Why become a member? ×

Ashdown ABM owners club

Guest BassAdder27

18 minutes ago, alexa3020 said:

I would say the amp heads are the shining lights of the Ashdown range, and while the speaker cabs are good, I do think you could still get great/better performance out of a different lightweight cab. I'm currently running 2 x  abm 115 evo 2 compact cabs, but I'm always on the lookout for something lightweight that'll do the job. I suppose aesthetically you may want all Ashdown though.

For smaller gigs I use my Ampeg SVT212AV cab which is a glorious cab 

I am not wedded to Ashdown, but here in Australia it is well priced relative to other pro gear - for example the Ampeg SVT212AV is around twice the price of the ABM cabs. I did think about the SVT210AV, but it is not really a pro cab.  I have considered other options, but nothing stands out in the price range I am looking at. However, I am happy to be proved wrong if anyone has a good suggestion.

3 hours ago, The Simon Of OZ said:

a Evo I MAG 210H has come up second hand. It looks like it is sealed

Must admit I've not come across a sealed MAG 210 cab before, not to say there isnt such a thing. Early ones usually have the port along the front( to the left in the first pic), later ones its two tubes at the rear. The last cloth front ones were also rear ported. The positives with regards to MAG cabs is they do almost the same as the similar ABM's and are relatively cheap as chips which helps budget wise. A tasty good condition one is probably not going to set you back more than 60-70 quid. A tatty one about £40. ABM cabs are better build quality. Meant to add, might be worth contacting Ashdown again and hear it from the horses mouth so to speak as regards cab recommendations. They did have an issue recently where their web customer contact form was broken and hundreds of enquiries went missing. Thye are aware of the problem and are working through back enquiries. A phone call would probably be worth a try to get in touch again.

1879414734_Screenshot2023-02-10at13_24_49.thumb.png.f75498117affbf2faeb201fea2a9da0b.png903077410_Screenshot2023-02-10at13_29_29.thumb.png.32baa0e538a796f1436ac1a9d16df258.png

Edited by DGBass

4 hours ago, The Simon Of OZ said:

@BassAdder60 would a SVT112AV be a better idea than a ABM cab? I am only practicing at home at the moment and could add another later if I need more volume. I am a very late beginner so not expecting to gig at any stage, but hopefully will do some jamming eventually.

For home the ABM cab is perfect 

The SVT212AV is a heavier cab and a single use cab ( 4ohms ) and great for gigging but more expensive too 

The SVT112 cab is 8 ohms and would work well and possible to add a second cab if you need it

Edited by BassAdder60

The fender rumble stuff is similarly priced in the UK to ashdown and is lightweight.

Don't know too much about them, and have never used them. But I do seem to remember reading good stuff about them on here. Perhaps worth a look?

Edited by alexa3020

25 minutes ago, alexa3020 said:

The fender rumble stuff is similarly priced in the UK to ashdown and is lightweight.

Don't know too much about them, and have never used them. But I do seem to remember reading good stuff about them on here. Perhaps worth a look?

I tried a Rumble 115 cab and it was ok and reasonably priced but not the quality of the ABM series cabs 

Second hand there are many ABM cabs so I would look at that 

Although you say it’s for home I would always consider the option to use it or two of them if you start jamming with other musicians etc 

If you have room at home get a half decent single 15” or 12” cab or 210 cab and you can add a matching cab if things progress

SVT 212AV cabs are also higher priced in the U.K. compared to Ashdown but that single 4ohm cab ( remember one 4 ohm cab or two 8 ohm cabs is your guide ) is a fantastic sounding cab and great to gig with.

I have to use both my ABM210H cabs stacked to better the result but it’s a close thing and raises the rig level when gigging 

Edited by BassAdder60

I did think about a Rumble 115, cheaper and lighter than the other options discussed. However, for all the positive reviews there are also quite a few negative ones.

I asked JeezyMcNuggles on Youtube about standalone cabs as he has vids on the ABM 115h, 210h and SVT112. He prefers the 210, over the Ampeg and then the 115, which was interesting. 

I was concentrating on the 115 as I initially was looking at the sealed Neo and thought the 115 would be a better match to that design. I will now choose between the SVT112 and ABM210 (non-Neo), both of which I can add to later on as needed.

Thanks for all your help, especially given I can't just rock into a store and compare, and I will let you know which way I go.

• Like 1

On 25/01/2023 at 01:22, BassAdder60 said:

Using the EQ settings in the image below and having the SHAPE button out I get an amazing rock tone with a pick played PBass 

The trick is to avoid “ mid” overload something a pick played PBass is strong at. The SHAPE out boosts bass and cuts mids and it really works well in a band context 

I wouldn’t use if finger style like that as way too woolly and boomy but use a pick and roundwounds and you’re in rock bass heaven 🤟784D4A50-A502-43AD-B228-7C12B4C60329.thumb.jpeg.2d94b0f093c5943a91b3cf4d63d3e068.jpeg

If I ever get one of those for backline I am going to be looking for the fx return to plug my pedals into and get cracking.

