Why become a member? ×

Micro amp suggestion for headphone practice?

BabyBlueSound

So I've been looking for a micro amp just to be able to practice in another room without having to carry my small amp around, and so far I am not amused with the options available.

I tried the Sonicake "US Madness" microamp, designed for bass. Not great. The sound has no body at all, sounds like I'm listening through a tin can, and I could hear pops and weird noises too. Does not worth the £25.

So I thought maybe I need a slightly more expensive quality brand, and tried the Vox one (amPlug2 AP2-BS Bass Guitar Headphone Amplifier). The sound quality is noticeably better, BUT the volume levels are not really satisfactory on my passive bass, and there's a LOT of pretty audible hiss going on that increases or decreases with the Tone dial. Not just your average everyday electric noise, this is a separate hiss (I can hear the regular electric noise as well, not that loudly, so that's normal), and SERIOUSLY loud.

All in all I can roll with the Vox, but I am wondering if there's any better options for such a simple goal: to be able to practice with headphones WHILE not breaking the bank.

----------------------------------------

EDIT: I got the NUX in the end, see my review below:

So I tried the following stuff:

VOX - https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NAUKJTY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1

Almost a solid choice, BUT. It's not nearly loud enough (at least for some passive basses I guess), and there is a terribly, terribly loud HISS. The hiss is not coming from the bass, because the microamp does it even when it's not plugged in to a bass. Sound quality is pretty decent, your bass sounds like a bass... a lot of compromises here.

Sonicake bass - https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B079FGN89H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ugh, sounds like rattling a plastic can inside a tin can. Very artificial, dull sound, and the deeps even end up being distorted. Would not give a penny for this sound.

Valeton RH-100 Rushead Max - https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07W3K92ZM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Like the Sonicake, terrible plastic-y sound without a real body or any deeps. Sounds like a toy.

EHX Headphone Amp - https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003UIBQEI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now this one was a quality build, the volume was great, and there was enough bass too. But it does not have an AUX-IN for practicing, and compared to the Vox, it has basically no treble at all. If you're in the game for a very deep sound, this can be a pretty good choice. But I like my zing, so this was a no.

NUX MP2 Might Plug - https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B084JB519R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My choice! Sound quality is not exactly as great as the Vox or the EHX, but almost! And there is no hiss, there is enough volume, and there is enough treble. It actually has bluetooth aux-in which makes practicing very comfortable, it's got drum machines, and a lot of different amp simulators and effects. These were not really a factor for me as I rarely use any effects, and these sometimes (with some settings) sound a bit toy-like once again, but there are enough options to find a sound that works for your taste.

Hope I helped some of you.  

Edited by whave

The Vox headphone amp has three output level settings. When you press and hold the power button to turn it on, it will return to the previously used level. Pressing the button again will cycle through each level and the LED will change colour, red for the lowest output level, amber for the middle setting and green for the highest output. This may be why you’re not getting enough volume? You’re right that it’s quite noisy, I just roll of the tone as I don’t mind the reduced top end. 

Another headphone amp I came across recently is the NUX MP2 Mighty Plug which, from what I can gather is a much better product. I’ve not tried it I think other BCers have and might be able to share their experience. 

Edited by Velarian
Typo
  • Thanks 1

EHX headphone amp is brilliant - tiny, but like a tank, and clips onto a strap. The only downside is that it doesn’t have an aux in, but I love mine.

there’s no amp simulation, so it’s brutally honest and will reveal flaws in your technique - I altered my playing during my first 3 months.

https://www.ehx.com/products/headphone-amp/

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Velarian said:

The Vox headphone amp has three output level settings. When you press and hold the power button to turn it on, it will return to the previously used level. Pressing the button again will cycle through each level and the LED will change colour, red for the lowest output level, amber for the middle setting and green for the highest output. This may be why you’re not getting enough volume? You’re right that it’s quite noisy, I just roll of the tone as I don’t mind the reduced top end. 

Another headphone amp I came across recently is the NUX MP2 Mighty Plug which, from what I can gather is a much better product. I’ve not tried it I think other BCers have and might be able to share their experience. 

Wow I did not know this output level setting thing, thanks! However it was already on green, so yeah, still not loud enough :) . And it's not like I want to bust my eardrums, but even with good headphones I can hear external stuff over it, it's just not enough. My pickups are as high as they can be without making contact with the strings, but I'm planning to install a EMG Geezer Butler PJ set shortly, so maybe that will solve it, and that should still be in my return window for the Vox.

Unfortunately the hiss is real and unrelated to pickups, it's happening even when there's nothing plugged in. It's just there.

The EHX I will look into if possible to get in the UK on a reasonable price :) 

Interesting that it’s not loud enough on the highest setting.  I have mine on the middle setting all the time and it’s plenty, the green level is too much. This is just with P-Bass pickups of varying types/ages. The hiss is very pronounced and I just try and ignore it. 

for sure there are better products out there. 

1 hour ago, barkin said:

Zoom multi-fx. i personally use a B3, but that's no longer current.

Also gets you aux in, amp/cab sims, effects, tuner, looper, drum machine.

I think the new one is the B1-4 or something.

Hard to beat for the money IMO.

Thanks I know the Zoom ones but that's hardly a microamp :) I got my setup for all that already, just want to be able to practice in the other room without bringing the gear

By micro amp do you mean only the ones that plug into your jack socket? I would just get the NUX if you really want that type of thing, it has bluetooth so can play music wirelessly from your phone.

