Why become a member? ×

"Sadowsky" Metro Express Basses

Crawford13

So my experience of one of the very early Chinese Metro Expresses nearly put me off forever.

However, I was able to secure the last NOS Japanese 5 string version in the U.K. for a decent price and it is superb. Flawlessly made and the sound is everything I hoped for.

E326BCA9-7B84-4EFE-9E12-D51F46FAE398.jpeg

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, NicoMcJ said:

So my experience of one of the very early Chinese Metro Expresses nearly put me off forever.

However, I was able to secure the last NOS Japanese 5 string version in the U.K. for a decent price and it is superb. Flawlessly made and the sound is everything I hoped for.

E326BCA9-7B84-4EFE-9E12-D51F46FAE398.jpeg

Nice! The Japanese metros are completely different to the Chinese metro expresses but glad to hear your experience didn’t put you off Sadowskys as a whole. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, CookPassBabtridge said:

Nice! The Japanese metros are completely different to the Chinese metro expresses but glad to hear your experience didn’t put you off Sadowskys as a whole. 

Yeah, this one is a real Sadowsky - kinda.  The Chinese ones are a different animal altogether, really disappointing.

I only have experience of playing one NYC Sadowsky, a chambered Jazz, in Guitar Guitar Epsom, and my Metro beat it hands down.

IMO disbanding the incredible Japanese manufacturing operation was not one of RS's smartest moves.

Finding a distribution deal for the Metro basses would have been a major win for all bass players.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Have had older ( dinky body type)  Metro (not Expess) and traded it for my current older ( heavy!)  Tokyo Sadowsky. Both great. Old Tokyo almost 2.3 kilos heavier, though!

Was recently  going to get that  “old guys retirement present,  last bass” and last month played new Warwick Metro ($4k, usd) and the deluxe version ( almost $6k usd). Horrid, cheap feeling and no sound to brag about, with Warwick’s usual lack of attention to fit and finish.  These cannot  be what Mr.  Sadowsky had in mind!

if you have one, ymmv…I hope so.

• Like 1

On 14/12/2021 at 14:27, chris_b said:

I only have experience of playing one NYC Sadowsky, a chambered Jazz, in Guitar Guitar Epsom, and my Metro beat it hands down.

IMO disbanding the incredible Japanese manufacturing operation was not one of RS's smartest moves.

Finding a distribution deal for the Metro basses would have been a major win for all bass players.

I believe the Japanese Metro builders are now working under the Thee Dots company name.

I'm glad they are still making basses.

53 minutes ago, chris_b said:

I believe the Japanese Metro builders are now working under the Thee Dots company name.

I'm glad they are still making basses.

I think I heard the Japanese metro manufactures might have been also called ESP :ph34r:

for everyone’s interest, and tangential related to this thread… Sadowsky blue label steel strings have def changed since the Warwick licensing thing, similar, not as balanced and sweet tonally in the mids and less tension 

:( 

3 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

I think I heard the Japanese metro manufactures might have been also called ESP :ph34r:

for everyone’s interest, and tangential related to this thread… Sadowsky blue label steel strings have def changed since the Warwick licensing thing, similar, not as balanced and sweet tonally in the mids and less tension 

:( 

Wasn't it the Atelier Z guys who were doing the Japanese Sadowskys? I guess maybe this changed at some point, but I remember playing one 10-odd years back that was supposed to have been built in the Atelier Z factory, and it was great. Couldn't really tell the difference between it and a USA one. 

3 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

ESP also makes the Lakland Shoreline series (Japanese market only, sits inbetween the Chicago-made basses and the now Indonesian-made Skyline series).

1 hour ago, Russ said:

Wasn't it the Atelier Z guys who were doing the Japanese Sadowskys? I guess maybe this changed at some point, but I remember playing one 10-odd years back that was supposed to have been built in the Atelier Z factory, and it was great. Couldn't really tell the difference between it and a USA one. 

That’s what I thought but found a post where Roger said that it wasn’t and yoshi kikuchi had cut his interest in AtelierZ before starting Sadowsky japan … Japanese manufacturing is apparently quite collaborative so a factory building the bits that then a semi independent team put together isn’t inconceivable … and there’s a video from Bass japan direct where he says it’s ESP…

I mean process of elimination for the volume it’s probably going to be one of the bigger manufacturers… Fujigen, Devisor, PGM or ESP … and Devisor and Fujigen aren’t based on Tokyo… so… 

• Like 1

On 07/12/2021 at 22:14, BassAgent said:

It's so strange how people either really really really like or really really dislike the MetroExpresses. I took mine to a rehearsal today and was impressed yet again.

