Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

The illustrated history book is a fantastic reference tool.

The Geddy book is atuffed full of gorgeous basses.

The "Febder, The Golden Age" book is droolsome. I got the inspiration for my recent Seafoam Green 50s P-Bass from that book!

20221129_153620.jpg

Edited by kevin_lindsay
  • Like 5

My new vintage P bass arrived in Morecambe last night courtesy of @CHRISDABASS. It’s a lovely thing indeed. Only 8 lbs 9 oz with the covers off, so my back and shoulder are very happy.
This has the same 41mm nut width as my ‘73, but has a fuller more rounded neck profile when compared. Quite a difference in the neck profiles in just five years of production. It’s really comfy in the hand though. It will be strung up with flats ASAP.

Rob

3D65BA55-F684-463A-B74B-04394507575F.jpeg

• Like 14

4 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

My new vintage P bass arrived in Morecambe last night courtesy of @CHRISDABASS. It’s a lovely thing indeed. Only 8 lbs 9 oz with the covers off, so my back and shoulder are very happy.
This has the same 41mm nut width as my ‘73, but has a fuller more rounded neck profile when compared. Quite a difference in the neck profiles in just five years of production. It’s really comfy in the hand though. It will be strung up with flats ASAP.

Rob

3D65BA55-F684-463A-B74B-04394507575F.jpeg

That’s a beauty, congrats Rob 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Just this minute sold for £2800 , not me 

So, what will the buyer end up actually paying with 24% buyers premium + VAT? Is that VAT on the buyers premium, or VAT on £2800 + 24%? 
Rob

4 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

So, what will the buyer end up actually paying with 24% buyers premium + VAT? Is that VAT on the buyers premium, or VAT on £2800 + 24%? 
Rob

If it’s VAT on the total, then it goes up to £4166.40. That’s quite a hike.

9 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

Rob

I think so , perhaps someone could confirm 

Buyer`s Premium 24% + VAT

Lots purchased online with the-saleroom.com will attract an additional charge for this service in the sum of 4.95% of the hammer price plus VAT at the rate imposed

The symbol ** next to a lot number indicates that VAT is payable by the buyer at the standard rate on the day of the auction on the hammer price as well as payable as part of the Buyer's Premium.

In guitar shops the VAT only applies to the profit sum on used basses, as full duty would have been paid once upon a time before. So if the bass cost them £200 and they sell it for £300, they only pay VAT on the £100 profit. 

I presume it’s only VAT on the auction commission of 4.95%. 

Edited by Chiliwailer
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Chiliwailer said:

In guitar shops the VAT only applies to the profit sum on used basses, as full duty would have been paid once upon a time before. So if the bass cost them £200 and they sell it for £300, they only pay VAT on the £100 profit. 

I presume it’s only VAT on the auction commission of 4.95%. 

And yet, when importing anything second-hand from abroad, VAT is charged on the whole value, plus the shipping; this, despite the taxes having already being paid when it was bought new. Hmm... :|

5 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

And yet, when importing anything second-hand from abroad, VAT is charged on the whole value, plus the shipping; this, despite the taxes having already being paid when it was bought new. Hmm... :|

Not here and not provable.

2 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Not here and not provable.

Quite right not provabe it’s already been paid here - unless you once went to the States with some blank receipts from the UK guitar shop you used to work for, and bought some nice gear and made up the receipts…

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Waddo Soqable said:

That's having your trousers taken down Big stylee

I would expect most buyers attending an auction with a serious intention to buy would understand how an auction works and the terms.

1 minute ago, Chiliwailer said:

Quite right not provabe it’s already been paid here - unless you once went to the States with some blank receipts from the UK guitar shop you used to work for, and bought some nice gear and made up the receipts…

It's not provable if (from France...), I buy second-hand from Germany, either. It's assumed, but not provable. Still, them's the rules, soooooo....

2 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

It's not provable if (from France...), I buy second-hand from Germany, either. It's assumed, but not provable. Still, them's the rules, soooooo....

It’s about paying the duty first time to the country you’re in, whether that’s when it’s new, or anytime thereafter when it first enters the county. Unless you can evidence that the country already received the full fat initial tax i.e. with an original receipt. 

Edited by Chiliwailer

2 minutes ago, Chiliwailer said:

It’s about paying the duty first time to the country you’re in, whether that’s when it’s new, or anytime thereafter when it first enters the county new. Unless you can evidence that the country already received the full fat initial tax i.e. with an original receipt. 

Such proof is not asked when buying from other EU countries, it's simply assumed. No receipts to produce; VAT just doesn't apply to private s/h sales, s'all. 

22 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Plus when you import from abroad you've just paid the tax to buy the shipping in that country, and then get the privilege to pay it again when it lands here.

Great 👍 

• Sad 1

On 06/04/2023 at 08:17, ossyrocks said:

Can anyone recommend a book about vintage Fender basses? I’d like history, timelines, details of features and changes as they evolved, and lots and lots of lovely pictures.

Ta,

Rob

Couple more books I've got on the shelf in addition to the "Illustrated History" previously mentioned! 

First one's a tad niche, but is probably my most thumbed book as I'm a bit of an SCPB fanboy...

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/9781574242546/Fender-Precision-Basses-1951-1954-Schmidt-1574242547/plp

And then there's this, which while not strictly bass-related, is full of all sorts of odds and ends and bits and bobs which may be of interest...

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/9781476817477/Fender-Archives-Scrapbook-Artifacts-Treasures-1476817472/plp

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tony_m said:

Couple more books I've got on the shelf in addition to the "Illustrated History" previously mentioned! 

First one's a tad niche, but is probably my most thumbed book as I'm a bit of an SCPB fanboy...

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/9781574242546/Fender-Precision-Basses-1951-1954-Schmidt-1574242547/plp

And then there's this, which while not strictly bass-related, is full of all sorts of odds and ends and bits and bobs which may be of interest...

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/9781476817477/Fender-Archives-Scrapbook-Artifacts-Treasures-1476817472/plp

Cheers for those. I’ll check ‘em out.

• Like 1