I tried one of the Vox ones a while ago, thought it was a completely useless product and the owner sent it back the next day. The NUX should be a lot more usable than that I would think.

Can I just add,in addition to the EHX I use the Vox AP2-CL headphone amp, it’s designed for guitar, but has a clean channel,Fender Bassman (which is actually quite good for bass), and an overdrive channel (less useful). It has a gain control, tone (essentially a LPF) and a volume control. 

it also has chorus,delay and reverb effects,and of course the line in for iPods etc… of the ‘amp sim’ headphone units I’ve tried this has been the most useful, but still quite plasticky.

My NUX MP-2 Mighty Plug arrived today. When I came home from work just now, within a couple of minutes I’d opened it, plugged it in, plugged my headphones in, turned it on and WOW! Immediately impressive; good level, very quiet noise-wise and the initial setting had reverb on which sounded clear and clean.

My first impression is that it’s very good and much better than the Vox; virtually noiseless in comparison.

Now I need to get the app and figure out all settings and features. So far, so good. I’m very happy. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm amazed you've only had one suggestion for the Zoom B1. It's pretty much the perfect practice machine. Studio quality amp and speaker sims, good headphone amp, aux input via mini-jack, tuner, metronome, drum machine a whole collection of good quality fx sims and you can use it live. It also runs for days on batteries or you can use a USB charger or external power supply. I have the B1ON but the B! Four is almost identical but with simpler and more versatile controls. Value for money is off the scale. I've been using mine daily for years too, they don't feel cheap. If mine went I'd simply go and buy another tomorrow.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

I'm amazed you've only had one suggestion for the Zoom B1. It's pretty much the perfect practice machine. Studio quality amp and speaker sims, good headphone amp, aux input via mini-jack, tuner, metronome, drum machine a whole collection of good quality fx sims and you can use it live. It also runs for days on batteries or you can use a USB charger or external power supply. I have the B1ON but the B! Four is almost identical but with simpler and more versatile controls. Value for money is off the scale. I've been using mine daily for years too, they don't feel cheap. If mine went I'd simply go and buy another tomorrow.

But as I said before, this is exactly what I don't need. I got my perfect practice machine set up and equipped with all that.

I need one of those plugin microamps I can take to the other room if I'd need to practice there, simple as that. No cables, no pedals, no multieffects, etc :) 

On 03/11/2021 at 18:22, Velarian said:

My NUX MP-2 Mighty Plug arrived today. When I came home from work just now, within a couple of minutes I’d opened it, plugged it in, plugged my headphones in, turned it on and WOW! Immediately impressive; good level, very quiet noise-wise and the initial setting had reverb on which sounded clear and clean.

My first impression is that it’s very good and much better than the Vox; virtually noiseless in comparison.

Now I need to get the app and figure out all settings and features. So far, so good. I’m very happy. 

Same here. I've just got a Nux to replace the Vox, early days but it seems to be a massive improvement for only about £10 extra.

The Vox is bad build quality (jack snaps off), crackly fiddly dials, noisy (hiss), takes batteries. The Nux is good build quality, no annoying levels of hiss, rechargable, lots of decent effects and amps and cab IRs available to save into 6x presets (accessible via a button with 6x colour coded light on the unit), has drum loops/metronome and also works as a bluetooth receiver so can play music through it and play along.

The benefit of the Vox is that it has built-in drum patterns/metronome and volume controls which are all available on the unit itself whereas all you can do on the Nux without a phone is scroll through the 6x presets - it needs to be linked to a Phone via an app (which keeps saying it needs an update although it's the most recent version) to make changes to volume and effects and launch drum tracks/metronome and adjust bpm and volume. I suppose in an ideal situation the Nux would have a way controling those things on the actual unit so no phone connection is needed but I guess that'd increase the price. 

If you've got the ££ then the Boss Waza Air Bass look very good.

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 1

On 04/11/2021 at 00:20, Phil Starr said:

I'm amazed you've only had one suggestion for the Zoom B1. It's pretty much the perfect practice machine. Studio quality amp and speaker sims, good headphone amp, aux input via mini-jack, tuner, metronome, drum machine a whole collection of good quality fx sims and you can use it live. It also runs for days on batteries or you can use a USB charger or external power supply. I have the B1ON but the B1-Four is almost identical but with simpler and more versatile controls. Value for money is off the scale. I've been using mine daily for years too, they don't feel cheap. If mine went I'd simply go and buy another tomorrow.

^^ what Phil said! 

The Zoom B1 four is great value but is quite different to the Nux so it depends how its going to be be used. For a second practice room I'd go for the Zoom, for being completely mobile I'd go for the Nux. 

The Nux is rechargeable, it's small, light, clicks directly into the Bass and it streams bluetooth music from your phone so you're cable free (other than your headphones). It's the sort of thing you can easily walk room to room around the house using or use in the garden etc. or take in your pocket to a practice session/gig/bass shop if you want a quick private noodle! (and who doesn't like a quick private noodle?!) 

The Zoom needs batteries or power cable and a cable from the Bass and a cable from your phone (and the cable to your headphones),  that's quite a lot of cables if you want to be mobile. It's also heavier and big enough that it needs to sit on a floor/desk (not able to click onto the Bass as you walk about, and is not pocket sized unless you've got some massive pockets!). It beats the Nux in having tuner, more effects, drum loops and footswitch control though so is what I'd go for if I wanted a semi-permanent second practice room in the house and didn't plan on moving it around too much. 

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 1