Why become a member? ×

No wonder he never got anywhere

Happy Jack

2 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

The inept fop interviewing him stopped me watching this past 30 seconds... or maybe I was entranced by your avatar as usual.

I think that's the much-missed Bob Birch who played Bass with Elton John for many years. Definitely a better bass player than Presenter (his style reminds me of a nice version of Beavis and Butthead). 

He had a terribly tragic end after many years of living in excruciating pain following a hit and run. I saw him live a few times: phenomenal player. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

44 minutes ago, oldslapper said:

Is his bass short scale? The neck looks er..short..😊 or was CS particularly large? 

He was 6' 3" or 1.93m so probably quite big.

Maybe Ric made a short scale bass back then ?

Dave

• Like 1

Despite the wisdom that curling the thumb of your fretting hand over the top of the fretboard is “bad technique”; I never cease to be amazed at how many highly competent, creative, successful and iconic bassists (and guitarists) I’ve seen do this to no apparent detriment to their abilities.😯

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Krysbass said:

Despite the wisdom that curling the thumb of your fretting hand over the top of the fretboard is “bad technique”; I never cease to be amazed at how many highly competent, creative, successful and iconic bassists (and guitarists) I’ve seen do this to no apparent detriment to their abilities.😯

I have never heard that wisdom, I always thought my technique was lacking because I didn't curl the thumb over.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

I have never heard that wisdom, I always thought my technique was lacking because I didn't curl the thumb over.

My thumb also stays behind the neck - so I think you may have a point there.😳

A gentleman never reveals where his thumb has been placed.

I do love it when iconic/influential musicians don’t have much clue about the gear they use or theory, (in the same detail) as perhaps less well known keeners. It appears less important somehow? 😂

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Krysbass said:

Is it bad technique? Louis Johnson often used his thumb for fretting. That's something about formal music tuition that bugs me i.e. there being a right way or a wrong way. Surely whatever works for the individual is good technique. I'm sure a lot of the way Hendrix played was 'wrong'  but who cares when it ended up being original?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Is it bad technique? Louis Johnson often used his thumb for fretting. That's something about formal music tuition that bugs me i.e. there being a right way or a wrong way. Surely whatever works for the individual is good technique. I'm sure a lot of the way Hendrix played was 'wrong'  but who cares when it ended up being original?

Agreed.  It should be whatever works is fine.

I just recall having a couple of lessons around 15 years ago as my playing had hit a plateau and straight away the tutor insisted I should have my thumb behind the fretboard - so I went away and spent a long time correcting that.

Now seeing CS play; I’m again questioning whether I needed to do that.

Technique “rights and wrongs” have been long argued here and elsewhere. 

When I was a tutor, I did introduce certain left and right hand positions for new starters. This was generally to help efficiency of movement and to hopefully avoid muscular or skeletal issues later on. However, it didn’t over bother me if someone had “unique” and entrenched hand or finger positioning, it was the students choice after all. If they were developing their musical palette, achieving the goals that motivated them and were enjoying playing the instrument, then fab!

CS’s thumb has probably been in all sorts of positions, and good on it, I say. I wouldn’t have told him where to shove it. 

I used to curl my thumb round the neck up until last year when i was getting cramp in my little and ring fingers. Googled it and found it could be because of bad technique. I now keep my thumb on back of neck and no problem since. Been playing for 44 yrs now so maybe its just age related that it makes a difference. 

It was only during long extended rehearsals or long gigs.

Fine now tho.............well i was before lock down so back to square one again when we get back to playing in bands again.

Dave

1 hour ago, Jus Lukin said:

I believe that is a custom build by someone other than Ric. I'm not going to Google it though as I need to move some stuff in the garden before it rains!

I'm really sad and googled it. Seems its an original 4001S from 1964. Its apparently been repaired and refurbished several times over the years tho which Chris believed helped him achieve his particular sound.

SAD i know but i'm still in Lock down up here and nothing better to do. :laugh1:

Dave 

• Haha 1