Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

14 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Just my own point of view, with nothing other than instinct to support it:

More vintage instruments appearing on the market could just be down to the grim reaper coming to claim the ageing owners and their estate divesting the asset. All the time notable players are picking them up and telling the community how great they are (the basses, not the artist), the market will continue.

Can someone buy my 61P before the grim reaper gets around to me please! :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Just my own point of view, with nothing other than instinct to support it:

More vintage instruments appearing on the market could just be down to the grim reaper coming to claim the ageing owners and their estate divesting the asset. All the time notable players are picking them up and telling the community how great they are (the basses, not the artist), the market will continue.

What’s interesting is that culture moves on so quickly. We revere a period of culture from 1960 - 1976 (approx) as somehow when the worlds of music and musical instrument mass manufacture peaked. Neither is true of course, as there’s no real objective criteria On which to do so. Cultural gatekeepers continue to tell us this is the case and it’ll prop up the market until these people are gone and there’s a critical reappraisal. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sparky Mark said:

Yes - I’ll PayPal you £10 tonight, I’ll expect it on my doormat by Monday though 

• Haha 1

I can’t see them going down any time soon myself, the big jump I noticed has been over the last 3 years or so and I think the more desirable all original ones seem to be selling well in Europe, collectors maybe, I don’t know, 

theres 2 I’d like at the moment , a mint 68P at Walt Grace Vintage but crazy price, and a 64 jazz at ATB but at 20k , no thanks 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I can’t see them going down any time soon myself, the big jump I noticed has been over the last 3 years or so and I think the more desirable all original ones seem to be selling well in Europe, collectors maybe, I don’t know, 

theres 2 I’d like at the moment , a mint 68P at Walt Grace Vintage but crazy price, and a 64 jazz at ATB but at 20k , no thanks 

You (like me) have the capital to pay for one but you won’t as you don’t see the value - yet you believe it’ll continue to rise? Not sure how that works.

6 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

You (like me) have the capital to pay for one but you won’t as you don’t see the value - yet you believe it’ll continue to rise? Not sure how that works.

Probably because the likes of you and me don’t have 20K of surplus income sat gathering dust in a bank account or bedside cabinet knowing that it’s losing purchasing power every month it sits there.

Vintage investments and crypto may just collapse in value. Cash is definitely doing so.

Edited by tegs07
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

Because other people do. They continue to buy and so drive the price up and arguably feed the perceived desirability. I see only antique value myself. 

4 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

I see what you’re saying, not sure if it’s the value so much for me but I get nervous above 10k for a bass , I’m sure someone else will buy them 

1 minute ago, tegs07 said:

Probably because the likes of you and me don’t have 20K sat gathering dust in a bank account or bedside cabinet knowing that it’s losing purchasing power every month it sits there.

Vintage investments and crypto may just collapse in value. Cash is definitely doing so.

I could afford one (if I didn’t invest in a pension) but it’s an illiquid and very fragile asset class. Guess wine or whisky is worse, but they’re in the same ballpark.

1 minute ago, Burns-bass said:

I could afford one (if I didn’t invest in a pension) but it’s an illiquid and very fragile asset class. Guess wine or whisky is worse, but they’re in the same ballpark.

Same here but Im just a prole that’s getting poorer.

4 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

Because other people do. They continue to buy and so drive the price up and arguably feed the perceived desirability. I see only antique value myself. 

It’s all good. I think these are vanity purchases by asset rich boomers that will hold much less value for future generations. I have one (bought when cheap) and I love it, but most of these sit on stands and do nowt. 

My gran used to collect vintage pottery that was hugely valuable at the time and now is pretty much worthless and fashions have changed. 

If I were to invest in stuff for a return I’d be buying vintage synths and electronic music stuff. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

If I were to invest in stuff for a return I’d be buying vintage synths and electronic music stuff. 

The vintage synth market is over-priced and the actual instruments are failing because they were never designed to last this long. Custom ICs that were in a lot of synths are getting harder and harder to source. Working vintage synths have so many replaced parts that you might as well have bought a Behringer re-creation.

As someone who owned a lot of these synths when they were new, I really can't see the attraction. None of the synths I owned (some are now extremely desirable for reasons that totally escape me) were irreplaceable from a sonic PoV. Each time I "upgraded" to something "better", I never bothered about trying to recreate the sounds of the old synth I had just sold. I created new ones with my new synth that worked equally well for the songs we were playing.

57 minutes ago, Sparky Mark said:

Just out of curiosity, how much would your other half be willing to let it go for?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

The vintage synth market is over-priced and the actual instruments are failing because they were never designed to last this long. Custom ICs that were in a lot of synths are getting harder and harder to source. Working vintage synths have so many replaced parts that you might as well have bought a Behringer re-creation.

As someone who owned a lot of these synths when they were new, I really can't see the attraction. None of the synths I owned (some are now extremely desirable for reasons that totally escape me) were irreplaceable from a sonic PoV. Each time I "upgraded" to something "better", I never bothered about trying to recreate the sounds of the old synth I had just sold. I created new ones with my new synth that worked equally well for the songs we were playing.

Same as most vintage Fenders. The “experts” either ignore changes or are ignorant about them. Charlie Chandler is selling a 65 jazz with the wrong bridge, for example. I’ve seen two of my old basses selling at the moment with changes I told the buyer about but the dealer has either missed or ignored to mention.

If people wonder why I’m skeptical, I’ll use an example. This is an old one of mine. It was built by Steve at Electric Ladyland in Bristol who sold it for £1000 in 2001.

There’s a route under the bridge that’s visible (and was previously covered by a Badass bridge). The neck and body were joined in his shop, the electrics are all rewired and the pickup cavities enlarged. The pickguard was previously an original 70s one, but has been swapped again.

I sold this for £900 in 2005 and told the buyer all of this. It’s now £2600 with only a few of these things mentioned.

https://www.vintagerareandretro.co.uk/store/1974-Fender-Jazz-Bass-4-Bolt-p553279599

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Geek99 said:

Yes - I’ll PayPal you £10 tonight, I’ll expect it on my doormat by Monday though 

Now you're just being silly, I'll double it to £20 and I'll pick it up to save you the effort of putting it in the letter box, can't say fairer than that... Far better offer

• Haha 1