Why become a member? ×

Musicman Stingray - Such a love/hate relationship

Linus27

Stingray 5 Special seems to have cured my love late relationship with Stingrays. The new pickup/preamp combination is a great upgrade. I feel like it is going to complement my Precision really nicely…

Edited by IanA
  • Like 2

On 11/03/2009 at 11:12, obi 2 kenobi said:

On a 2EQ, boost bass to half or 3/4, keep treble low, play where a precision pick up would be placed and bob's your uncle.

This a spot on bit of advice..  my '77 2 eq is fantastic and sounds massive. I read a period hang tag or manual at some point that describes use of the early 2 EQ more or less just as @obi 2 kenobi describes. (They are boost/cut with no center indent) I generally play volume and bass on full and treble backed of to around 8  and the Stingray delivers like a boss.

Last night (this thread hanging in my mind) i set the Stingray as described above through my practice amp (Ampeg PT 20 and matching 112 cab) and i really enjoyed the difference, at least as practice level. The bass sounded smooth, even and controlled. A bit of an eye opener if i'm honest. Obviously a mids boost is being effected here with the boom and sizzle tempered, but a lovely at practice volume. Output volume was noticeably lower though.

Definitely goin to explore further at volume with the band.

And to also second @obi 2 kenobi comment on plucking hand position, just about every Stingray player i see plays over the pick up (naturally as it's a great thumb rest and is in my opinion a key factors to the Stingrays 'sound'). Play at the sweet-spot or closer to the neck and boy its thunderous.

• Like 2

I had a '90 Fretless Ray5. I regret selling it, but since have acquired 2 other (albeit fretted) alternatives;

Warwick Fortress Masterman 5

Ibanez EDC 715

Both have really good pickups- The Ibanez has the one from the ATK, plus it's got arguably better coil switching than even the SR5.

Both were SH, and collectively cost about half what a new SR5 would. 

Owned my SR5 HH for 5 years now, purchased early 2017 on a special order to EB. I have no issues cutting through a live situation..although at 71 now I find the weight of the bass at 10.2 lbs a tad heavy after a few hours gigging time onstage. Great bass with a lovely sound..extremely well made. Solid bass all round.

2087052720_EBMMSR5Stingray2.thumb.JPG.7705a7f854e9bf6ab2ca2224c030620a.JPG

• Like 4

Love mine, black, 3EQ. 

New band with a full diary, I'm thinking of a backup as it's my sole bass. Trouble is, I can't think of anything else I want!

They seem to be a bit of a bargain on the 2nd hand market as well. Awesome tones, 1st rate build quality.....perhaps they've just fallen out of favour at the moment? In the 90s, loads of bands had them.

I'm a pick player, new band is punk, new wave, two tone....and the 'Ray cuts it just fine. Loud, aggressive, treble....it's all I need!

• Like 2

Whoa I'm in deep shock.

I had EBMM SR 5, EBMM SUB5 and I currently have EBMM Sterling Classic 4.  And all of them gave me the same big problem - they do have THE PUNCH. They are LOUD. They are FAT. I had to fight them all the time - no matter how light I touch the strings I hear and feel EVERY note up in front, like a kick in the face.

Whey I play my P-bass I'm sitting great in the mix, giving the solid foundation to the band. With the Music Man bass... me and the drummer are the band, the guitars are lost. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I think I've said this at some point in the past - I love the sound of Stingrays but the only way that I can get the Stingray sound live is with a Sterling. I just can't get as much growl and punch with a regular Stingray unless it's a ceramic pickup SR5.

I bought this a few weeks ago - Sterling HH with matching headstock

315279196_1604504219955091_2615128301635087142_n.jpg

315367630_1604504213288425_7586199636823663063_n.jpg

314695233_1604505689954944_360412832707205485_n.jpg

Edited by Delberthot
  • Like 6

11 hours ago, Linus27 said:

The red fretless is absolutely gorgeous 😍

It was born as a fretted rosewood 'Ray but I had the Bass Gallery replace the board with fretless ebony with side lines.

I spent years looking for a fretless Ray but they are a) rare and crazy expensive and b) rosewood is not up to much as a wood for fretless to my taste. 

This one is absolutely killer...Sings and has 'that tone'

IMG_0343.jpeg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Cairobill said:

It was born as a fretted rosewood 'Ray but I had the Bass Gallery replace the board with fretless ebony with side lines.

I spent years looking for a fretless Ray but they are a) rare and crazy expensive and b) rosewood is not up to much as a wood for fretless to my taste. 

This one is absolutely killer...Sings and has 'that tone'

IMG_0343.jpeg

Ebony is absolutely gorgeous for fretless, my fretless Jazz has an ebony board and that sings beautifully.

This is my fretless Ray though which has a Pau Ferro board. Its lovely and does sing but also having an ebony Jazz, I wish it had an ebony board as well. I also have a fretless Precision which is a high gloss maple board and that also really sings.

F1.thumb.jpg.7d72021328ca8ebfe017d20540a46784.jpg

image1(3).thumb.jpeg.8b7566b44adbf4f5e9b989d641a20090.jpeg

Edited by Linus27
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Linus27 said:

Ebony is absolutely gorgeous for fretless, my fretless Jazz has an ebony board and that sings beautifully.

This is my fretless Ray though which has a Pau Ferro board. Its lovely and does sing but also having an ebony Jazz, I wish it had an ebony board as well. I also have a fretless Precision which is a high gloss maple board and that also really sings.

Ah yes of course, I forgot they went to Pau Ferro. That is much harder. If your fretless is a really nice bass, not a bad idea to get the fretboard swapped out for ebony. It was less expensive than I expected it to be. The results were fab as well and def scratched that itch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cairobill said:

Ah yes of course, I forgot they went to Pau Ferro. That is much harder. If your fretless is a really nice bass, not a bad idea to get the fretboard swapped out for ebony. It was less expensive than I expected it to be. The results were fab as well and def scratched that itch.

Excellent, thank you, I may just do that if I keep it. I can easily get into London for the Bass Gallery so I'll look into it. Thank you for the suggestion.

• Like 1