Odd isn't it.  I've had mine for a good few weeks now and really enjoying it.  Taken it to a few practice sessions too and it fits in beautifully.

A fellow BCer brought his Will Lee Metro (MIJ) bass around so it was good to compare the two (even though his was fretted obvs).  I know he is on the look out for a fretless bass and I think he left with a very positive opinion of my MetroExpress bass.  Also very interesting to compare the Will Lee to my Sandberg California II TT passive.

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/01/2022 at 22:36, ead said:

Odd isn't it.  I've had mine for a good few weeks now and really enjoying it.  Taken it to a few practice sessions too and it fits in beautifully.

A fellow BCer brought his Will Lee Metro (MIJ) bass around so it was good to compare the two (even though his was fretted obvs).  I know he is on the look out for a fretless bass and I think he left with a very positive opinion of my MetroExpress bass.  Also very interesting to compare the Will Lee to my Sandberg California II TT passive.

Yep - got to spend an hour or so playing EAD's Sadowsky fretless (thanks mate). Very impressed indeed. Well finished, well set up and good quality components used throughout. It worked really well with the Thomastik Jazz flats that were fitted and also the East pre-amp. These are good upgrades to a really nice bass. Enjoyed it so much that after a couple of weeks deliberation, my finger may have accidentally slipped on the computer and I've ordered one for myself. Also took advantage of free delivery to bung in a set of the aforementioned flats. Should land next week!

• Like 1

I took delivery of this yesterday and finally got a chance to play it properly today.

It absolutely sings, with mwah for days. Out of the box the action was playable but high for my tastes, but knocking the saddles down quite a lot was no bother. Need to tweak the pickup positions as a result but that's a matter of taste really. Just been playing through a blank Helix preset and it sounds great.

The neck is lovely, quite flat I think, but very playable IMO.

Can't really see it in my crappy picture but the sparkle in the black finish is nice.

Took me a bit to realise I'd put the treble and bass to +10 instead of 0 but that one's on me.

Couple of downsides so far: the treble side of the P pickup isn't sitting flat (the bridge side is lower than the neck side), and I think the G and D strings are too quiet as a result -- may need to look at how it's attached. Also the plastic film over the control plate seems to have been under the screws and knobs, so it seems impossible to get it off cleanly -- it's been about 20 years since I've had a bass new from the factory though so maybe that's normal?

Overall I'm pretty happy, not least with the fact that my fretless chops (such as they were) don't seem to have completely disappeared.

778359982_PXL_20220211_2137282462.thumb.jpg.c90a9a9bd54b9db30ef7824948a61a6c.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, velvetkevorkian said:

I took delivery of this yesterday and finally got a chance to play it properly today.

It absolutely sings, with mwah for days. Out of the box the action was playable but high for my tastes, but knocking the saddles down quite a lot was no bother. Need to tweak the pickup positions as a result but that's a matter of taste really. Just been playing through a blank Helix preset and it sounds great.

Can't really see it in my crappy picture but the sparkle in the black finish is nice.

Took me a bit to realise I'd put the treble and bass to +10 instead of 0 but that one's on me.

Couple of downsides so far: the treble side of the P pickup isn't sitting flat (the bridge side is lower than the neck side), and I think the G and D strings are too quiet as a result -- may need to look at how it's attached. Also the plastic film over the control plate seems to have been under the screws and knobs, so it seems impossible to get it off cleanly -- it's been about 20 years since I've had a bass new from the factory though so maybe that's normal?

Overall I'm pretty happy, not least with the fact that my fretless chops (such as they were) don't seem to have completely disappeared.

778359982_PXL_20220211_2137282462.thumb.jpg.c90a9a9bd54b9db30ef7824948a61a6c.jpg

That looks beautiful, love the massive expanse of bare fretboard. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, velvetkevorkian said:

I really like the black sparkle finish on mine.  Currently toying with the idea of a B/W/B pickguard for added stealth.

• 5 months later...

Sometime this year Metro Express Basses getting proper Sadowsky Logo according to Roger, have VTC Kits available for those whom prefer Passive although Sadowsky preamp has always been a major part of Magic, 19mm spacing on 5 strings [I like this.] all original release quirks eliminated

Hopefully this will make a great friend of all bass players [who was integral moving Bass Guitars to higher standards] attempt to bring some of his Magic to the Masses successful 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Nebadon2000 said:

Sometime this year Metro Express Basses getting proper Sadowsky Logo according to Roger, have VTC Kits available for those whom prefer Passive although Sadowsky preamp has always been a major part of Magic, 19mm spacing on 5 strings [I like this.] all original release quirks eliminated

Hopefully this will make a great friend of all bass players [who was integral moving Bass Guitars to higher standards] attempt to bring some of his Magic to the Masses successful 

This is all good news, maybe the Tesco logo ones will become collectors items?

