Jump to content
Chopthebass

Eich monster cab

Recommended Posts

You may have already seen this, but I just came across it for the first time! 
2x15, 4x10 and 2x12 in one 2400w RMS cab? Really? Only 155 pounds in weight. 
I would love to hear what our speaker cab design experts think of this one. 26hz really? 
 


https://www.eich-amps.com/xlcab?fbclid=IwAR1IsC15BOyxxHIZNEdz5Zw_BL4BeYBVnUQ4jTu3uY1gJe9QwVq7OYcvMSQ

8C1B6A22-B47C-4C6C-9522-A896F496143D.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

They need to make a bigger amp - that one looks a bit daft 🤨

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mykesbass said:

 

They need to make a bigger amp - that one looks a bit daft 🤨

I hadn’t spotted the amp😆😆. Agreed it needs big rack full of unnecessary gear

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Chopthebass said:

I hadn’t spotted the amp😆😆

Not surprising! Pimple on a pig's backside as my old dad would have said! 

Cab looks amazing though!

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Free forklift truck with every one purchased, too ...

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suppose if you know absolutely nothing about loudspeaker design it's impressive. I would have found it so, fifty years ago. But not forty years ago, let alone today.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

I suppose if you know absolutely nothing about loudspeaker design it's impressive. I would have found it so, fifty years ago. But not forty years ago, let alone today.

Come on Bill, it looks great! Might sound rubbish, need three of you to get it on to the stage, and give the sound man no end of nightmares, but it looks great B|

  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if the cab has separate compartments? Just generally curious about this speaker cab.

 I wouldn’t want to move this around. Probably too long for any estate car!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps it's intended for large touring bands to store all their spare drivers in safely? 🙂

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

26hz? Even if it will go that low (and produce usable volume at that frequency), it's meaningless. Start producing subsonic/infra bass frequencies and you run into all sorts of issues - tons of mud, gobbling up amp headroom, ultra low frequencies migrating into drums and other resonant or acoustic instruments, up mic stands into the PA, etc, etc, to say nothing of the problems involved in transporting it. If you really want enormous frequency range, it would be far more practical to run multiple cabs and horns, with proper active crossovers and dedicated power amplification. One of those "Look how clever we are" products that has little application in the real world.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw it on Facebook when it was launched and I asked a load of questions... until Thomas Eich blocked me.

 

11 stone for a cab. Bloody stupid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I saw it on Facebook when it was launched and I asked a load of questions... until Thomas Eich blocked me.

 

11 stone for a cab. Bloody stupid.

More TE heft chat again no doubt.....🤦🏾‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a Tecamp cab and measuring it and working out how it hadn’t been designed properly was the start of a journey through well engineered cabs.
With the caveat that I’m not an expert, and I may not have measured correctly or done my sums right - it was an awful piece of non engineering. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mykesbass said:

 it looks great B|

It looks big, I'll grant that. This is the kind of Frankenstein's Monster abomination that can only come out of a marketing department with no input whatsoever from an engineer. That was a common enough scenario in the 60s and 70s, but there's no excuse for it today.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thomas Eich says those drivers were engineered to work together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, stevie said:

Thomas Eich says those drivers were engineered to work together.

He would, wouldn’t he! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

😊

Yes, he would.

Edited by stevie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, stevie said:

Thomas Eich says those drivers were engineered to work together.

He told me that as well.

I also asked him why his market research suggested such a heavy cab would sell in sufficient numbers in the modern lightweight cab world particularly after Darkglass had abandoned their heavy cabs after only a year.... and then pointed him to other similar sized cabs with better specs and only half the weight.

 

Then I got blocked.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

C'mon guys give them a break. It's a publicity thing. I see they are offering custom builds and designs too, maybe this started off as one of those. If Barefaced suddenly and unexpectedly offered an 8x15 we'd all be hooked into it. I'd absolutely love to play in front of that Grateful Dead PA even though I know it's 'all wrong' and would be completely blown out of the water by a modern line array. Anyone remember this Custom 8x15 bass cabinet - Amps and Cabs - Basschat

Of course he chose speakers that would more or less work together, is that engineering? Who cares, it's a bit of fun, nobody here is going to buy the thing, but if we saw it in Metallica's back line????

Of course it's all wrong, those 8 speakers should be in a vertical line with proper crossovers and maybe in a D'Appolito alignment with the horns at ear level so the bassist can 'really' hear what they are playing. Think of this as like those giant figures on Route66 or the world's biggest pencil in the pencil museum in Keswick.

If someone wants a custom 4x18 I'm up fr a commission

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This cab would not look out of place in one of those old vintage Trace Elliot brochures, where the product description would be along the lines of 'best used in pairs for a full range stereo gig. Richard Savage used 8 of these on the most recent Def Leppard tour. Slap players may benefit from using the optional 12x6 Mega Bright Box in order to bring out some extra highs.'

Edited by thodrik
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Phil Starr said:

 

If someone wants a custom 4x18 I'm up fr a commission

Expensive - you'll have to build a new shed first...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Phil Starr said:

C'mon guys give them a break. It's a publicity thing. I see they are offering custom builds and designs too, maybe this started off as one of those. If Barefaced suddenly and unexpectedly offered an 8x15 we'd all be hooked into it. I'd absolutely love to play in front of that Grateful Dead PA even though I know it's 'all wrong' and would be completely blown out of the water by a modern line array. Anyone remember this Custom 8x15 bass cabinet - Amps and Cabs - Basschat

Of course he chose speakers that would more or less work together, is that engineering? Who cares, it's a bit of fun, nobody here is going to buy the thing, but if we saw it in Metallica's back line????

Of course it's all wrong, those 8 speakers should be in a vertical line with proper crossovers and maybe in a D'Appolito alignment with the horns at ear level so the bassist can 'really' hear what they are playing. Think of this as like those giant figures on Route66 or the world's biggest pencil in the pencil museum in Keswick.

If someone wants a custom 4x18 I'm up fr a commission

Nicely put Phil. 

Except...speak for yourself when it comes to a BF 8x15, I'm sticking with my BB2 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Chopthebass said:

I wonder if the cab has separate compartments? Just generally curious about this speaker cab.

 I wouldn’t want to move this around. Probably too long for any estate car!

With the front porting at the bottom, the only way they could be in separate compartments would be if the 2x15“ drivers were ported and everything else was in sealed internal boxes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...