Why become a member? ×

"Sadowsky" Metro Express Basses

Crawford13

5 hours ago, BassAgent said:

This is...one hundred percent incorrect.

Roger Sadowsky licenced the design to Warwick. I believe he had input during the licence set-up and hand-over phase, but has no part in the manufacture, marketing or quality control of these basses. The hardware and electrics are not made by Sadowsky, but are licenced to, and made by, Warwick. I would guess also in China.

10 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Roger Sadowsky licenced the design to Warwick. I believe he had input during the licence set-up and hand-over phase, but has no part in the manufacture, marketing or quality control of these basses. The hardware and electrics are not made by Sadowsky, but are licenced to, and made by, Warwick. I would guess also in China.

Are the pickups and electrics, preamp etc not based on the Sadowsky designs of Roger Sadowsky even though they are not manufactured by his company?

How much did Dan Lakin directly have to do with manufacturing Lakland Skyline guitars? Or Leo and George with G&L Tribute? Or Andy Mooney (Fender CEO) with Squier? The idea (in my view) is that the original designer licences his design to a factory and team of designers/luthiers to be able to make an affordable line of basses. Of course Roger Sadowsky doesn't wind the pickups himself. That's what the NYC basses are for.

Edited by BassAgent
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BassAgent said:

How much did Dan Lakin directly have to do with manufacturing Lakland Skyline guitars? Or Leo and George with G&L Tribute? Or Andy Mooney (Fender CEO) with Squier? The idea (in my view) is that the original designer licences his design to a factory and team of designers/luthiers to be able to make an affordable line of basses. Of course Roger Sadowsky doesn't wind the pickups himself. That's what the NYC basses are for.

I read that Roger said thathe has the pickups wound by Dimarzio or EMG on the NYC ones.

2 hours ago, BassAgent said:

How much did Dan Lakin directly have to do with manufacturing Lakland Skyline guitars? Or Leo and George with G&L Tribute?

The Tributes all have the G&L designed bridges – are they from the same supplier as the USA models? The MFD pickups on the Tribute L-2000 and SB-2 are the same as the USA models, but the alnico pickups on the LB and JB models are not.

11 minutes ago, lonestar said:

I read that Roger said thathe has the pickups wound by Dimarzio or EMG on the NYC ones.

But still by his specs I presume.

2 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

The Tributes all have the G&L designed bridges – are they from the same supplier as the USA models? The MFD pickups on the Tribute L-2000 and SB-2 are the same as the USA models, but the alnico pickups on the LB and JB models are not.

Yep, and the Sadowsky MetroExpress basses have Sadowsky brand pickups and tuners (although they look an awful lot like Hipshots), Sadowsky knobs, Sadowksy body design.

So much besides the point stuff going on debating wether or not it is to be considered a Sadowsky.

Only valid question is is it a good bass for its price compared to others in the same range.

... and that has been answered quite extensively a while back in this thread.

This makes me wonder what point some people are trying to make other then being negative about stuff without actually playing one of these basses.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, DiMarco said:

So much besides the point stuff going on debating wether or not it is to be considered a Sadowsky.

Only valid question is is it a good bass for its price compared to others in the same range.

... and that has been answered quite extensively a while back in this thread.

This makes me wonder what point some people are trying to make other then being negative about stuff without actually playing one of these basses.

I second that commotion !

The thing with this new ‘cheap’ line, is that it comes to the market with a huge amount of expectation based on the name alone. Yes, it should solely be judged on its price point, but that’s often hard to do due to its aforementioned pedigree. The other thing is that some of the first ones to be reviewed were woeful, with poor fitting and corroded electronics (they should never have been released merely to meet some possible agreed deadline, as they did a lot of marketing, harm). So, like it or not, these factors have lead to a wary and, perhaps, overly critical approach from the bass community. However, following @BassAgent’s review and subsequent double purchase, followed by @lonestar’s acquisition, I’d definitely be up for trying one now, but that logo has got to go 🤮.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gareth said:

CBDE853C-B630-4B97-8DFF-474E3B6B4DD9.png

I was tempted by that colour but it didn’t look as nice on Thomann’s site. From everything that I’ve read, and there’s been lots, JJ seemed the best option, plus I’m a big Jazz bass fan.

I emailed thomann to see if it was the latest batch with no noise issues and they confirm that it was.

I’d definitely check first with whoever you wish to buy from.

https://m.thomann.de/gb/sadowsky_metroexpress_21_5_vintage_obmp.htm?o=1&search=1632071111

Edited by lonestar
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ezbass said:

. However, following @BassAgent’s review and subsequent double purchase, followed by @lonestar’s acquisition, I’d definitely be up for trying one now, but that logo has got to go 🤮.

I am honestly considering having that logo sanded off and adding a Sadowsky decal. The story of why the Sadowsky name isn't on the headstock as such (but as part of the RSD brand) is clear and easy, but still, yes, that logo is awful.

• Like 3

I briefly owned a MetroExpress made in Japan and the stacked pot wasn’t working and the B string was about 50% quieter than the E. This as a bass that retailed around £2K. The point I’m trying to make is that If they have genuinely sorted out the QC then it’s probably an attractive sub-£1K bass. Sire must be quite a thing competitor for a fair bit less, but I never had this kind of choice when I was learning - £500-£700 was by no means guaranteed to get a bass that was even moderately playable.

14 minutes ago, FDC484950 said:

I briefly owned a MetroExpress made in Japan and the stacked pot wasn’t working and the B string was about 50% quieter than the E. This as a bass that retailed around £2K. The point I’m trying to make is that If they have genuinely sorted out the QC then it’s probably an attractive sub-£1K bass. Sire must be quite a thing competitor for a fair bit less, but I never had this kind of choice when I was learning - £500-£700 was by no means guaranteed to get a bass that was even moderately playable.

The MetroExpress has, AFAIK, always been made in China (as it was introduced by Warwick). The Japan basses were called Metro and more recently MetroLine (which are now being built in Germant). Different production, different bass.