Why become a member? ×

How do you think about Fender?

big cat

[quote name='bumfrog' post='412081' date='Feb 17 2009, 03:37 PM']imho fenders are very over-rated and overpriced. Some nice ones kicking about, but like gibson, they trade on their name and have done for a long time. Especially with the recent price hikes, it beggers belief to how much they charge for some of their standard instruments. There's so many better made and better to play instruments out there, but I suppose in a world where we are consumed by status, image and general sheep like mentalities, people will still champion them as the best of the best.

Just not the case anymore imho.[/quote]

I would have liked to have bought a non-fender, and have no allegiances to the brand. At the time of purchase though, I genuinely couldn't find another bass that played so well for the money. That's after looking at the Bass Cellar, The Gallery, GAK, Denmark Street and the American Guitar Centre - all of which have a pretty large stock of basses.

For you, they're not worth it, but I think it's unfair to suggest they purely trade off the name. If it is just clever branding, they've got a lot of top musicians fooled!

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='412132' date='Feb 17 2009, 04:20 PM']I would have liked to have bought a non-fender, and have no allegiances to the brand. At the time of purchase though, I genuinely couldn't find another bass that played so well for the money. That's after looking at the Bass Cellar, The Gallery, GAK, Denmark Street and the American Guitar Centre - all of which have a pretty large stock of basses.[/quote]

Tis fair enough, you tried and you bought the best bass you could find at the time, regardless of what it said on the headstock.

I'd be exactly the same. Just recently a lot of the fenders I've tried, both guitars and basses have been incredibly average. However, I have a friend with a mexican fender that plays a lot better then most of the american ones I've played. I keep trying to get him to sell it to me, but he won't :P

If you spend long enough hanging around in a music shop though, you quickly see how brainwashed people have become towards fender and gibson, and when you try and say, hey try this, it maybe made in korea but it beats the pants of the fender, quite often you'll get the dismissive reaction simply because it doesn't say fender on the headstock. I think that's the bit I'm more stressing the point about.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='412132' date='Feb 17 2009, 04:20 PM']For you, they're not worth it, but I think it's unfair to suggest they purely trade off the name. If it is just clever branding, they've got a lot of top musicians fooled![/quote]

It's more that they are charging a premium for the name, which imho just isn't justified. I know it happens in most things, but it's when people equate the extra money to something extra that just isn't there, I can't fathom it!

edit - I think it's important to point out at this point, that being Yorkshire, I demand value for money goddamit ;)

Edited by bumfrog

[quote name='gareth' post='412191' date='Feb 17 2009, 04:52 PM']There must be some reason for this?[/quote]

some of it will be totally down to image live on stage, some of it down to sponsorship deals, and some of it because they just love em I guess.

Plus, who wants to take their shiny sadowsky out gigging? ;)

[quote name='gareth' post='412191' date='Feb 17 2009, 04:52 PM']....But despite the superior build quality, sound and value for money of many non-Fenders - Sadowsky, Lakland, Wal, Sei, etc - what do pro-bass players actually use - when you see a live band, go to a festival, watch MTV, what are the bass players using - by and large its Fender. There must be some reason for this?....[/quote]
Fenders are cheap, plentiful, can be easily replaced and bounce when your roady drops them. If I was on a tour with dozens of people milling around back stage I wouldn't take my Wal!

[quote name='chris_b' post='412239' date='Feb 17 2009, 05:20 PM']Fenders are cheap, plentiful, can be easily replaced and bounce when your roady drops them. If I was on a tour with dozens of people milling around back stage I wouldn't take my Wal![/quote]
Fender Jazz and Precisions are generally accepted as an industry standard and have been for a loooong time.

[quote name='kroogie' post='411694' date='Feb 17 2009, 08:23 AM']I`ve owned a lot of high-end basses like: Modulus, Fodera, Ibanez GWB, Warwick.... but I always come back to Fender. The sound of a passive Fender Jazzbass is more usable in most settings, in contrary to the basses metioned. The best thing with a good fender is that: What you put in you get out!! Sound is shaped with your fingers, and in my opinion Fenders are much more dynamic than most of the active basses I`ve owned. Hot preamps, kills the dynamics!!
If you like dynamics-buy a Fender, if you like zzziiing- buy an high end bass![/quote]

Oh, how true is that. There is sooooo much tone from [b]how[/b][i][/i] you play a fender. Its not just about plugging a playing.

