz monster of a Mustang. That one is quite cheap as well (less than a grand on Reverb used).

Edited by Owno
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Owno said:

If money is not an issue, I would suggest a Serek Midwestern 2 with Serek Singles pickups. If you’re into the Mustang shape, I’ve seen the Atelier Z BabyZ which is an active/passive jazz monster of a Mustang. That one is quite cheap as well (less than a grand on Reverb used).

Yeah! A waiting list I think, but... YEAH!

There is always ACG too, if you're willing to stretch your budget.

Just now, Owno said:

Yes - a 10 month wait, but the basses are so good! 

It was hearing a Serek that sent me down the short scale rabbit hole. Just pressed 'add to basket' on a Sterling 'Ray SS. It may not be a keeper because I normally like a wider nut width, but I'll give it a go as the YT demos sound just what I want to compliment my JMJ Mustang.

Sorry, Lord of the Dead, this is about you, not my insatiable GAS :sorry:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, ezbass said:

It was hearing a Serek that sent me down the short scale rabbit hole. Just pressed 'add to basket' on a Sterling 'Ray SS. It may not be a keeper because I normally like a wider nut width, but I'll give it a go as the YT demos sound just what I want to compliment my JMJ Mustang.

Sorry, Lord of the Dead, this is about you, not my insatiable GAS :sorry:

Same here, but for some reason I bought and sold three shorties before I finally ordered a Midwestern. 🙄

Another option around a grand could be a Rebirth Custom Guitars Jazzmaster Bass. I’ve had one before and it was a great bass. They’re made to order by Taka Hirose (Feeder) in Yorkshire:

82129AEB-66C8-4C41-9AD1-E14B3C9EA971.jpeg

Edited by Owno
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, ezbass said:

Thanks Private, I'd forgotten all about the Sire U5 and it's certainly a contender especially considering its price and the fact that they are so highly regarded. On a superficial level I'm not fussed about the huge headstock or the current colour options but it's got to be worth tracking one down to try. 

2 hours ago, Skin Lewis said:

You could look at the current American Performer Mustang, it's got a Mustang pickup and Jazz pickup, different tones to a regular PJ configuration, can sound quite Jazz like. Just over a grand, if you can find one in stock. I think there's one for sale on here.

I have tried an American Performer Mustang and wasn't overly fussed about it. It was well made but very polite sounding, kind of lacking in character, if that makes sense. Again with the lovely @Adee we did a side by side of the American Performer against the JMJ Mustang and the PJ Mustang. Of the 3 we both felt the JMJ was the clear winner in terms of tone and it just oozes cool. I personally preferred the cheaper PJ over the Performer, the PJ sounded more like a Fender, it does classic P tones and the bridge pickup adds to the versatility. The Performer was better finished and nicer to play but IMO the tone of the PJ had a ton more appeal against the Performer which sounded a bit bland in comparison. 

2 hours ago, ezbass said:

There is also the Chowny Scott Whitley when they are available again. https://chownybass.com/product/swb-1-scott-whitley-signature/

Or, for something a little out there, a headless Ibanez https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/201102363660025--ibanez-ehb1000s-sea-foam-green-matte-short-scale-bass

I briefly had one of the lower spec Chowny Scott Whitley bass and it sounded fantastic, no idea what the pickups are in it but they are super punchy. But the reason it don't last long for me was the playing position, the lack of top horn means that when playing it on a strap the first fret was more or less the same distance away as on a 34" bass which totally defeated the object of a short scale for me. So off it went PDQ! 

1 hour ago, Owno said:

Hmm, not sure about the looks of the Serek basses but they seem to be highly regarded so might as well add it to the list.

But the Atelier Z BabyZ is not something I've seen before and that looks perfect and is within budget, although there's likely to be a 20% or more import fee to add on top. Still, I really like the look of it and although I don't know much about Atelier Z they seem to be a well regarded brand. 

51 minutes ago, Owno said:

Same here, but for some reason I bought and sold three shorties before I finally ordered a Midwestern. 

Another option around a grand could be a Rebirth Custom Guitars Jazzmaster Bass. I’ve had one before and it was a great bass. They’re made to order by Taka Hirose (Feeder) in Yorkshire:

82129AEB-66C8-4C41-9AD1-E14B3C9EA971.jpeg

Ooh, I like that a lot! Well, not sure about the gold scratch plate but that could easily be binned off for something less blingy! Can't seem to find much online about them, assuming it's not the same as the American Rebirth guitar company if they're built in Yorkshire. Have you got a link or any other details, please?

Just now, Osiris said:

Ooh, I like that a lot! Well, not sure about the gold scratch plate but that could easily be binned off for something less blingy! Can't seem to find much online about them, assuming it's not the same as the American Rebirth guitar company if they're built in Yorkshire. Have you got a link or any other details, please?

Yeah, you gotta love the old gumbyesque Epiphone basses in order to get along well with a Serek bass. It is a meticulously crafted bass though!

