Why become a member? ×

Your Fave Basschat Bass Players!

[quote name='tombboy' post='428716' date='Mar 8 2009, 05:27 PM']Only knowingly seen Nick (D.O.T.:) briefly (but effortlessly), Chris (Angryman) and Muppet play. Steve is as solid as they come and Chris is VERY melodic. Nick just makes things look so easy!![/quote]

...must be the `peterborough effect' ! In fact, this area has quite a few players, including of course Colin Hodgkinson who is the man!

I've not heard you play but you have a great taste in gear! Chris is a great player; I've never heard Steve play but he is held in good regard - in fact, I meant to add Stu Clayton, Mike `tights' Brooks* and my good mate Slacker42 to my original list of fave Chatters.

* only joking about the hose mate!

To Marcus,

I see I made it into your chart at No 6 - if only your tea had been ready earlier I'd have been saved the embarassment of saying 'Ta very much'. You're right to mention the connection between myself and Donald 'Duck' Dunn as I overheard someone recently say I was a Mickey Mouse bass player.
Anyway you're no mean performer yourself - next time we get together you must demonstrate your thumbing and pull-off technique and, if we've got time, you could also show me your particular style of playing the bass.
I normally end missives of this type with kisses on the bottom but perhaps I'll save it till we meet again in the flesh
Cheers pal

[quote name='Galilee' post='428741' date='Mar 8 2009, 06:01 PM']Stuart Clayton for me, he's a scary player.[/quote]
+1, and good teacher.

I remember urb doing some crazy sh*t at the SEBB.

Bernie Goodfellow can play some too, but that EBS freak is a right show off :)

I am now slightly better than my 16 month old daughter after much practice.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='428434' date='Mar 8 2009, 10:26 AM']I've met a bunch of you - happily I've yet to meet a BCer I haven't got on with - been a pleasure. I know some of you quite well and have seen some of you play. I always try to take something from another players playing but it honestly wouldn't occur to me who's 'best' - and even if it did I wouldn't post it on here in case , by implication , the abscence of someone's name might suggest I don't rate them when it's far more likely I just forgot.[/quote]

GIVE ME BACK MY TENNER!!!!

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='428652' date='Mar 8 2009, 04:08 PM']On a slightly more frivolous note, I have seen some truly great Basschat virtuoso players at the Bass Bashes but [u]no-one[/u] comes close to the guy who 'slapped' his way through about 5 hours at the National Bash last March! Think my ears are still bleeding.. :)[/quote]
He's banned from BC too.

Apart from Bilbo and Urb, do we have any other tasty fretless players?

[quote name='johnnylager' post='428860' date='Mar 8 2009, 08:48 PM']+1, and good teacher.

I remember urb doing some crazy sh*t at the SEBB.[/quote]

Yup Mr Mike F got some crazy fingering sh*t going on. I would make some remark about his lady being very lucky but it may be not the most appropriate thing to say... so I shall refrain.

Ah. Oops. Ah well.

Props to Stuart Clayton - when I first saw him play, he made me look into a hell of a lot stuff that he has obviously taken inspiration from... Stu is class. Check him out. He has written the best slap bass book too - check it out.... and Stu - still waiting for that solo book!!

[quote name='johnnylager' post='428860' date='Mar 8 2009, 08:48 PM']Bernie Goodfellow can play some too, but that EBS freak is a right show off :)[/quote]

Moi? Shocking. (is that with or without the LED lightshow?)

Bernie is quite a mean player, especially on fretless. His guitar skills are well above par too... oh and his luthier skills... B*stard. Still can't use a computer though...

[quote name='johnnylager' post='428860' date='Mar 8 2009, 08:48 PM']I am now slightly better than my 16 month old daughter after much practice.[/quote]

Yeah, but breaking her fingers is against the rules...

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='neepheid' post='428477' date='Mar 8 2009, 11:31 AM']The only basschatter I've seen play while I've been sober is Ou7shined. And he's pretty damn good in my book.[/quote]Ha ha cheers man. The fact that I'm the [b]only[/b] BCer you've seen play has nowt to do with it. :)

Being geographically isolated form you guys we can realistically only see youz on t't web. I have only checked out a few BCer myspaces etc. and for me one player that stands out and mystifies me is Dood (I remember sending him a gushy PM to that effect when I 1st joined BC :blush:).

