Why become a member? ×

Ashdown ABM owners club

Guest BassAdder27

17 hours ago, fretmeister said:

I get that if you don't use any pedals.

I have a couple and if I adjust my bass volume it affects what the pedal is doing. Not just overdrive reducing - it would ruin an envelope filter setting.

Bit moot at the moment though, with kids at uni I won't be buying anything spendy for a while now.

They better get rich quickly! :D 

Just thinking this morning..... dont know why :) couldnt you raise all the eq which would in turn raise the overall volume. You could use that to balance inbetween notches without affecting input or sound. Just an idea if it helps.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, la bam said:

Just thinking this morning..... dont know why :) couldnt you raise all the eq which would in turn raise the overall volume. You could use that to balance inbetween notches without affecting input or sound. Just an idea if it helps.

technically possible, but it shouldn’t be needed. Such a faff.

I just won’t buy a notched amp. If I ever manage to get the money for an Evo5 I’ll ask Dave to put smooth pots in.

Using the EQ settings in the image below and having the SHAPE button out I get an amazing rock tone with a pick played PBass 

The trick is to avoid “ mid” overload something a pick played PBass is strong at. The SHAPE out boosts bass and cuts mids and it really works well in a band context 

I wouldn’t use if finger style like that as way too woolly and boomy but use a pick and roundwounds and you’re in rock bass heaven 🤟784D4A50-A502-43AD-B228-7C12B4C60329.thumb.jpeg.2d94b0f093c5943a91b3cf4d63d3e068.jpeg

• Like 4

image.png.3db6857a4c4fdb236638b691aa79b9e9.png

New ABM owner here. EVO II 500 2 x 10 combo, dated 2006. Rescued this in a poorly state from Facebook Market place for a mere £60.

One phone call to Dave at Ashdown, and one postal delivery later, now potentiometers all round installed (two of the EQ pots had broken off at the shaft!), and a coat of car vinyl restorer product, and its as good as new!

Absolutely amazing customer service from Ashdown, who posted out ath their expense and refused to charge - so I'll make a charity donation in lieu.

• Like 10

On 30/01/2023 at 18:05, Bassybert said:

That's an absolute steal @Marillionred great find.

Also, Ashdown's customer service is without doubt the benchmark in the industry - no quibbling just good, honest advice and belief in the products.

I agree. I am an Ashdown convert. Bought an ABM 500 a few years back (which they serviced FOC), recently a Studio 210 combo and today an ABM600 20th anniversary edition with cover and FS4. 

• Like 3

anyone have experience with blown speakers in an ABM4x10 cab?

Long story short, I used mine for the first time in a few months last night and it sounded like $h1t. Farting is the best word I can find to describe it. 

I suspect someone else has "Borrowed" it while it’s been in storage at the practice room. 

I emailed Ashdown this morning but thought I'd ask here too. Is there a way to tell without taking the cab to pieces? I'm thinking measuring the resistance or something like that?

cheers

Edited by DaleASmith

If you have e mailed Ashdown, Dave is the man to sort you out. He will know the type of speakers used and will tell you what you need if blown. Bought a couple of speakers from them a few years back and they were almost half the price of the same speakers from Blue Arran. 

• Thanks 1

If it was me...

You could start by taking the grill off and checking the cones for splits or tears in the surround.

Next, assuming you have three hands, play bass through it while you press gently on each cone in turn, and each centre dome in turn, to see is you can identify the faulty unit.

Next, take the speakers out or take the cab back or front off, and measure the resistance of each driver. The actual measurement probably dos not matter if you find one is significantly different to the others.

Next- that's where I run out of ideas.

David

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, DaleASmith said:

anyone have experience with blown speakers in an ABM4x10 cab?

Long story short, I used mine for the first time in a few months last night and it sounded like $h1t. Farting is the best word I can find to describe it. 

I suspect someone else has "Borrowed" it while it’s been in storage at the practice room. 

I emailed Ashdown this morning but thought I'd ask here too. Is there a way to tell without taking the cab to pieces? I'm thinking measuring the resistance or something like that?

cheers

I fear someone has and not OHM matched it and fked it. 

Or due to temps due to cold? something has failed. Mottlefeeder steps are logical. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chaddy said:

I fear someone has and not OHM matched it and fked it. 

A speaker doesn't care about stuff like resistance matches, or have any knowledge of it. It is basically down to the power. If you have put more power into the system than it can handle you can obviously destroy it (or even less power but the wrong signal), but it doesn't matter from a speakers point of view if you mix a 4 ohm speaker with a 16 ohm speaker, as long as you are aware that most of the power goes mostly through the 4 ohm speakers.

Matching only matters to an amplifier, and generally only a valve amp

But as others said - have  a look at the cones, if one has a big hole in it, that will be the badger!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

A speaker doesn't care about stuff like resistance matches, or have any knowledge of it. It is basically down to the power. If you have put more power into the system than it can handle you can obviously destroy it (or even less power but the wrong signal), but it doesn't matter from a speakers point of view if you mix a 4 ohm speaker with a 16 ohm speaker, as long as you are aware that most of the power goes mostly through the 4 ohm speakers.