I don‘t know anything about the Atelier Z basses either, but dig the look. Give us a review if you pull the trigger!

Check out Rebirth Custom Guitars on Facebook and Instagram. All his builds are equipped with Mojo Pickups and pickguards from Axion Custom works (which makes the most beautiful tortoise guards!).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

Wilcock Mullarkey (other finishes are available).

FA652626-7FD4-4264-BD4F-B968452659FD.jpeg

Quite like the look of those but they're over budget unfortunately.

1 hour ago, warwickhunt said:

Nordstrand Acinonyx?  

Quite distinctive and quirky but quality parts and the necks are lovely.

image.png.209e46205772cdaaf15e63f402bca51f.png

Juries still out on those! I'd need to try one to make a decision as to whether I could live with one, I like the styling oher than the daft headstock and I'm not so sure about all the various buttons which I'd likely try out and then never bother with again! But that's just me being a finicky Sod 😀 

1 hour ago, skankdelvar said:

Bloke selling a (supposedly) short-scale, 1970s Avon 'Jazz' on eBay, opening at £130, collection NE London or nearby. Rout it for Jazz pups?

s-l1600.jpg

Nope. Low-end, plywood starter junk only suitable for dewy-eyed nostalgists to hang on the wall. I know of which I speak - my first bass in 1978 was one of these (same but with two sh!t pickups) and it damn near put me off playing at all.

Now - if this came with a maple board I'd have bought one ages ago. £109:

https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/J-D-Bass-guitar-JB-Mini-BK-Black/art-BAS0007167-000

j-und-d-bass-guitar-jb-mini-bk-black_1_B

Other colours are available but you'll have to wait 'til June for the pretty transparent blue.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/J-D-Bass-guitar-JB-Mini-BK-Black/art-BAS0007167-000

Other colours are available but you'll have to wait 'til June for the pretty transparent blue.

was it you or someone else who had worked out these were the same as the Chinese Tokai or something? 

Just now, LukeFRC said:

was it you or someone else who had worked out these were the same as the Chinese Tokai or something? 

Not the little Jazz shorty, but my £115 J&D Thinline Tele is near-identical to a Tokai Breezysound Thinline. Basically just a different headstock & logo, as far as I can tell:

Tokai

J&D

OK, £129 now, had mine 3 or 4 years. Plays & sounds like a far, far more expensive guitar.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Paul S said:

Danelectro basses sound rather like Jazz basses.  Not so much the neck pickup on it's own but when you combine both you get that similar burpy thing happening.

Which Danelectro models have you had experience with? I'm only familiar with longhorn but always thought it looked too fragile although I've never seen one in the flesh nor played one.

11 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

Bloke selling a (supposedly) short-scale, 1970s Avon 'Jazz' on eBay, opening at £130, collection NE London or nearby. Rout it for Jazz pups?

s-l1600.jpg

Thanks Colonel, but unfortunately it looks like Bassassin's damming opinion has ruled that out already 😕 and that's before getting into the lack of knowledge, tools and inclination to undertake any major surgery such as routing due to pathological incompetence on my part!

9 hours ago, Bassassin said:

Nope. Low-end, plywood starter junk only suitable for dewy-eyed nostalgists to hang on the wall. I know of which I speak - my first bass in 1978 was one of these (same but with two sh!t pickups) and it damn near put me off playing at all.

A mate of mine had one of the 34" scale J&D jazzes a few years ago and it was a fantastic thing to play, really comfortable and looked great too, it was the seafoam green one with black hardware. I think he may have upgraded the pickups but my opinion of it was it being a cracking bass.

But I think I've got caught up in that I need to spend a lot of money to get something decent mentality which I know from experience isn't always the case. For example, I have one of the cheap and cheerful Ibanez Talman short scales and it is one of my favourite basses that I've ever played in more than 35 years. It looks like the unfortunate result of a Fender Jaguar having had a gang bang with several of the Mr. Men but it's a solid, well built and highly resonant bass, plus I love the chunky neck profile. It's had around £50 worth of upgrades to replace the hardware as the original fittings were low quality albeit functional, but then again this is a bass that only costs £150 new. But the flipside of that argument is that a more expensive bass will likely be good to go as is rather than require some tweaks and upgrades. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Osiris said:

Which Danelectro models have you had experience with? I'm only familiar with longhorn but always thought it looked too fragile although I've never seen one in the flesh nor played one.

The Longhorn and the '56 single cut, which are both short scale.  Although they look different they sound pretty much the same.  Also the long scale DC sounds pretty much the same as well.  Based on that I assume, but don't know, that the others sound alike as well but I never got to try any so far.  Despite the lack of solid materials they seem pretty robust (I haven't broken one yet!) and are amongst the lightest basses you can get.  For me the pick of these is the Longhorn - I've had a couple although don't own one currently and I just love the shape :) - but they are decent basses.  At one point I had the '56 and a Hofner Ignition Club side by side as I wanted a lightweight hollow thump in my life and the Dano was a better bass by some measure. 

• Thanks 1