On 12/02/2023 at 01:12, The Simon Of OZ said:

I did think about a Rumble 115, cheaper and lighter than the other options discussed. However, for all the positive reviews there are also quite a few negative ones.

I asked JeezyMcNuggles on Youtube about standalone cabs as he has vids on the ABM 115h, 210h and SVT112. He prefers the 210, over the Ampeg and then the 115, which was interesting. 

I was concentrating on the 115 as I initially was looking at the sealed Neo and thought the 115 would be a better match to that design. I will now choose between the SVT112 and ABM210 (non-Neo), both of which I can add to later on as needed.

Thanks for all your help, especially given I can't just rock into a store and compare, and I will let you know which way I go.

Was about to offer you could try mine out but then noticed where you were located :D 

21 minutes ago, DaleASmith said:

Has anyone ever come across an ABM cab with updated speakers?
Still Ashdown Blueline but 250w per 10” speaker instead of the standard 150w.. 

yes it’s quite common 

One of my ABM210H cabs is rated as 500w and my newer model is 300w !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Simon Of OZ said:

20230216_143610_resized.thumb.jpg.37995adf3e98ce22efb755521ab9d1b2.jpg

Got myself sorted for now. Thanks for the advise. Ended up travelling to a shop with the above STV112, a PF112, and Rumbes' 115 and 210. So got to try a few cabs out. No ABMs anywhere near though.

The SVT are great cabs and you can add one more 112 if you need more power etc 

Nice rig 

Tonight I have noticed a hum when the valve drive is engaged on my ABM - signal is clean when it is off. Not sure if it is a new thing, although I have been playing about a hour a day since I got it and haven't noticed it before. It is not loud and I can't hear it when playing but it is noticeable in-between songs.  Is the valve drive usually noisier or do I have a issue I need to get checked out?

33 minutes ago, The Simon Of OZ said:

Tonight I have noticed a hum when the valve drive is engaged on my ABM - signal is clean when it is off. Not sure if it is a new thing, although I have been playing about a hour a day since I got it and haven't noticed it before. It is not loud and I can't hear it when playing but it is noticeable in-between songs.  Is the valve drive usually noisier or do I have an issue I need to get checked out?

I found I had to replace my JJ ECC83 tube in mine ( not many weeks of owning ) and it made it whisper quiet 

If the noise is present without you playing and you have drive engaged it sounds like a noisy tube although a hum isn’t what you normally hear but I guess it could be the cause. If the hum goes away with drive off I’m sure it’s the tube 

If it’s new you could check with the store for a replacement. 

Edited by BassAdder60

5 hours ago, BassAdder60 said:

I found I had to replace my JJ ECC83 tube in mine ( not many weeks of owning ) and it made it whisper quiet 

I had the same issue occur in my current ABM after only a few rehearhals from new. More of a buzz than a hum but i've owned enough ABM's to know when its a tube issue. Swapped it out with a reasonably good quality 5751 to dampen the gain a little and now very quiet. The tube it came with was all shiny new but no markings on it to say where it came from or who made it. 

5 hours ago, The Simon Of OZ said:

Tonight I have noticed a hum when the valve drive is engaged on my ABM - signal is clean when it is off. Not sure if it is a new thing, although I have been playing about a hour a day since I got it and haven't noticed it before. It is not loud and I can't hear it when playing but it is noticeable in-between songs.  Is the valve drive usually noisier or do I have a issue I need to get checked out?

I had the same issue, it still happened with a new valve, do I sent it off to Ashdown, came back good as new. That's a bit harder for you based on your location! If a new valve doesn't sort it, I'd contact the shop you bought it from. 

Thanks, hopefully it is just a new valve then. I will contact Ashdown as it is new and I am not sure what happens to the warranty if I open it up. 

Using this to justify another head purchase with the wife (need a backup - worked for bass guitars, although they quickly grew from one to four). Ampeg PF or Ashdown RM as a light backup will be the new dilemma.  

Edited by The Simon Of OZ
Typo

6 hours ago, The Simon Of OZ said:

Thanks, hopefully it is just a new valve then. I will contact Ashdown as it is new and I am not sure what happens to the warranty if I open it up. 

Using this to justify another head purchase with the wife (need a backup - worked for bass guitars, although they quickly grew from one to four). Ampeg PF or Ashdown RM as a light backup will be the new dilemma.  

Without a doubt the RM500

Forget the PF series nothing but trouble in the main.

Or TE Elf fantastic little and loud amp