Why become a member? ×

Lockdown Live Aid

Steve Browning

A bit churlish to criticise in view of the charitable intent, I suppose. But it was a bit average wasn’t it. Those chanteurses who insisted on playing piano shouldn’t have, particularly Gaga who was playing some weird chords. Bubble had a great player behind him. Elton’s a treasure isn’t he.

Just confirmed, for me, that Elton John and Macca should retire gracefully, McCartney in particular was awful IMO, Tom Jones was a bit dodgy as well, Jagger and the Rolling Stones were the highlight for me, enjoyed Billie Joe Armstrong and Stevie Wonder has still got it, although I'm not a fan.

Edited by PaulWarning
  • Like 2

Agree that Lady Gaga sang brilliantly, although those chords in ‘Smile’ were very doubtful, even in a jazz style arrangement! I even liked the song with Celine Dion, Andrea Bocelli and John Legend, as nobody went OTT, at least not like they often do.

Bits I wasn’t keen on - Elton (strewth...), Ellie Goulding , Billie Eilish and Eddie Vedder. Thought Billie Joe Armstrong was good, along with Taylor Swift and Shawn Mendes/Camila Cabello and Rag and Boneman.

For me the highlights were Stevie Wonder and Tom Jones - I found his performance riveting. The Stones were good, despite the err...technical challenges. Charlie’s face whilst playing / miming was superb. 

9 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

It was on BBC1 so I guess it could be on iPlayer. Agreed about Macca and Elton John - pretty awful in both cases.

Probably significant but the better performances appeared to be artists using studio quality gear as opposed to (apparently) just a phone. 

Agreed - Sheryl Crow did some songs from her home studio, sounded great.

15 minutes ago, Crawford13 said:

Was I the only person to be surprised to see a Mesa Boogie 400+ in the background behind Macca?

I never took him for a Mesa man?

Yeah, spotted that. Took me back to trying a bass out through one in a shop years ago. Happy days...........

37 minutes ago, Crawford13 said:

Was I the only person to be surprised to see a Mesa Boogie 400+ in the background behind Macca?

I never took him for a Mesa man?

He’s used Mesa stuff for years, amps and cabs I believe. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1