Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

On 06/07/2023 at 22:24, ped said:

My 66 has a hootenanny strap button but it’s missing so now there’s just a hole. Anyone know where to get one, I think they’re a bit different to a regular strap button and the screw must be different too? 

AFAICS the same button but shorter screw to avoid embassaing sharp point on front of headstock.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

AFAICS the same button but shorter screw to avoid embassaing sharp point on front of headstock.

The pdf that @Chiliwailer provided shows the screw is a  'SCREW SMA 5 X 5/8 OHP NI" but I'll be jiggered if I can find a UK equivalent

10 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I believe that only had a 14 fret neck or something ? 

Yep, as Nilorius says 15 frets, but with a weird elongated body. I do like them although I only ever played one once, it was a target-burst one that was for sale at the old Chandlers shop in Kew, Surrey. Price wasn’t outrageous for the time (2003) but I was more into Mustangs at the time so didn’t pursue it. Maybe I should have done? 

27 minutes ago, ped said:

The pdf that @Chiliwailer provided shows the screw is a  'SCREW SMA 5 X 5/8 OHP NI" but I'll be jiggered if I can find a UK equivalent

Contacted Fender? 

£8 is a bit silly for a screw (ooh er Mrs), but I think it’s the same as the string tree screw on the diagram IIRC, so Fender GBI/UK may have one? 
https://richtonemusic.co.uk/Fender-Pure-Vintage-Bass-String-Guide/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwriT5ZORgAMVWsHVCh3l5wdUEAQYByABEgIbUvD_BwE

Edited by Chiliwailer

20 minutes ago, meterman said:

Yep, as Nilorius says 15 frets, but with a weird elongated body. I do like them although I only ever played one once, it was a target-burst one that was for sale at the old Chandlers shop in Kew, Surrey. Price wasn’t outrageous for the time (2003) but I was more into Mustangs at the time so didn’t pursue it. Maybe I should have done? 

No doubt insane money nowadays, I d think there's far fewer of the 5's than the bass Vl's even ? 

I remember Chandlers at Kew, I got a neck and a body resprayed by them probably mid 80s ( the neck was OK but the body i wasn't that impressed with tbh.) 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

No doubt insane money nowadays, I d think there's far fewer of the 5's than the bass Vl's even ? 

I remember Chandlers at Kew, I got a neck and a body resprayed by them probably mid 80s ( the neck was OK but the body i wasn't that impressed with tbh.) 

Definitely fewer Bass V’s doing the rounds than IV’s. And every one I’ve seen for sale in recent years has been crazy money. But they are rare.

Chandlers used to be my go-to for repairs and setup work, mainly because Brinsley Schwartz was so brilliant with Telecasters. Also I only lived in Richmond so they were just one stop away on the District Line 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ped said:

I’ve just been through all my parts boxes and can’t believe I haven’t got any, surely someone on basschat must have a few for you 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chiliwailer said:

Contacted Fender? 

£8 is a bit silly for a screw (ooh er Mrs), but I think it’s the same as the string tree screw on the diagram IIRC, so Fender GBI/UK may have one? 
https://richtonemusic.co.uk/Fender-Pure-Vintage-Bass-String-Guide/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwriT5ZORgAMVWsHVCh3l5wdUEAQYByABEgIbUvD_BwE

Thanks again. Looks about right, but think it’s meant to be a cross head job

I just had a visit from the owner of the VI. He told me the instrument probably hasn't had any strings since about 1985, so I was the first person to play and hear it in almost 40 years🤩 His face when I played it was absolutely priceless. He ultimately wants to sell it, so I'll be selling it in a while, he's waiting with it for a bit due to personal circumstances.

But man, was he happy. And so am I.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, BassAgent said:

I just had a visit from the owner of the VI. He told me the instrument probably hasn't had any strings since about 1985, so I was the first person to play and hear it in almost 40 years🤩 His face when I played it was absolutely priceless. He ultimately wants to sell it, so I'll be selling it in a while, he's waiting with it for a bit due to personal circumstances.

But man, was he happy. And so am I.

What a wonderful thing to do. It must have meant a lot to him.

5 minutes ago, nilorius said:

It is going to be that we all should buy this Squire VI bass and Lennons song ''Imagine'' will come in truth and everybody, especially Waddo, will be absolutelly happy !!!😉

Well I very much like my Squier version, they wouldn't be for everyone though.... probably a "love them or hate them" type thing.. Give one a try if there's anywhere out your way that stocks 'em

13 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Well I very much like my Squier version, they wouldn't be for everyone though.... probably a "love them or hate them" type thing.. Give one a try if there's anywhere out your way that stocks 'em

Yoop, sooner or later it will happen. I always wanted to have a freaky baritone bass!