Matching only matters to an amplifier, and generally only a valve amp

But as others said - have  a look at the cones, if one has a big hole in it, that will be the badger!

Yeah this is my thought process, but how much power it would take to damage a 600w 8 ohm cab is beyond me. All I know is it sounded great in November, now it sounds bad..

I'll investigate and update. I can get a multi-meter and test the drivers individually so I'll see what it looks like.

On 30/01/2023 at 17:47, Marillionred said:

image.png.3db6857a4c4fdb236638b691aa79b9e9.png

New ABM owner here. EVO II 500 2 x 10 combo, dated 2006. Rescued this in a poorly state from Facebook Market place for a mere £60.

One phone call to Dave at Ashdown, and one postal delivery later, now potentiometers all round installed (two of the EQ pots had broken off at the shaft!), and a coat of car vinyl restorer product, and its as good as new!

Absolutely amazing customer service from Ashdown, who posted out ath their expense and refused to charge - so I'll make a charity donation in lieu.

Marvelous - they really are good at looking after thier customers - even when they buy a nearly 20 year old amp!  Out of interest - what Vinyl restorer did you use?    Thanks!

I just bought a ABM 300w Evo IV amp and thinking about cabs. I like the light weight of the ABM Pro Neos, but wondering if the ABM Compact will have a better sound. None around me, so can't A/B them. Have contacted Ashdown but no reply. Can anyone give a rundown the tonal difference between the two? Thinking of getting a 115h.

4 minutes ago, alexa3020 said:

One of the differences is the pro Neos are sealed. Which probably means they're not as loud - or you have to push em harder to get the same volume.

Pretty sure @BassAdder60has had pro neo as well as the heavier abm cabs

Yep now own the ABM210H ported cabs heavier but better sound in my opinion 

3 hours ago, The Simon Of OZ said:

I just bought a ABM 300w Evo IV amp and thinking about cabs. I like the light weight of the ABM Pro Neos, but wondering if the ABM Compact will have a better sound. None around me, so can't A/B them. Have contacted Ashdown but no reply. Can anyone give a rundown the tonal difference between the two? Thinking of getting a 115h.

I had a 15" Pro Neo and I wasn`t impressed when used on it`s own, I thought it was gutless. They aren`t worth the money if you buy them new imo. I had a ABM Mini 2 x 10 for a few years and it was far better than the 15 Neo.

Having said that, it depends a lot on what type of music you are playing and how loud your band is. I used a MAG 300 head and a Ashdown 15" cab in a pub pop/rock band for a few years and it was fine.

Where are you located? Might be someone near who can help you? Or are you in Australia as per your name?

The full-fat Ashdown ABM cabs will undoubtedly sound better. Sadly for me they’re no longer an option so I have the PRO NEOs (2 x 210). At home volumes they sound very similar to my old ABM410, on which I had the port sealed.

Even sadder is that I’m yet to use them, both rehearsal rooms I use have provided rigs, and the gigs I’ve done since owning them have been similar.

Edited by Lozz196

The best ABM cab I owned and used was an older rear ported EVOII ABM 210H cab. Very solid build and could go as deep and low as any 1x15 ashdown cab I've tried. Good mid performance as well. The very large old school 1x15 ABM ported cabs are good if you like plenty boom and there are a lot about s/h for not too much money. The only downside is they are BIG and not easy to transport. I haven't tried the current pro neo compact sealed cabs or have any interest in doing so and that was mainly because of being fairly dissapointed with the cheaper rootmaster sealed versions. Small sealed cabs are not really my thing tbh and 4x10's are far too much hassle to cart around. If I was buying new and it had to be Ashdown, i'd probably go for the current ABM 210H or the 115H. If budget was limited something like a used evoII MAG 210H would be a useable option as they do almost the same as the ABM version.  

57 minutes ago, DGBass said:

The best ABM cab I owned and used was an older rear ported EVOII ABM 210H cab. Very solid build and could go as deep and low as any 1x15 ashdown cab I've tried. Good mid performance as well. 

I have one of these for sale in the classifieds at the moment - Just sayin 😉

Yes I in Australia, so not much Ashdown in the shops to try. Makes me a bit far away from @alexa3020 as well. Looks like the consensus if for the non-Neo cab, which is good in a way, I have found a discounted 115h EVO IV. Was hoping for the lighter weight of the Neo, but tone is more important and 25kg isn't that heavy for a cabinet. 

There is a ABM 115 (non horn and rear ported) new old stock that is cheap, but at 33kg, a bit heavier that I would like to go.

Interesting @DGBass mentioned the MAGs, a Evo I MAG 210H has come up second hand. It looks like it is sealed so may have the same issues as the NEO. Unfortunately it is over a an hour away, so unless someone can vouch for it I will let it pass.

Really appreciate all the input.

I would say the amp heads are the shining lights of the Ashdown range, and while the speaker cabs are good, I do think you could still get great/better performance out of a different lightweight cab. I'm currently running 2 x  abm 115 evo 2 compact cabs, but I'm always on the lookout for something lightweight that'll do the job. I suppose aesthetically you may want all Ashdown though.