Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

Ahh I thought the auction was tomorrow.  The problem with these guys is you have to take the auction descriptions as 100% accurate as caveat emptor operates here.

You can’t really check out the pieces beyond a cursory glance. Personally I’ve seen some great stuff there and some junk.

5 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

Ahh I thought the auction was tomorrow.  The problem with these guys is you have to take the auction descriptions as 100% accurate as caveat emptor operates here.

You can’t really check out the pieces beyond a cursory glance. Personally I’ve seen some great stuff there and some junk.

Yeah, that’s the thing, there’s been lots of basses I would have bid on if there were the usual pictures of the neck stamp and pickup dates etc, I suppose it’s a chance you would have to take but I’m not willing to do that for quite a few thousand 

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

Yeah, that’s the thing, there’s been lots of basses I would have bid on if there were the usual pictures of the neck stamp and pickup dates etc, I suppose it’s a chance you would have to take but I’m not willing to do that for quite a few thousand 

It’s a little over 40 minutes from me and I’ve been a lot of times. Personally, most of the dealers I now use it to shift stock they can’t sell themselves, or want to turn around quickly. 

Instead of going there I’ve treated myself to a little beauty that will be arriving in a day or two…

• Like 1

The catalogues a few years ago used to have more photos, higher resolution with plenty of neck stamp, pots and pickups type shots.
Every time I have contacted GH in recent times, they have been happy to send me a comprehensive set of high resolution photos for any lot I have enquired about, although that has tended to be the more expensive lots, I’m not sure they provide that for lower budget kit.

Well, unfortunately I'm experiencing the downside of owning a vintage Fender... it's a lot of money tied up in a luxury plaything, so when real life intervenes (need building work doing on the family home), it's hard to otherwise justify struggling unnecessarily. 

I've had a year with my dream bass at least - the '65 P bass

Packing it up to send to Andy Baxter to deal with so I can avoid the ballache of trying to sell such a thing from home.

It's a sad day...

• Sad 7

Miles’tone , you’ve got to do what you have to do. And it can be a money pit owning a home. We have an older house and have done windows, doors , floors and roofs.
I suppose the furnace will be next.

I hope your fortunes will turn around and allow you some luxury. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

It is for me, maybe not quite so for yourself or others.

There are a lot of people living on earth, so in a situation when someone is sad - God sends a 0,000000000000000000001% sadness to everybody else, so beleave i was sad, too.

Edited by nilorius
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 08/03/2023 at 10:30, wateroftyne said:

A couple of beauties under the hammer at the Gardiner Houlgate guitar auction this morning.

A lovely-looking 66P 'burst refin went for £3000... subject to a +26% buyer's premium.

...and look how much it's popped up on Reverb for:

https://reverb.com/uk/item/66798899-fender-precision-bass-with-rosewood-fretboard-1966-sunburst-made-in-usa-ser-no-1xxxx6-includes-hard-case

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, miles'tone said:

He who dares wins Rodney. 

Don't suppose they sell watches at this auction house do they?

Could do with finding another one...

It’s a weird place. As you’d imagine, it’s a large, dusty and smelly old room filled with old furniture and old men (I don’t mean this negatively, I’m reasonably old too, it’s a statement of fact). 

I think that the sale room makes people go mad. Or they’re not considering value, and just want what they want.

It’s quite good fun to be in a room with loads of old gear. But you quickly realise how much of it is junk.

I think l the inflated prices for the last bass are either money laundering or a way to boost assets on a balance sheet. 

2 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Not sure if it’s money laundering just wishful thinking hoping someone takes a liking to it 

Perhaps, I’ve heard stories about using such deals to launder money. This is so out of the realms of reality it smack of such things.

I knew a plasterer who’d use his cash warning to buy second hand guitars (including some of mine). He’d keep them for a bit then sell them on if he didn’t like them. The principle is the same.

47 minutes ago, Bunion said:

I've seen this guy actually raising prices that had been for sale for years already... He is patiënt at the least. Sad that almost nothing is reasonably priced, as he has some great stuff in stock.

Personally I'd never buy anything from his shop, as his communication skills (read friendliness towards potential customers) are not his strongest talent..

Edited by SurroundedByManatees
  • Like 1