Why become a member? ×

Short scale jazz basses, what's out there?

Osiris

I should add, if you are interested int he Grail shortscale, I would just give Ashdown a shout directly, they can let you know where there is stock.

They seem to allow you to spec and buy on their site direct >> https://ashdownmusic.com/products/the-grail-short-scale

They're also promoting the model on Instagram currently too...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZY2s36setL/?utm_medium=copy_link

Edited by eude

1 hour ago, eude said:

I should add, if you are interested int he Grail shortscale, I would just give Ashdown a shout directly, they can let you know where there is stock.

They seem to allow you to spec and buy on their site direct >> https://ashdownmusic.com/products/the-grail-short-scale

They're also promoting the model on Instagram currently too...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZY2s36setL/?utm_medium=copy_link

Cheers, the short scale Grail is already on my shortlist but good shout on dropping Ashdown a line regarding stock. They were released to great fanfare a couple of years ago but I can't currently find any in stock in the UK. The few reviews online are universally positive which is a good sign, add into that Ashdown's legendary customer service and it does indeed look like the one to go for.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Osiris said:

Which Danelectro models have you had experience with? I'm only familiar with longhorn but always thought it looked too fragile although I've never seen one in the flesh nor played one.

I've had a Longhorn for years, and toured with it a few times. They're a lot more sturdy than they might at first appear, mine is a late 90's Korean one, and remains unmarked and in top condition. Very light, cheap, and sounds great. Well worth a try if you can find one.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Skin Lewis said:

I've had a Longhorn for years, and toured with it a few times. They're a lot more sturdy than they might at first appear, mine is a late 90's Korean one, and remains unmarked and in top condition. Very light, cheap, and sounds great. Well worth a try if you can find one.

Thanks, just had another look at the Longhorn online and the more I look at it the more it unsettles me 😃

• Haha 1

The various Supro Huntington's look a possibilty, I think the white 2 pickup model looks great.

Tried a Gretsch a couple of year back but it didn't grab me, although they seem to be well regarded by many.

As for a Hofner... No. Just no. ;)

They remind me of Paul Mcartney, he who holds the dubious honour of being the only person who my usually placid Mother has said she'd dearly love to punch in the face. And for that reason alone I just couldn't have one :lol:

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Osiris said:

The various Supro Huntington's look a possibilty, I think the white 2 pickup model looks great.

Tried a Gretsch a couple of year back but it didn't grab me, although they seem to be well regarded by many.

As for a Hofner... No. Just no. ;)

They remind me of Paul Mcartney, he who holds the dubious honour of being the only person who my usually placid Mother has said she'd dearly love to punch in the face. And for that reason alone I just couldn't have one :lol:

Your mum sounds like a wise woman.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Osiris said:

Thanks, just had another look at the Longhorn online and the more I look at it the more it unsettles me 😃

I know what you mean - mine unsettles me whenever I spot it on the wall :o.  It's in "pink burst " too.......

Close up, it looks like someone's Grandad made it in the shed out of what was lying around, but they're great to play, and can sound huge. 

• Haha 1