Why become a member? ×

New Laney Digbeth range

Merton

59 minutes ago, la bam said:

I heard GK are ready to launch a small compact, but full solid state, versions of their old classics. So maybe this is the new trend?

Again, Class D is solid state… but I guess you mean class A/B with a hefty toroidal transformer in an old school psu. In which case, that’s exactly the sort of thing I want, and am considering making a weird hybrid with the OriginAL preamp mated to an ABM psu and power amp :) If GK bring something out, all the better!

Edited by Merton

6 minutes ago, Merton said:

Again, Class D is solid state… but I guess you mean class A/B with a hefty toroidal transformer in an old school psu. In which case, that’s exactly the sort of thing I want, and am considering making a weird hybrid with the OriginAL preamp mated to an ABM psu and power amp :) If GK bring something out, all the better!

Sorry, yes I meant A/B - couldnt think of the phrase - im getting old :)

• Like 1

Am I missing something here? They sound stinky poo in the demo.

I thought that - I know these were probably filmed during lockdown, but the tattooed gentleman (the one who actually plays through one) obviously has a recording setup at home, could they not have couriered him a microphone to stick in front of the cab, or asked him to DI it?

If you're trying to sell a range of amps, then merely talking about how great they sound isn't going cut it.

39 minutes ago, DiMarco said:

So is the "tube" path on these actually a tube or is it another wack emulation like the tubetone on my TC amp?

I think it's an emulation based on what the preamp demo video said. Which is big old a shame.

• Sad 1

All I see is the same old, same old stuff that manufacturers have been marketing for decades. The tone, full of distortion, is what I spent years trying to get away from! :(

That said I do like how they actually look. Are the speakers referred to as HH the same manufacturer as the old IC100 range of amplifiers?

Edited by BassmanPaul
  • Like 1

I really like the concept here of switching from tube to FET. Been thinking about it all day how I could use a bit of warm tubey tone for one of my bands and a good old bit of clean punchy FET for another. But unless I can play through one myself to test it I won't take the plunge no matter how attractive the price. 

And can manufacturers of Amps and Pedals PLEASE get it that some bassists want clean tones. 

Edited by uk_lefty
  • Like 1

Have to say the drive channel sounds better there, it’s got a lot more control than some of the earlier videos were showing. I like a small bit of grit in my tone at all times, so having the ability to blend it with a clean is very much up my street :)

Yep, just because drive CAN go all the way to 10 doesn’t mean some (many?) of us aren’t interested in hearing it at 2 or 3, just adding a tad of grit into the tone. Gives me a far better idea of if a pedal is suitable for me.

• Like 3

Opinion: The secret behind any good crunch tone is the instrument and the players touch.
I also think passive instruments with their more open response lend themselves better for that particular sound.

Chris Squire wouldn't have obtained his tone without a Ric and playing with a pick by any means.

So an online demo of any amp, pre or pedal that does overdrive will never show you what it will do with your instrument and touch imho.

The only thing you can really do is try it yourself. I have probably been disappointed in many (boutique) overdrives by not using the proper bass with them. Now that I own a full pallette 10 completely different sounding basses and about the same number of dirtboxes I think I know better. But then again, I'm no expert of course. I know one thing: a Pbass works better with dirt then most my other basses, except for the custom jazz I had purposely built to sound like a Ric on steroids.

Good, soulful dirt tone that hits you in the gut is very rare.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DiMarco said:

Good, soulful dirt tone that hits you in the gut is very rare.

DiMarco speaks truth. I have literally lost count of the od/fuzz/boost/dirt pedals I've gone through looking for the one that fits me. 

• Like 1

For me it’s one that as DiMarco says, reacts to touch and how you play. I’ve found all the Tech21 pedals to be good at this but my Para Driver to be the best. It can be set so that if you play with a regular touch you wouldn’t know there was any drive on there, but dig in and you get very nice breakup. Of course me lacking any degree of subtlety just used to play like that all the time which was great in a 3 piece as it helped fill the sound out very well.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Merton said:

I concur with @DiMarco @stewblack and @Lozz196

I think that’s why I love the Ashdown OriginAL. Once you understand the best way to set it up, it’s very reactive to different basses and playing styles. I suspect these will have some of that there too, given the number of players involved in beta testing; let’s hope so eh?!

For me the Two Notes Le Bass nails the OD tone. It has a real valve handling the drive and both blendable channels each have their own EQ.
I can mold it any way I want and it is very responsive. Tech21 YYZ is also a pretty nice one.

I use both for slight dirt. Big dirt is handled by the Plasma Coil and creamy fuzz by the Giygas. I do not use my Darkglass Alpha-Omicron.

Anyway, back on topic.

Edited by DiMarco
  • Like 1

On 25/06/2021 at 11:10, Merton said:

The preamp pedal looks great and at under £150 is a superb price. Could rival my love for the Ashdown OriginAL  VTDI preamp 😱

+1 ^^ (with one tweak 😁)

The spec looks great: FET and tube alternative, 4 band EQ with semi-para low mids plus tilt and full headphone amp capability & DI out. And great design too!

Laney dévoile le DB-Pre - Audiofanzine

I'd love to finally get some kit from these guys and support an independent Midland's manufacturer who managed to stay on the road since 1967 and this certainly looks tempting.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Al Krow said:

+1 ^^ (with one tweak 😁)

The spec looks great: FET and tube alternative, 4 band EQ with semi-para low mids plus tilt and full headphone amp capability & DI out. And great design too!

Laney dévoile le DB-Pre - Audiofanzine

I'd love to finally get some kit from these guys and support an independent Midland's manufacturer who managed to stay on the road since 1967 and this certainly looks tempting.

This actually has me tempted to part with my BDDI, no mean feat!
Having the additional tube switch and a headphone out would be such a massive improvement, over the BDDI, plus I do like the idea of supporting an independent British company as you point out above.

Eude

• Like 1

The only review of the Digbeth pre I've come across so far.

It is very well featured, but will it manage to knock a Tech VTDI (or whatever your fav pre is) off it's perch? Jury's is out, but my sense is that it could certainly do some things better e.g. low end retention, while not having as much flexibility in others - the VTDI is ridiculously versatile in the tones it can deliver, which I guess is part of its popularity.

I get the point from di Marco of having a tailored pre-amp for each bass (in his case 10 of each!), but I suspect that's not a luxury that most of us would be looking to afford. Speaking of affordability, this one is packing a LOT of bang for its buck. In comparison you could easily be paying £300+ for a Mesa or Darkglass pre. and at its launch price the Digbeth does seem worth having a punt on.

• Like 2