Why become a member? ×

Freedom to play full time music

AM1

This is purely theoretical.

The phone rings tomorrow and you get offered a slot on a tour, but you have to be able to pack a bag and leave in say, a week, learning the basslines along the way.

How many people are in a position to say yes straight away? If not, what would you have to sacrifice in order to say yes?

[quote name='AM1' post='456971' date='Apr 7 2009, 11:50 PM']This is purely theoretical.

The phone rings tomorrow and you get offered a slot on a tour, but you have to be able to pack a bag and leave in say, a week, learning the basslines along the way.

How many people are in a position to say yes straight away? If not, what would you have to sacrifice in order to say yes?[/quote]

I'd be gone only thing I'd need to leave is my job and my boss would take me back.

[quote name='AM1' post='456971' date='Apr 7 2009, 11:50 PM']How many people are in a position to say yes straight away? If not, what would you have to sacrifice in order to say yes?[/quote]

Not in a position to say yes until August, which is when I stop being a pupil barrister and become a fully fledged barrister. (If I said yes, I'd miss out on ever being a fully qualified barrister.)

After July, so long as I have £400-odd per month for Chambers' rent and £350-odd for bills and another £250-odd for the service charge on my flat, I should be fine.

Realistically, I'd probably make more money with the day job.

My keyboard player turned down the Kelly Rowland gig because he can't gig Friday night/Saturday daytime because it's his Sabbath (he's a Seventh Day Adventist).

I turned down the Corinne Bailey Rae gig (before her record came out) because my friend (her guitarist and MD of her band at the time) didn't think it was going to go anywhere and I didn't want to get into proper session work. (I wouldn't have been good enough to keep the gig anyway!)

I'm sure everyone on here has a sad story or two but the saddest story I've heard is of Binky McKenzie, who was a real cutting edge jazz/rock/blues/r&b bassist from the London scene in the late '60s. Just when he was about to get the call from Miles Davis for his jazz-rock fusion supergroup together with friend and bandmate John McLaughlin, he went mad and murdered his mum. Was locked up in an asylum for the rest of his life (afaik). McLaughlin dedicated a song to him on [i]Extrapolations[/i].

[quote name='The Funk' post='457013' date='Apr 8 2009, 01:53 AM']My keyboard player turned down the Kelly Rowland gig...

I turned down the Corinne Bailey Rae gig...[/quote]

Wow, it sounds like London really is the place to be for session work!

The conversation usually goes something like this....

Me: I've had a call...

MrsW: You're not going on tour again unless I can come too...

Me: See you in a month, love you...

MrsW: Bring me back something nice...

Edited by woodster

Got offered a blues gig for a week in Poland two years ago with a French band. Was right up for it until they told me that we'd all be in the same hotel room every night. (7 piece band?) So, yes, providing I was happy with the band and the arrangements for the tour.

[quote name='AM1' post='456971' date='Apr 7 2009, 11:50 PM']This is purely theoretical.

How many people are in a position to say yes straight away? If not, what would you have to sacrifice in order to say yes?[/quote]

Its not theoretical to me...
Not so long ago - i was given 48 hours notice to go to Japan for 4 weeks.
[ 6 hours of the 48 was spent in town getting my visa sorted]
It ment packing bags, sorting out family stuff, oh and sorting out deps.
I was met at Heathrow airport with a copy pad of music for the show and a couple of mini discs and a load of batteries.
I then spent 10 hours on the flight learning the show.
Plus side of this - i got to meet and chat to Paul Jackson in a Music shop... :)

EDIT...
tip, always bring back presents.
I managed to get hold of a Bamboo hoover.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='acidbass' post='457021' date='Apr 8 2009, 03:03 AM']Wow, it sounds like London really is the place to be for session work![/quote]

My keyboard player's excellent and got the offer based on his skills. I got the offer because my friend was the MD and he didn't think she would get anywhere.