For fav BCer's bands in general (maybe another topic needed for this) I can still whistle a tune or 2 of MythSte's Myth of Unity and I've not listened to them in months so they must be doing something right there.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='428976' date='Mar 9 2009, 01:00 AM']Props to Stuart Clayton - when I first saw him play, he made me look into a hell of a lot stuff that he has obviously taken inspiration from... Stu is class. Check him out. He has written the best slap bass book too - check it out.... and Stu - still waiting for that solo book!![/quote]

Thanks dude, the solos book is coming along nicely...just very slowly!!!

Stu

[quote name='Stuart Clayton' post='429859' date='Mar 9 2009, 09:35 PM']Thanks dude, the solos book is coming along nicely...just very slowly!!!

Stu[/quote]

ooh is this book going to have the solo version of the simpsons theme tune in? if so hurry up with it please, i'm looking forwards to attempting to learn it and giving up after the first two bars.

[quote name='LWTAIT' post='429929' date='Mar 9 2009, 10:43 PM']ooh is this book going to have the solo version of the simpsons theme tune in? if so hurry up with it please, i'm looking forwards to attempting to learn it and giving up after the first two bars.[/quote]

That's the one, and I'm sure you'll do great with it!

Cheers
Stu

[quote name='Stuart Clayton' post='430011' date='Mar 9 2009, 11:46 PM']That's the one, and I'm sure you'll do great with it!

Cheers
Stu[/quote]

Ha ha - it should become a standard BC track... see how many people we can get in a room playing it perfectly in sync with each other...

Or maybe not.

[quote name='Alun' post='430854' date='Mar 10 2009, 06:48 PM']Thanks mate :)[/quote]

Haha i'd just like to say i like the avatar, really takes me back to a kid on holiday eating those weird ice cream thingies!

I must say i definetly agree about Dood being amazing on bass, after all not every bedroom bassist is in a band with the likes of Thomas Lang! (seriously good drummer btw for those of you that don't know) If i wasn't such a bad singer i might have sent them an email :rolleyes:

[quote name='ped' post='428918' date='Mar 8 2009, 10:29 PM']I never intended anyone to like my music apart from me[/quote]

We are our own biggest critics so yeah if you like it then others most definetly must do as well.

Edited by EdwardHimself

Hey everybod'

I'm touched! Thank you for the kind words! - I think all musicians like to get compliments about their playing, but to get noted by bass players I look up to is humbling!

Well, like a good few responses on the thread, I have only really seen you guys at Bass Bash meets and myspace/website pages.

I have so many to list who I think are awesome and i'd feel bad about missing any out!

ok, in no particular order.. Ped's videos are groove tastic! Also enjoyed BassJam and Ari jamming together at one bass bash.. I always have time for Dave OBBM.. good solid playin.. LukeWard.. niiiiiice.. Urb, Stu' Clayton, hmm.. there's a couple of guys I can visulaise, but can't remember their BC names.. sorry!! - who else! Rich, I like Steve's groovin with the Ken Smith basses.. and that beautiful Alembic that played like butter! Steve Lawson, Janik, I know there are so many more.. but to be honest, I pretty much learn something new from everyone I see.. thats not BS.. I'm really interested in seeing how different people tackle styles and genres. I find it fascinating!

As someone mentioned before, I think, it's not a [i]fair [/i]question, as there's no [i]fair [/i]answer, when talking about 'who's the best'..

It's just because nobody has heard most BC'ers playing, so, how the hell can you judge by a few players, that you've heard?

Oh, I'm saying this not because I'm feeling a better player than those mentioned, but this thread simply looks a bit cockamamie to me..

All the best,
Faith.

Edited by Faithless

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='428652' date='Mar 8 2009, 04:08 PM']On a slightly more frivolous note, I have seen some truly great Basschat virtuoso players at the Bass Bashes but [u]no-one[/u] comes close to the guy who 'slapped' his way through about 5 hours at the National Bash last March! Think my ears are still bleeding.. :)[/quote]

Ha ha ha!! yeah, I forgot about that one... completely oblivious to the fact that he was the aural equivalent of 5 hour dental surgery, minus anaesthetic.

Ahh, like your playin' Nick.. I seem to remember seeing you play at a guitar show, but didn't twig you were on BC until I met you at a bass bash!