Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Owners Club

stewblack

The EHBs only seem to have had a few different finish options added, and that's almost all for the 150x series. No fretless options than the 1005 - no 4-string, no 150x fretless. The 126x remains a single-bass range when it could be expanded to effectively allow the 100x range to have nicer finishes while keeping the lower cost Bart pickups. It seems like a bit of an opportunity missed.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tauzero said:

The EHBs only seem to have had a few different finish options added, and that's almost all for the 150x series. No fretless options than the 1005 - no 4-string, no 150x fretless. The 126x remains a single-bass range when it could be expanded to effectively allow the 100x range to have nicer finishes while keeping the lower cost Bart pickups. It seems like a bit of an opportunity missed.

I think part of the issue is that when you do standard and multiscale options there has to be a narrower range, especially as these are already pretty niche being headless and when you add fretless into the mix they can't go wild with different finishes. It's frustrating but understandable, they're gonna sell way more SR basses than EHB although I would like to see the fretless with the 1265 finish.

It would be good if they brought some of the lower cost (but still nice) stained finishes over from the SR range like the SVM on the 300, TSU on the 400 or black stained burst on the 600 series. Couple that with the CND, T1 or Powerspans to further keep costs down and they could probably still hit that ~£900 price point or even lower if they use a veneer on a slab body with no chambering.

Edited by lemmywinks
  • Like 1

I dont' think this is unusual for ibanez. Although there are a lot of different SRs, that is only because they have been going so long. Each year they have a few models in a few colours. Otherwise it is a big market to cover.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lemmywinks said:

I think part of the issue is that when you do standard and multiscale options there has to be a narrower range, especially as these are already pretty niche being headless and when you add fretless into the mix they can't go wild with different finishes. It's frustrating but understandable, they're gonna sell way more SR basses than EHB although I would like to see the fretless with the 1265 finish.

True, but they've already got the different finish bodies for the fixed-scale 150x instruments. It's also a bit surprising that the only fretless is a 5-stringer which makes it even more niche (I speak as a 5-string player who is aware that there are larger numbers of 4-string players out there). The one instrument that they've put a pretty finish on but with Barts is the 1265MS, which shows that they can do it. A 1265F would have me definitely considering failing the abstinence challenge, whereas I find paint finishes a complete turn-off (I realise that this is an entirely subjective and self-centred POV).

I assume that the EHB range has been successful as they are enlarging it a bit - I wouldn't think they'd just put a few different finishes out there to try and make an unsuccessful range successful.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Bassic_Science said:

Happy new member of this club! 

Just got my EHB1505 today. Really delighted with it so far. Love the look, it's super comfy neck, and the sound. Plus it's ridiculously light! 

IMG-20240119-WA0004.jpeg

IMG-20240119-WA0006.jpeg

It IS freaky superstisous beautiful. The ramp between pickups is cool, too. Modern sound. Good money. Cheers!

• Like 1

Said it before...

Really... for whatever the choice of model, look, playability and spec or platform modability, with a level of finish from basswood to coffee table, for ya £€$ Ibby 'Bring It'...

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, MM Stingray 62 said:

I’ve just picked this up a couple of weeks ago. I’m now on the lookout for a 1980 fretted version in great condition if anyone wants to move one on.

IMG_8031.jpeg

IMG_8032.jpeg

IMG_8010.jpeg

Super trooper !!!🤙

• 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, BassApprentice said:

Just perusing the Ibanez site as I still have a hankering for a bass with the Powerspan pickups after trying one a while back. I fully appreciate Ibanez do things differently, but this is just.....eeeesh.

Anyone a fan of this finish? Mars Gold Metallic Burst

image.png.91c11109fd2a37575f5a2f1790e7ed64.png

Looks nice - modern.

2 hours ago, BassApprentice said:

Just perusing the Ibanez site as I still have a hankering for a bass with the Powerspan pickups after trying one a while back. I fully appreciate Ibanez do things differently, but this is just.....eeeesh.

I'm.... Not a fan! 🫢

Where in the range does that sit? Is it a 4 series?

Edited by TRBboy

On 12/02/2024 at 15:33, BassApprentice said:

The top looks nice in the middle but it looks like someone has sprayed the edge in an attempt to hide something nasty.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/02/2024 at 15:33, BassApprentice said:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and my eye says 🤢.

On 12/02/2024 at 18:20, TRBboy said:

I'm.... Not a fan! 🫢

Where in the range does that sit? Is it a 4 series?

I like it.

I mean given the choice I would rather have a bass in matte black or dark green finish, but I can think of several other finish options where I'd much rather have this.

Also I really appreciate Ibanez has got the guts to experiment as much as they do with their guitar and bass models compared to pretty much every other big cooperate guitar/bass brand.  

Ibanez pushes innovation forward, whereas it seems like most other brands/companies their size do their best to kill innovation.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

I like it.

I mean given the choice I would rather have a bass with matte black or dark green finish, but I can think of several other finish options where I'd much rather have this.

Also I really appreciate Ibanez has the guts to experiment as much as they do with their guitar and bass models compared to pretty much every other big cooperate guitar/bass brand.  

Ibanez pushes innovation forward, whereas it seems like most other brands/companies their size seems to do their best to kill innovation.

Completely agree, yes it's not too my taste, but I really appreciate that Ibanez are always innovating and trying to change things up, it's refreshing compared to a lot of other guitar companies. They have loads of different choices at every price point.

I'm most pleased that they're now doing more finishes in the SR500 series, which HAS to be about their biggest selling range. The old brown stain was pretty tired, but the black and black aurora burst in particular look awesome.

I keep flirting with the idea of an EHB... Every time I pick one up in a guitar store it feels superb! 😍

• Like 2

I think Ibanez had innovation forced on them to a large degree. They started off making Fender, Gibson and Gretsch clones but ran foul of US brands’ legal departments: hence the sought after “lawsuit” models. That forced them into coming up with designs which wouldn’t attract litigation. Ironically, the US brands inadvertently created a genuine mass market rival to their own products by pushing Ibanez to innovate 😀. Perhaps we should all be grateful to Fender, Gibson, etc for that!

Edited by Obrienp
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Obrienp said:

I think Ibanez had innovation forced on them to a large degree. They started off making Fender, Gibson and Gretsch clones but ran foul of US brands’ legal departments: hence the sought after “lawsuit” models. That forced them into coming up with designs which wouldn’t attract litigation. Ironically, the US brands inadvertently created a genuine mass market rival to their own products by pushing Ibanez to innovate 😀. Perhaps we should all be grateful to Fender, Gibson, etc for that!

I think the greatest Fender clone was Squier (before it was bought by Fender). Why it was legal and official for all those years?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nilorius said:

I think the greatest Fender clone was Squier (before it was bought by Fender). Why it was legal and official for all those years?

Before Squier was bought by Fender (in 1965) they only made strings. So I do hope this was an attempt at joking :ph34r:

Squier has only been making guitars and basses since 1982. 

Edited by LeftyJ
  • Like 2