Why become a member? ×

Switching instruments on stage

Martin E

I want to switch instruments during a performance – in my case I want to start using my Stagg EUB for some numbers. Short of obviously pulling one plug out of the amp and inserting the other how would a professional do this? Some footswitch arrangement maybe? The EQ settings on the amp I could get away with for both bass and upright but the volume for each instrument would have been carefully set at the sound check. How does everyone else do it? Any tips appreciated – I like to keep things as simple and foolproof as possible. Thanks

I need to play in D on some tunes and dont want to detune my Gibson, so I use my Ric for "D" stuff and switch over. I dont do it very professionally at all, i turn volume to 0, pull the guitar lead out of the amp, put down old bass, pick up new one, plug lead into new bass, plug lead into amp, set EQ / gain etc to match the new bass (ive had to memorise it lol) and then 'orf ya go. professional? probably not :)

Guest subaudio

Hi

You could use a boss LS2, they have volume pots for each input, or go for something with eq like an EBS microbass.

If the levels were the same for each bass a simple A/B switch would do

Hope this helps

In line footpedal tuner usually will have a good mute. When gigging regularly I used to have a cheap Samson wireless so I'd just unplug the sender unit after muting, swap instruments, pop the unit back in and undo the mute. I'd iron out variabilities in signals at the instrument end in the sound check just by adjusting volume knobs at the instrument end then leave it all alone.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='431643' date='Mar 11 2009, 04:40 PM']I used a two-channel amp, .[/quote]

Is the right answer.

Remembering to set levels for each channel at the soundcheck.

Edited by Twigman

[quote name='Martin E' post='431635' date='Mar 11 2009, 04:34 PM']I want to switch instruments during a performance – in my case I want to start using my Stagg EUB for some numbers. Short of obviously pulling one plug out of the amp and inserting the other how would a professional do this? Some footswitch arrangement maybe? The EQ settings on the amp I could get away with for both bass and upright but the volume for each instrument would have been carefully set at the sound check. How does everyone else do it? Any tips appreciated – I like to keep things as simple and foolproof as possible. Thanks[/quote]

I had the exact same problem first time out with my Stagg. Our guitard (bless him) started on the next number before I'd even got the Stagg in it's stand! Now I have a Leem AB10 foot switch which reduces the time to seconds. It cost around £12 and I can post the link if you're interested. All I needed was a couple of cables made up by OBBM, a Basschat member and I was away.

I use a BEHRINGER AB 100 foot switch. It's an anoyingly piece of kit - changing the battery is terrible andit east them, the power cable falls out etc But it's cheap and avaiableand it but it does have two level controls and you can use it for one bass and two signal chans or amps as well.

There is nothing wrong with the cheap (and not so cheap) and cheerful options already suggested. I would be inclined to get an EBS Microbass II if funds allow. They do crop up from time to time or I am sure Mr Goodfellow will have an ex-dem one (just taken out of the box) he will let you have for a suitable discount.

The real professional way is to have a roadie have it all ready to go :)
I pull the plug but I use the leads with the Neutrik silent plug, which cut the signal when you pull them out of whatever they're plugged into. It won't sort out any EQ issues from switching basses, but it won't make a pop when you connect/disconnect.

[quote name='OldGit' post='431708' date='Mar 11 2009, 05:38 PM']I use a BEHRINGER AB 100 foot switch. It's an anoyingly piece of kit - changing the battery is terrible andit east them, the power cable falls out etc But it's cheap and avaiableand it but it does have two level controls and you can use it for one bass and two signal chans or amps as well.[/quote]
I hope you're not labouring under the misapprehension that one level control changes the level on one channel and the other on the other when you're using it for two inputs and one output. The AB100's level controls only work separately if you're using it with one input and two outputs, otherwise only one of them changes levels and it changes the levels on both channels. Also, mine's gone all hissy after using it with a power adaptor for some time.

My solution is a passive A-B box (my 2B or not 2B box) and set the levels on the instruments. There's not a lot of difference between the levels for my instruments (NS WAV-4 and Warwick Thumb) so it's no great problem.

I've used

1) two channel amp
2) Y connector with two wireless units
3) EBS Microbass II
4) Rack mixer

The rack mixer is probably best if you have basses that have different output levels and no other way to control input gain.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I’ve been playing for years with just my bass, a lead and battered old Trace Elliot and been blissfully unaware of this technology.

The Bassbone and Microbass look really nice bits of kit but a bit too expensive to be honest. I suspect the Boss LS2 is the kind of thing I need but you’ve all given me plenty of ideas. I was even unaware of the Neutrik silent plug which seems a great idea - so it shows how out of touch I’ve become!

[quote name='Martin E' post='432159' date='Mar 12 2009, 09:20 AM']Thanks everyone for your advice. I’ve been playing for years with just my bass, a lead and battered old Trace Elliot and been blissfully unaware of this technology.

The Bassbone and Microbass look really nice bits of kit but a bit too expensive to be honest. I suspect the Boss LS2 is the kind of thing I need but you’ve all given me plenty of ideas. I was even unaware of the Neutrik silent plug which seems a great idea - so it shows how out of touch I’ve become![/quote]
Perhaps keep an eye out on Ebay for a Boss LS-1 line switcher? Or rack mixers can be snagged for very reasonable money too depending on whether you need an effects loop or not.

[quote name='Martin E' post='431635' date='Mar 11 2009, 04:34 PM']I want to switch instruments during a performance – in my case I want to start using my Stagg EUB for some numbers. Short of obviously pulling one plug out of the amp and inserting the other how would a professional do this? Some footswitch arrangement maybe? The EQ settings on the amp I could get away with for both bass and upright but the volume for each instrument would have been carefully set at the sound check. How does everyone else do it? Any tips appreciated – I like to keep things as simple and foolproof as possible. Thanks[/quote]

How about one of these: [url="http://www.tonebone.com/re-bigshot-io.htm"]Radial Bigshot i/o[/url]

[url="http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/27947-radial-engineering-tonebone-bigshot-i-o-input-switcher.html"]Available here[/url]

I use a MXR microamp immediately after my tuner. I set both bass outputs on full and adjust the microamp to match the outputs of both basses - I switch it on when I'm using the less powerful bass. This way I have the same signal level going in to the rest of my signal chain so I don't have to muck around with gain level on pedals/amps etc.

Also, it's worth looking at your set to identify guitar changes and plan accordingly if you can, for smooth transitions.

I put together a simple A/B pedal with some switches and LED's from Maplins plus a £3.50 metal enclosure.
The one I use all the time at gigs now is an A/B + X/Y pedal I put together,
Stingray goes into A,
Jazz Bass goes into B, footswitch 1 chooses between A or B
Amp output is X, Tuner output is Y,
footswitch 2 toggles between them. When you want the amp to mute, press footswitch 2 to tuner.
Each input and output has its own LED so I know what options are chosen. Its simple but very handy.
I posted a few schematics recently if anyone wanted to put one together for themselves.

Edited by Al Heeley

Hi - haven't read the thread so apologies if I'm repeating something someone else said. There does seem to be an element of engineering a problem to fit the solution but in this instance, a simple, cheap and professional solution is back to basics...a good old fashioned cable with a kill switch.

Planet Waves do a decent one, with right angled connectors.

Cheers
AM

Edited by AM1