Why become a member? ×

Best bass for slap

Snakey Lane

[quote name='mathewsanchez' post='409454' date='Feb 14 2009, 03:04 PM']Some sort of Jazz Bass ...possibly Jap Fender or Squier.[/quote]

Squire do a vintage modified jazz that has a nice slap tone, or they also do a delux active again very good. There is also the little cort that has been built for slap. Rock basses are ok and the yammys are ok too. I would look in the 2nd hand market and go for an active bass.

[quote name='Gwilym' post='409674' date='Feb 14 2009, 09:07 PM']you can slap on any bass - so it boils down to what kind of tone you like. i would suggest just getting a decent bass for your money, and then worry about the technique[/quote]
+1 on that. You can get a decent slap sound out of a precision if you spend a bit of time adjusting your tone controls and working on your technique. As for me I'd go for a Jazz or decent J clone. It's the bass slap was invented on (alledgedly) and for three hundred you could probably get a decent copy and have some change for better pickups, hardware or at the least new strings and a good set up.

Damn - read the headline of this post and was about to say an NYC Spector or Sadowsky.

Unfortunately both are going to 5 times your budget ;)

With £300 you're in decent Fender Jazz territory (not USA but certainly Mex & Jap) - that would give you a great standard bass with easy re-sale value if you want to go for something more expensive later :P

If you have the feel for slap you can play it on a plank, i dont think anyone can show you how to be a slap bass player just as no bass can be specific to the art. Good slap players either have it or they dont.(No instant slap basses). You have to be a loose funky type of person to play it,i always thought it was a bit like drumming,but your snares,toms and high hats have notes. I love slap and i was playing it in my head years befor i even picked up a bass guitar,the licks i play on my bass have always been my signature tune as i am walking along the street.

[quote name='YouMa' post='409867' date='Feb 15 2009, 04:05 AM']If you have the feel for slap you can play it on a plank, i dont think anyone can show you how to be a slap bass player just as no bass can be specific to the art. Good slap players either have it or they dont.(No instant slap basses). You have to be a loose funky type of person to play it,i always thought it was a bit like drumming,but your snares,toms and high hats have notes. I love slap and i was playing it in my head years befor i even picked up a bass guitar,the licks i play on my bass have always been my signature tune as i am walking along the street.[/quote]

Thanks for everyone's comments. I take the point that it comes down to technique and feel rather than a specific bass. But the suggestions on what to look for are really helpful, too.

Basically, anything will slap within reason. Just avoid cheaper Precision copies (too much bang when you slap with the split coil pickup) and basses with a pickup right against the base of the neck (eg., Epiphone EB's and violin basses). Jazz basses & instruments with soapbars are good for slap. Active ciruitry is preferable but not neccessary. Also, make sure you have clean zingy strings & more treble than bass set on your amp. Slap heaven!

Thinking about your price range, try the new Ibanez SR300. [url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=75470"]http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=75470[/url]

Rich.

I agree with everything said above, basically a nice Jazz or MM style bass seem to be favourites, active basses seem to be preferred although I like a passive bass with an EQ pedal. Also very important is the setup, you want a nice low action, I find people that predominantly play slap like the action so low that you get quite a lot of fret buzz unless you play very lightly, and they also tend to prefer light gauge strings often Stainless Steel for a really bright tone. So my advice would be what ever bass you buy budget for a new set of strings and a decent setup it will make all the difference.

Dave.

[quote name='Snakey Lane' post='409896' date='Feb 15 2009, 09:18 AM']Thanks for everyone's comments. I take the point that it comes down to technique and feel rather than a specific bass. But the suggestions on what to look for are really helpful, too.[/quote]

my first reply was a bit terse - and I'd had a few beers at the time - come on Wales!!! ;)

So, what I'd look for in a bass:

i) It's got to be able to be set up with a decent low action - (although I'd argue the case for that whatever style you wanted to play).
ii) IMO, 21 frets rather than 24. I find with 24, there is less space between the neck pick-up and the end of the finger board. Also the (slapping) arm gets pushed back toward the bridge because of the longer finger board, which I think (especially if you're learning slap) might be a bit of a hinderance.
iii) And strings that are medium/light gauge.
iv) Maple neck and finger board.
v) probably worth starting of on a 4 stringer too.

You're tastes might differ of course, but thats my 2 pennies worth. Good luck!

G

[quote name='Randy_Marsh' post='409866' date='Feb 15 2009, 03:53 AM']for £300? are you kidding? if you can find one, link me! id be well up for buying one[/quote]

I've seen a few go on ebay last year for under £350, one went for £320. Remember they could be bought new around 2002 (IIRC) for £530. I paid £580 for mine and as it's got a few knocks i'd expect it to fetch no more than £350 second hand
Remember the new Rockbasses look gorgeous and the $$ Corvettes go for around £500

Keep an eye out on the bay. I saw the passive fretless version go for just over £300 as well and that was mint

[quote]I've seen a few go on ebay last year for under £350, one went for £320. Remember they could be bought new around 2002 (IIRC) for £530. I paid £580 for mine and as it's got a few knocks i'd expect it to fetch no more than £350 second hand
Remember the new Rockbasses look gorgeous and the $$ Corvettes go for around £500

Keep an eye out on the bay. I saw the passive fretless version go for just over £300 as well and that was mint[/quote]

sh*t the bed! i want a warwick corvette ash badly! cheers for the advice man, if see one PM me for sure

Basically anything with a decent set of jazz or humbucker pups. generally precisions sound a little too chunky with not enough mids or highs for a decent slap that cuts through the mix. An active will give your tone a little more clarity in most cases. See if you can score a secondhand musicman sub or a nice mexican or japanese jazz, If im right there was a modded mim jazz in the for sale thread on this site.

I think its actually in the strings -I got a jazz that had 40-95s, and it slapped much better than my ray with 40-105s. Then I replaced the strings on the Ray and made them the same as the jazz to make life easier for myself and foudn that the Ray it slapped just as well.