Why become a member? ×

Hi! A sheer, utter newbie takes his first baby steps...

Guest tangledfeet

Guest tangledfeet

I joined several days ago and have already learnt loads just browsing, and have been made to feel most welcome already when I commented on my profile thinking it was my profile itself!  I've also found a member with whom I share a mutual friend ;a former colleague for me and former band member for him - sláinte @mcnach!

I've gone from nought to buying a Sire M2 in translucent blue and Ashdown Studio 8 in just over a week after seeing a colleague (he may even be on here!) at work pull out his bass from beside his desk and plugging it into the amp I hadn't noticed - and being mesmerised.  I've had an acoustic for circa 25yrs but that only comes out when I find out that a guest can play the guitar; I'll be selling that on... turns out it might be worth more than I'd anticipated.

I was nervous about telling Project Management, bless her wee cotton socks, about my latest middle-aged crisis investment but after she heard me play alongside a YouTube beginners video last night she's been quite positive.  Besides, she's got a horse so whatever I spend on my own varied interests always pale into insignificance...

419152965_sirem2.thumb.jpg.d36982da38877821d1d81808554fdca9.jpg

It looks quite green here but the blue is more obvious in daylight and as someone who works with and appreciates wood I am utterly stunned by the aesthetics!

Welcome aboard!! 

:crigon_04:

I had colleagues who played bass who supported and encouraged me (and took the fosters as well - which helps no end 🙂 )

3 hours ago, tangledfeet said:

Besides, she's got a horse so whatever I spend on my own varied interests always pale into insignificance...

That made me laugh out loud - and then had to explain to my wife what I'm laughing at on the internet 😄

Where about in Fife are you? I lived up in St Andrews for a couple of years - lovely place. If I recall correctly @Magoo1973 is up in Fife, as is @Dov65.  Get the three of you together to make a racket and you could remind folks of when Leuchars was an RAF base.

Edited by Richard R
the profanity filter changed p*ss to fosters ;- , and I then spotted a grammar error.

Guest tangledfeet
42 minutes ago, Richard R said:

Where about in Fife are you? I lived up in St Andrews for a couple of years - lovely place.

It is a nice wee place!  We're a few miles out of St Andrews in a tiny village known primarily for its Michelin star restaurant - Peat Inn.

You're right; many folk do miss the sound of the RAF planes - almost a novelty when something noisy flies overhead!

Guest tangledfeet
11 hours ago, mcnach said:

Hi Andrew! :)

Beautiful bass, I love that combination of blue/maple and how well colour coordinated it is with your printer :D

LOL - And the cheapo racking/shelving I have in my creche study! 😁

Welcome TF.  Lovely looking first bass.

One early Basschat tip for you.  Don't go near the For Sale section.  You may think you've got everything you need right now, but you'll see dozens of lovely shiny basses, amps and pedals that you "really need"....  It's a slippery slope from there on  😁