Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

3 minutes ago, miles'tone said:

Harrisons? Do tell...

I ask this as someone who, as we speak, has a bass on it's way back to Denmark Street for a refund and you've now got me worried!

Rose Morris btw.

Thieves, crooks, charlatans, fakers, gangsters, convicted criminals, how long a list do you want?

Edited by ossyrocks

2 hours ago, Deedee said:

I share your fears. I’m celebrating (?) my 50th and I would love a P bass from ‘73 but am scared to death of purchasing one from anyone other than someone such as Andy Baxter or a well known member on here, where the authenticity and provenance is known. 😬😬😬

BassBros sometimes have them in. I got my '73 from there.

• Thanks 1

Most of the early 70s Precisions I’ve seen in natural finish have had maple fingerboards and I think they came with white pickguards , not to say there isn’t any with rosewood and black pickguard as I’m sure you could order what you wanted 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

Thieves, crooks, charlatans, fakers, gangsters, convicted criminals, how long a list do you want?

Amazing to me that they can still trading.
In a line of business where trust is paramount, and the commodity being traded can be faked for profit, I find it difficult to understand how these lowlives can still be plying their slimy trade in plain sight.
Anyone who is considering buying a vintage guitar should be aware of these charlatans and give them a wide berth.

7 minutes ago, GuyR said:

Amazing to me that they can still trading.
In a line of business where trust is paramount, and the commodity being traded can be faked for profit, I find it difficult to understand how these lowlives can still be plying their slimy trade in plain sight.
Anyone who is considering buying a vintage guitar should be aware of these charlatans and give them a wide berth.

I’ve seen the video, quite scary really 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ossyrocks said:

'73's "usually" come up sunburst/tort, I don't recall ever seeing a natural/black one at all for sale recently. I bought a '73 P bass last year from ATB Guitars. I can highly recommend them. Mike Long is good to deal with, and it seems in retrospect that I got a really good deal on mine, given the way prices are now compared with only a year ago. All original bass, non-original case. I love it to bits.

Another option, and one I would consider, is contacting a couple of dealers and putting the word out that you're looking. Richard Henry is a straight up dealer, and is on "safari" all the time. If he knows someone is looking, he might find it. He's just put up a couple of '68 Tele basses ex-Oasis.

Rob

26 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Most of the early 70s Precisions I’ve seen in natural finish have had maple fingerboards and I think they came with white pickguards , not to say there isn’t any with rosewood and black pickguard as I’m sure you could order what you wanted 

Thanks for the info. I’m a little green when it comes to what was available/standard and when, so I’ll be swatting up and leaning heavily on you guys and others in the know. 😉

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Deedee said:

Thanks for the info. I’m a little green when it comes to what was available/standard and when, so I’ll be swatting up and leaning heavily on you guys and others in the know. 😉

It’s always nice to get a few opinions Deedee especially if it’s a lot of money you’re spending, I’m always asking or PM’ing someone for advice, I’m surprised a few people haven’t blocked me 😁

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Deedee said:

Could be tempted, but the dream vintage p I’d like would be natural with a rosewood board and black plate (I think someone was selling a ‘72 the exact same a couple of years ago @Clarky possibly)?

Not me. But, given my shameful record, a reasonable guess!

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

It’s always nice to get a few opinions Deedee especially if it’s a lot of money you’re spending, I’m always asking or PM’ing someone for advice, I’m surprised a few people haven’t blocked me 😁

Oh yes I’ll definitely be extremely cautious and thorough if/when something comes up  🤞.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

ATB have a sale on. That mint 74 Jazz is reduced by £1k. Also a couple of 60’s Precisions reduced.

Rob

I saw that, I keep going back for another look at the 63 P, it’s got a certain appeal 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

The worth of the commodity. I think it is pretty obvious the vintage market has been driven by dealers creating prices and consumers forget the difference, and ultimately creating investment opportunity.

Exactly, we as consumers have no control over what the dealers deem to be market value for vintage Fenders and thus get caught up in the inflated prices.

56 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

The worth of the commodity. I think it is pretty obvious the vintage market has been driven by dealers creating prices and consumers forget the difference, and ultimately creating investment opportunity.

I would agree with this.

How about this; a mere £20K and not even pre-CBS:  https://m.facebook.com/groups/477038984505702/permalink/522515286624738/?m_entstream_source=feed_mobile&paipv=0&eav=AfbE-50Aq3x3tTbF389DO0KlmRnGxdZnYQUxX5BYioeJIWgVZriYjjTq-h-A_rfvibE

only a few years ago I was struggling to sell my ‘65 P on here for £2.5K - admittedly it was boring old 3TSB......

1 hour ago, briansbrew said:

Exactly, we as consumers have no control over what the dealers deem to be market value for vintage Fenders and thus get caught up in the inflated prices.

Of course we have control. We can simply control ourselves and choose not buy (unlike me last week). 

• Haha 1