I thought the 5s had 19mm spacing already though?

lemmywinks said

"This is all good news, maybe the Tesco logo ones will become collectors items?

I thought the 5s had 19mm spacing already though?"

Yes 19mm is original; I mentioned because the 16.5-18mm on most 5's has kept me from trying/buying them; may be same for some others.

Once new logo is available😀 I may give a 5er a try without to much of a financial hit[been playing 4 string for 45+ years] my only other choice is a Squire Jazz and I am not a Jazz Guy or 'Squire Boy' not sure how difficult learning curve is and if at this point have the patience and desire to suffer much frustration.

Edited by Nebadon2000

On 23/01/2022 at 02:55, Jeffb28451 said:

Have had older ( dinky body type)  Metro (not Expess) and traded it for my current older ( heavy!)  Tokyo Sadowsky. Both great. Old Tokyo almost 2.3 kilos heavier, though!

Was recently  going to get that  “old guys retirement present,  last bass” and last month played new Warwick Metro ($4k, usd) and the deluxe version ( almost $6k usd). Horrid, cheap feeling and no sound to brag about, with Warwick’s usual lack of attention to fit and finish.  These cannot  be what Mr.  Sadowsky had in mind!

if you have one, ymmv…I hope so.

That’s a new one on me. Maybe some of the Chinese Rock Bass models aren’t quite up to scratch (I’ve not played one), but having owned more than 35 German Warwicks, not one of them had any fit or finish issues at all - in fact the only problems I had was a very old used SS1 6 with too much relief in the first 3 frets and an occasional cut out with the dodgy barrel jacks they used to use (and may well still use). 

I have two German Metrolines (2020 HPJ5 and 2022 vintage JJ5) and the for and finish on both is amongst the best I’ve ever seen from any manufacturer. Fretwork, finishing, construction and balance are outstanding. I’ve played a few more, including a 2021 limited edition modern 5, and it was fabulous. So yes, my M very much V ;)

19 minutes ago, FDC484950 said:

That’s a new one on me. Maybe some of the Chinese Rock Bass models aren’t quite up to scratch (I’ve not played one), but having owned more than 35 German Warwicks, not one of them had any fit or finish issues at all - in fact the only problems I had was a very old used SS1 6 with too much relief in the first 3 frets and an occasional cut out with the dodgy barrel jacks they used to use (and may well still use). 

I have two German Metrolines (2020 HPJ5 and 2022 vintage JJ5) and the for and finish on both is amongst the best I’ve ever seen from any manufacturer. Fretwork, finishing, construction and balance are outstanding. I’ve played a few more, including a 2021 limited edition modern 5, and it was fabulous. So yes, my M very much V ;)

There's a handful of people on here who really don't like Warwick, I wouldn't pay much attention to it.

• Like 2

I’m very late to this topic but did briefly have two early Metro Expresses.  One JJ and one hybrid.  Both suffered from  excessive hum, poor finishing (pickguard to control plate gaps) and very poorly finished frets.  So much so that if I had been asked to do a blindfold test on a £99 Harley Benton I had at the time and a ME, I would have thought the rough fret ends belonged to the HB, not the ME.  The HB had way better finished frets.  I also didn’t like the massive increase in volume when switching from passive to active - personal thing - but haven’t experienced the same issue with Shukers or some Fenders I’ve owned.  The best thing about them was probably the gig bag.  Very disappointing and not what I expected from Sadowsky or RSD as they were labelled.  I’m sure (hope) the later versions are better. 

• 3 weeks later...

My Japanese Metro's components are the same as they put on the NYC basses. The Chinese built RSD basses are built to a very different spec, so I would expect the Warwick made Sadowsky pickups and electrics to sound better. How else would they justify the much higher cost? How much better, and would you notice in the mix? I wouldn't know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, velvetkevorkian said:

Has anyone swapped the pickups for the higher end Sadowsky ones? There's a set to fit mine in the classifieds and I'm tempted, but I suspect that's just my GAS brain talking.

They're a bargain so trying them out isn't a gamble, even if you don't like them you won't lose money selling them on. I bought some used Nordstrands for my Sire, gigged them for 3 years and sold them on for what I paid for them when I got a new bass.

• Like 1