Why become a member? ×

15 hours ago, vates said:

Did anyone try the new shortscale bass from Ashdown?

Here's the link.

Apparently, it's in its early stages. The info on their site is lacking. Body wood unknown, no full specs, pictures show 20 frets instead of 19 etc. 

They had a few prototypes at the end of last year that they put on reverb, so there are are a few out there. I tried to buy a green one but due to a mix up missed out, waiting for them to come in, I think they were hoping to have them by now although not spoken to them about them for a while now.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Andermtc said:

They had a few prototypes at the end of last year that they put on reverb, so there are are a few out there. I tried to buy a green one but due to a mix up missed out, waiting for them to come in, I think they were hoping to have them by now although not spoken to them about them for a while now.

I've sent an info request to clarify some details. No reply so far. 

16 minutes ago, vates said:

purdy

I desperately need a JMJ.

don't know why, probably herd behavior...

You DO NEED a JMJ, certainly not herd behavior, they are truly excellent basses as everyone will concur ! 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Adee said:

You DO NEED a JMJ, certainly not herd behavior, they are truly excellent basses as everyone will concur ! 

Agree, def one of the best basses I’ve ever played, they just work so well (for me that is).

• Like 4

5 hours ago, vates said:

purdy

don't know why, probably herd behavior...

One of the best off the peg bass purchases I've ever made. It has transformed my outlook on what I like. I tried one out pre covid and again after the first lockdown, finally ordering one online in Feb 2021. Easily the best, non boutique shorty I've tried and currently my go to bass.

5 hours ago, Adee said:

You DO NEED a JMJ, certainly not herd behaviour, they are truly excellent basses as everyone will concur ! 

5 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Agree, def one of the best basses I’ve ever played, they just work so well (for me that is).

The herd is sometimes right and definitely in this case.

DO IT! DO IT!

• Like 2

The JMJ Mustang might be a fantastic bass, but I just can't live with the really poor upper frets access of all the Squier and Fender Mustang basses, so if I do get something Mustang like it will by far most likely be the considerably cheaper Harley Benton take on it, which beside considerably improved upper fret access also comes with a properly contoured body.

Though the next bass I foresee acquiring will be one of those new metallic green Squier Paranormal Rascal basses.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

23 minutes ago, scrumpymike said:

Never been a fan of distressed finishes though. Does any of the other Mustang variants have the same spec apart from the finish?

I’m afraid not. The Vintera comes close, but doesn’t have the custom Seymour Duncan pickup or the nitro finish.

7 hours ago, vates said:

38 minutes ago, scrumpymike said:

I'm heading (herding?) in the same direction...

Just a heads up, not enabling or anything (much ;)) :

• Like 2

Chiming in with the herd here, but the JMJ Mustangs really are very good instruments indeed. I almost bought one from GAK when I still lived in the UK, it felt and sounded like an excellent example of all the 1960s Mustangs I’d played previously and certainly better than the 70s ones I’d owned. Black finish wasn’t an option then otherwise I might have handed my bank card over!

Yes, the relicing isn’t to everyone’s taste (me included) and yes the lack of upper fret access will definitely be an issue for players who are used to 20+ frets on their basses, but if you’re in the market for a Mustang - vintage or otherwise - they’re well worth it imho 👍

• Like 3

1 hour ago, scrumpymike said:

Never been a fan of distressed finishes though. Does any of the other Mustang variants have the same spec apart from the finish?

Maybe this JMJ refinned in sherwood green metallic nitro would float your boat? Seems like it was modded with care and attention to detail https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275929984807?epid=15037201791&hash=item403eb56f27:g:smUAAOSwDzFkoG~S

• Like 5

2 hours ago, scrumpymike said:

The American Performer has same width neck as the JMJ, does have an additional Jazz pickup but the rest pretty similar.

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone!

I guess there’s no escape from a JMJ in my future. Ticks all the boxes: nut width and fb radius, rw board, better (wider, fuller) pickup, distressed nitro, daphne blue (!). 

Meanwhile, my go-to shortie is Gibson LPDC Tribute. Well modded.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, vates said:

Thanks everyone!

I guess there’s no escape from a JMJ in my future. Ticks all the boxes: nut width and fb radius, rw board, better (wider, fuller) pickup, distressed nitro, daphne blue (!). 

Meanwhile, my go-to shortie is Gibson LPDC Tribute. Well modded.

Get one and fill it with big pickups, you know you want to 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

NBD

Gibson Les Paul DC Tribute.

20230726_092140a.thumb.jpg.93b2e3cc7316cc9af5729fcaf99961ef.jpg

Drove to Southampton to pick this lovely bass up last Thursday from a real Gentleman Basschatter.

Sounds and plays wonderfully.

My deteriorating arthritis in my left hand has forced me to play short scale basses exclusively. But joyfully.

Edited by JohnDaBass
  • Like 16

30 minutes ago, JohnDaBass said:

NBD

Gibson Les Paul DC Tribute.

20230726_092140a.thumb.jpg.93b2e3cc7316cc9af5729fcaf99961ef.jpg

Drove to Southampton to pick this lovely bass up last Thursday from a real Gentleman Basschatter.

Sounds and plays wonderfully.

My deteriorating arthritis in my left hand has forced me to play short scale basses exclusively. But joyfully.

same colour as mine. A fab bit of kit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1