Why become a member? ×

Sore shoulder

niceguyhomer

I've been suffering with my (strap) shoulder for quite a long time now and I fear the aches and pains are getting worse and starting to creep down my arm. It's quite debilitating - I daren't lift anything too heavy and have difficulty raising my outstretched arm any higher than parallel to ground. Usually when I'm playing in my den, I play my very light Spector Reop and it's not too bad but recently, I upgraded the preamp in my - lets be honest, heavy LX5 and I've been playing that constantly which is probably why my shoulder is fooked.

Anyone else have a sore shoulder? Does it go away? Do I need to get shut of my LX5?

yeah, pop to the docs to get some anti-inflams (or if you know of a good local physio, see them)

- sounds like you've got some 'impingment' or irritation to the joint at the end of the collar bone (won't bother you with the technical name!)

- as you've said, probably due to using the heavier LX (you're shoulder canna take it captain!).

- looks like the ReBop will getting another run out. ;)

I think half the problems with my neck and shoulders is from playing heavy basses, mostly a 77 Fender Precision. We used to practise 3 times a week for say 8 hours a day. Most of the time I would be standing or leaning against one of those bar stools. Then gigs at the weekend. Plus the lugging of gear around. I'm sure its not been good for me.

I've recently had a searing pain in my right elbow which came on as the reult of painting a wall. Very difficult to raise the arm above horizontal and painful to twist or indeed use scissors or cutters. I tthough it would go away but it didn't so as a last resort I went to the docs and he diagnosed tennis elbow. I told him that I didn't play tennis but he just ignored me gave me a steroid injection in the part of the elbow where all the tendons meet. It's pretty well fixed it now.

Go and consult your doc Alan.

Al,

1) Go see your osteopath. Mine did wonders when I had quite debilitating hip pain.

2) Buy yourself an 8lb Sadowsky! I'd personally suggest this beaut: [url="http://www.sadowsky.com/stock/view/5135.html"]http://www.sadowsky.com/stock/view/5135.html[/url]

Joe.

Edited by Toasted

I tried one of the Slider straps a few years back, when I was having back problems. It didn't work at all for me. It took the strain off the shoulder, yes... but it changed the playing position completely, forcing the bass further round my body so that my fretting hand was having to reach almost behind my shoulder line.

Doc/osteo/chiro/whatever, immediately. And the best of luck to ya. ;)

[quote name='joe_bass' post='412830' date='Feb 18 2009, 10:54 AM']Go see a physio. They should send you away with some decent stretches as well.[/quote]

absolutely.

they should also be able to address any muscle imbalances/biomechanical dysfunction, & give you appropriate exercises etc.

Karl

I always use a Comfort Strapp or the Brooklyn equivalent - I think I'll go and see my osteopath first and see what happens. Thanks to everyone for their kind suggestions - I particularly liked Joe's but the only trouble is, if I follow his advice and buy that Sadowsky, I won't be able to afford an osteopath. :P

...oh fook, don't laugh it hurts.. ;)

Someone gave me some ibuprofen gel called 'Fenbid'.

I'd never have paid for it in a thousand years , not because I'm a tight wad................rephrase.....not JUST because I'm a tightwad but because I have zero faith in such things.

Anyway - it works - reduces swelling and pain without necking tablets.

I often find myself stiff on a morning.......................

OK - enough Hawtreyesque guffawing - esp my neck. I also have a long term prob with my right ankle. Can barely walk on it first thing. This Fenbid gear sorts it out no bother.
I think - not sure at all - it may only be available on prescription or , like many things , from the nearest pharmacy to your Greek or Spanish holiday hotel for a third of the cost.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='412801' date='Feb 18 2009, 10:22 AM']I'm not a fan of doctors - well mine anyway and I'll only take pills as a very last resort. I see an osteopath occasionally for my dodgy hip and maybe he could help I dunno.

I just wonder if I'm gonna have this permanently if I play a heavy bass.[/quote]
Not wishing to worry you but I ended up getting my shoulder replaced 3 years ago and it started that way - mind I already had arthritis eating away at bits. That was after using my Wal for 20 years, which is not the lightest of basses, but IMO by no means the heaviest either.

I've mentioned it elsewhere but before the op I had ended up using a [url="http://www.slider-straps.com/index.html"]Slider Strap[/url] to get through a night. I have a spare still in one of my cases. If you want to try one PM me

Al

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='413006' date='Feb 18 2009, 01:15 PM']Try one of these - [url="http://www.slider-straps.com/"]http://www.slider-straps.com/[/url][/quote]
beat me to it

[quote name='Rich' post='413059' date='Feb 18 2009, 01:56 PM']I tried one of the Slider straps a few years back, when I was having back problems. It didn't work at all for me. It took the strain off the shoulder, yes... but it changed the playing position completely, forcing the bass further round my body so that my fretting hand was having to reach almost behind my shoulder line.

Doc/osteo/chiro/whatever, immediately. And the best of luck to ya. ;)[/quote]
+1 to that but it definitely helped in the short term - that and enduring the p1ss taking "where's your parachute?" "You've forgotten the baby" etc

Thanks for the offer Al, I might take you up on that one day. My dodgy hip - caused by playing squash for 25 years is arthritic so I guess it's possible my shoulder may be on its way too.

Time to make an appointment with the doc / osteopath and leave the Euro in its case for a while. I don't want to sell it but I don't want it to gather dust either.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='412801' date='Feb 18 2009, 10:22 AM']I'm not a fan of doctors - well mine anyway and I'll only take pills as a very last resort. I see an osteopath occasionally for my dodgy hip and maybe he could help I dunno.

I just wonder if I'm gonna have this permanently if I play a heavy bass.[/quote]

Get it checked. I have nasty problems with both arms and shoulders and it's because (amongst other things) I have a prolapsed disc in my neck which is causing severe impingement of the nerve roots. I may be looking at surgery later this year (I'm hoping not!). If yours is nothing, great, but if it's something you need to find out sooner rather than later. I now have permanently reduced strength, reflex and touch response in my right arm and left leg (to mention just a few areas) from years of nerve irritation/impingement problems which chiros, osteopaths and physios were unable to fix. This is the reason I just sold my Alembic, which was a real wrench.

Edited by 4000