Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

17 minutes ago, SurroundedByManatees said:

It was for sale on reverb at a Swedish vintage shop. I made an offer I'd never think would be accepted, but it happened. 

I always kinda regretted selling my '71 I've owned a few years ago. Just as I was thinking. About it last week, this '70 popped up.

In the advertising there was no mentioning of the original invoice and tags. It's also a surprise that the case has a Fender branded plate on it. So those were pleasant surprises.

Why can't I have accidents like that? My accidents normally consist of removing parts of me through incompetence and trips to A&E to meet the nurses who are fast becoming family friends. When they greet you by your first name, you know you've come too many times.

Edited by rwillett
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Owen said:

Ah. The joy of late night "I am safe to make this offer. They will never accept it. Oh, they did".

I did it the other night, late in the evening after a "couple of glasses of wine". I still may have to honour that one, we'll see. If I do, I will get a bargain, a classic, and something I may use, but I don't really need it !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

This must have been heavily played looking at the neck wear, nice bass 

https://reverb.com/uk/item/79902368-fender-precision-1966-blonde-slab-ex-the-who-john-entwhistle

Hmm. Isn't this place another front for Justin Harrison?

edit: https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/09481164/officers

Edited by ossyrocks
  • Like 2

Do Denmark Street/Amsterdam guitars have something to do with the old Music Ground company, or is that a completely different entity entirely?

Edit to say, apologies, I was slower off the mark than ossyrocks!

Edited by Old Man Riva

8 minutes ago, Old Man Riva said:

Do Denmark Street/Amsterdam guitars have something to do with the old Music Ground company, or is that a completely different entity entirely?

See my post above.

Yes.

If any of you are unaware of the Harrisons I would beg you to do some research. They are crooks, through and through. I personally know people who have worked for them.

They had a reputation of being able to source anything..... and they could.....because they frickin made it

Edited by ossyrocks
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

See my post above.

Yes.

If any of you are unaware of the Harrisons I would beg you to do some research. They are crooks, through and through. I personally know people who have worked for them.

They had a reputation of being able to source anything..... and they could.....because they frickin made it

Aye, I wouldn’t be handing over £16.99 let alone £16,999 for that Entwistle bass.

I spent an enjoyable afternoon at David Pym’s place a few years back trying out some of his stock. He explained in great detail how certain companies operated. There used to be a piece on his website about it - there probably still is… 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Old Man Riva said:

Aye, I wouldn’t be handing over £16.99 let alone £16,999 for that Entwistle bass.

I spent an enjoyable afternoon at David Pym’s place a few years back trying out some of his stock. He explained in great detail how certain companies operated. There used to be a piece on his website about it - there probably still is… 

I could write quite a long piece about this, but it's all out there to see now.
I knew Justin quite well, and his Dad Rick. I used to deal with them quite a bit in the 90's and early 2000's. Mostly old amps, amp components and speakers. Only later did the full extent of their deceit come to light. They actually carried out/arranged robberies (the one in Italy was huge), they faked gear on an industrial scale, Dumble amps, plexi Marshalls, custom colour Fenders, Korina Gibsons, it must have run into £millions. There was a fake Marshall factory, with all the head cabinets out in the sunshine fading and being kicked about to relic them. There was even a Chip Shop Salt Shaker with vintage dust in it to shake dust inside the cabs.

Edited by ossyrocks
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

See my post above.

Yes.

I have read a fair bit about them before once and didn’t twig that was their shop, probably best to avoid them, thanks for pointing this out 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

I could write quite a long piece about this, but it's all out there to see now.
I knew Justin quite well, and his Dad Rick. I used to deal with them quite a bit in the 90's and early 2000's. Mostly old amps, amp components and speakers. Only later did the full extent of their deceit come to light. They actually carried out/arranged robberies (the one in Italy was huge), they faked gear on an industrial scale, Dumble amps, plexi Marshalls, custom colour Fenders, Korina Gibsons, it must have run into £millions. There was a fake Marshall factory, with all the head cabinets out in the sunshine fading and being kicked about to relic them. There was even a Chip Shop Salt Shaker with vintage dust in it to shake dust inside the cabs.

They also managed to do a very good job of signing Harry Joyce's name on a load of HiWatts...

On 03/11/2023 at 22:50, Velarian said:

An interesting bass coming up for auction at Gardiner Houlgate

This bass mustn’t have sold last time around and it’s back in the sale on 5th March with a much more realistic guide price of £1,500 to £2,500. Seems about right for the year/condition. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/02/2024 at 21:26, Velarian said:

This bass mustn’t have sold last time around and it’s back in the sale on 5th March with a much more realistic guide price of £1,500 to £2,500. Seems about right for the year/condition. 

Sold for £2300 plus 26% 

Looking elsewhere at the numbers of very desirable prime pre CBS Fender basses that have become available with reputable dealers such as Andy Baxter and ATB, I wonder whether the sharp price increases of the last few years have taken what is a niche market to a point where supply outstrips demand, at current pricing levels at least.

In particular, the  more common sunbursts seem expensive at £14-15000 for decent, complete examples. I’m always a buyer for a well playing original finish Jazz Bass from 1965 and before, perhaps 1966 if custom colour, but over £10k for me is the level where excitement over a vintage bass (or guitar-sorry) can be rationalised away. And I wouldn’t pay £10k for a ‘65.

In my opinion, the market for rare vintage Fender basses, particularly pre-1966, will always have a level of price justification/correllation, in its link to the more popular and numerous vintage Strat/Telecaster equivalents, which still seem to find buyers swiftly.

In the UK over a 12-month period, I would be fascinated to know how many prime vintage bass transactions take place. Is it more than a handful? If not, Messrs Baxter and ATB suddenly having 8 unsold prime examples between them, where previously it might have been 2 or 3, might not be great for confidence in a market where the cutting edge is very small. Asking prices seem to be up around 30% over the last 2-3 years. Pretty much in line with a lot of other costs, but these are discretionary purchases with perfectly acceptable alternatives at 20% of the price.

I’m Interested to see where the market goes from here.

• Like 1

A variety of scenario's are possible I think.

The owners of the vintage shops have to live from it, so they do have to move stuff to make a living. If nothing shifts at current pricing, they will discount their prices. And if so, the smaller sellers "have" to follow. Although some will never low their prices and rather keep it for sale for another 3 years 

That being said, I suspect that there still could be a growth in the market for late '60s- '70s Fenders. As they are now the relatively affordable range on the timeline for vintage Fenders.

Anyway, if the market prices will get lower in time, it will be a slow process .