Why become a member? ×

What made the 80-90´s "classic" Trace Elliot sound? The amps, the cabinets or both?

BELA

In the next couple of days I will be surely buying an early 90s TE head and was wondering if that will give me the classic TE sound when I plug it into my modern 2x10 Genz Benz cabinet, or will I also need to buy a 90s TE cabinet to get it.

Please comment. Thanks

I think the cabs were as much a part of it as the amps. I`ve found that whenever I`ve used TE cabs there`s an ice-pick frequency in the upper mids that I just can`t get rid of, yet if I use a TE amp with any other brand of cabs although the famed sound is there it`s somewhat reduced.

Pretty much like having an Ampeg amp head, you`ll still get the classic Ampeg sound through any cab but put it through an Ampeg cab and it`s almost doubled.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Way back when I was buying such things,  I demo'd the following;

Hartke 3500 & 4.5XL

Trace AH300SMX & 1048H

Some SWR head and the 4x10 (Goliath?)

For fun, we tried the heads with their matching cabs, then mixed it all up.

None of them sounded "right" with another brand of cab. Liked the Hartke then and I've used one in anger since and it was still good.

It seems, as Lozz suggests, that manufacturers who make both heads and cabs "voice" them to achieve the sound they're after and to give some kind of brand sonic identity. Which you either like or you don't!

(I Ended up with the Trace in a slightly different form, as I wanted to buy British, and because Trace weren't far away if anything went Pop! (which it duly did))

• Thanks 1

I did have a Trace GP12SMX with TE 4x10 & 1x15 and its definitely the combination that gets you there. I replaced one of the TE cabs with an Orange 4x10 and it sounded good but didn't sound like a Trace amp any more. It was closer to the Trace sound with my Orange head with the Trace cabs. 

I think the TE reputation for being rather weighty is exaggerated. The TE 4x10 is the same weight as my Orange 4x10. 

• Thanks 1

The TE pre-shape on its own is fairly classic Trace sounding through all manner of non TE cabs. However the TE cabs do make a difference. Size does matter as the TE brochures of the early 90's will tell you. 2103's, 1518T's, 1818T's and to a lesser degree 1048H's will deliver big TE bass tones because of their size and the very good speakers in them. If its authenticity you are after then I would say yes, if you get the amp you need the cab to go with It 🙂

• Thanks 1

In the 'good old days' before I knackered my back I used to have an assortment of TE gear - various heads that I put through 1x18, 1x15 or 2x10 TE cabs in varying combinations depending upon my mood.  My favourite head was the GP12-SMX 250.  Something about the tone that I particualrly liked.

But, to my ears, the best sound I ever got from my GP12-SMX head was when I played it through a Barefaced Compact and Midget.  Then, subsequently, a pair of Supercompacts.  Seemed to me to be the best of both worlds.

• Thanks 1

When I switched to light weight gear my GP12 SMX head got put on the shelf. It didn't sound quite right through other cabs and I sold the Trace cabs I'd been using. Some time later I decided to sell it and when somebody stuck their hand up to buy, I dusted the head off and fired it up through my TechSoundsystems 2x12. Holy Moly! What a thunderous sound! Admittedly it was nowhere near gig volume but with the master volume at 1 it made the floor shake. I may have forgotten certain elements of the 'Trace sound', but through that cab it sounded mighty fine to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had a GP12400SMX (think that's the model name!)...huge heavy carpeted box. You know what, that carpet was VERY tough and stopped cosmetic damage.

It sounded very clear and had a hell of a lot of treble on tap for that ultra sheen on your high end. I used to play a MIJ Fender P through it with rounds and that amp provided so much clank. I liked it. 

I've never played a decent Trace cab, I don't think. I used a much cheaper Peavey 4x10 and 1x15.

I kinda wish they would make medium sized lighter amps like Ashdown and bring the brand back properly.

I should have kept mine but I had a hand injury carrying it once after a long day at work then gigging, so I sold it. Closest I've got is the Genz Shuttlemax series. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As others say, the aggressive 450Hz scoop pre-shape is the foundation of the 'classic Trace sound'. You can simulate it reasonably well on an amp with a parametric filter, also Laney used to doi a fair imitation.

As I'm not a happy slapper I generally switch it out, and get a more balanced sound.

• Thanks 1

My main (only) amp from the ages of 12-22 was a GP7 SM300 1x15 combo. Really good combo, built like a tank. However, when I moved on to a Mesa Walkabout 1x15 it was certainly an upgrade. 

I later bought a GP12 SMX 300 head as a back up and it was a really great head, however my main head was then an EBS Fafner which again I thought was far more versatile. I also used to have the Peavey era TE 2x10 and 1x15 (non-compact) cabs as a stack, but replaced that with a Mesa 6x10 about 3-4 years back. I did try the Peavey era TE amps and while they were very nice, they just didn't feel or sound quite like the old amps. 

I actually think that the Peavey era cabs were an improvement on the old cabinets in terms of tone. I found that the old Trace cabinets had a very coloured sound, whereas the newer cabs seemed to be better full range cabinets. They were certainly much lighter, though the build quality didn't seem as bullet proof (mine had a few QC controls and screws tended to need re-tightened frequently). 

The only bit of TE kit I have left is the V6 valve amp which delivers a very different tone to the solid state amps. I will never sell that. 

If I was buying another Trace head it would probably be a Series 6 head. I probably wouldn't bother with the cabinets because they are heavy and much louder, lighter and more efficient cabinets are available. For the the proper 'classic' TE sound I think that you would need two of the classic cabinets and run a crossover in line with the (now) over the top 'recommended set ups' detailed in the old sales brochures.

Edited by thodrik
  • Thanks 1