[quote name='basswesty' post='412724' date='Feb 18 2009, 09:11 AM']Oh, how true is that. There is sooooo much tone from [b]how[/b][i][/i] you play a fender. Its not just about plugging a playing.[/quote]
Are you seriously suggesting that Fenders are the only passive jazz/precision type designs that are capable of being dynamic?

i think the player make the tone and the dynamics and the bass must comfort him of playing it ... When it is pluged an instrument above a certain price say 1000euros pounds is a good instrument...Nobody knows how good basses are fenders or how comfy they are till it tries all of them.. Maybe is a bass outthere that suites better to your hands..

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='412764' date='Feb 18 2009, 09:53 AM']Are you seriously suggesting that Fenders are the only passive jazz/precision type designs that are capable of being dynamic?[/quote]

I am merely stating my opinion about fenders as that is what the thread is about. I also have a passive Yamaha (p/j pups) capable of the same 'dynamics' but we're not discussing Yamaha basses are we???

I was just agreeing with the previous post comparing Fenders to other makes. I personally get a lot of tone from where and how I play. I have owned many high end basses including custom builds and they sound great but I prefer the sound of passive pick ups.

Maybe you should take the plunge and buy one! ;)

Not much annoys me, but when someone says that "Fender is my guitar, they're the best thing I've ever played, and ever will", yet they have never bothered to play any other bass (or guitars alike), it really gets on my nut!

If someone genuinly loves Fender for what it is, and have played many other instruments and settled on Fender as their comfortable instrument, then I think it's great because Fender are impacting people in a way that instruments are meant to.

Edited by mouthman

[quote name='mouthman' post='413672' date='Feb 18 2009, 10:16 PM']Not much annoys me, but when someone says that "Fender is my guitar, they're the best thing I've ever played, and ever will", yet they have never bothered to play any other bass (or guitars alike), it really gets on my nut!

If someone genuinly loves Fender for what it is, and have played many other instruments and settled on Fender as their comfortable instrument, then I think it's great because Fender are impacting people in a way that instruments are meant to.[/quote]

Well, bar custom builds, I've played loads. There's a great deal that are better built, or not, and a great deal that feel as good, or not. But Fender (and only Precisions, at that...) are my comfort zone. I don't have to think about the instrument, but about the music. That's where you should be aiming at, playing something you're so happy with that you can get on with the making of the music.

[quote name='mouthman' post='413672' date='Feb 18 2009, 10:16 PM']Not much annoys me, but when someone says that "Fender is my guitar, they're the best thing I've ever played, and ever will", yet they have never bothered to play any other bass (or guitars alike), it really gets on my nut!

If someone genuinly loves Fender for what it is, and have played many other instruments and settled on Fender as their comfortable instrument, then I think it's great because Fender are impacting people in a way that instruments are meant to.[/quote]

Take your point, Mouthman, but I bet you're not a lefty!

I have played Fenders (J & P) for several years and personally I love them. The thing that really annoys me is visiting music shops only to find a tiny number of lefthanded basses (and then usually only cheap copies) Getting to play a wide range of different makes is a real challenge for us lefties.

[quote name='Telebass' post='413936' date='Feb 19 2009, 10:04 AM']But Fender (and only Precisions, at that...) are my comfort zone. I don't have to think about the instrument, but about the music. That's where you should be aiming at, playing something you're so happy with that you can get on with the making of the music.[/quote]

[quote name='Mickeyboro' post='413942' date='Feb 19 2009, 10:11 AM']I think you've hit the nail on the head there Den.

One pickup, one tone, four strings, the music and you. Simple![/quote]

Absolutely right, but who needs a tone control? ;) :P

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='basswesty' post='413451' date='Feb 18 2009, 06:12 PM']I have owned many high end basses including custom builds and they sound great but I prefer the sound of passive pick ups.[/quote]

What almost everyone forgets is that there is no law against getting a high-end custom bass which is totally passive! But judging by all that I've seen bar mine you'd think passive electronics were illegal on custom basses, let along thru-neck fives like mine - I should be locked up...

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='425201' date='Mar 4 2009, 03:51 PM']What almost everyone forgets is that there is no law against getting a high-end custom bass which is totally passive! But judging by all that I've seen bar mine you'd think passive electronics were illegal on custom basses, let along thru-neck fives like mine - I should be locked up...

Alex[/quote]

You're not alone. I can't believe a lot of you crazies on here put batteries in a musical instrument! What the f*** is all that about? What happens when they run out? Do you have to carry spares or something?

What do the batteries do anyway? You've got knobs to twiddle on the amp, which is connected to a f***-off big battery (the national grid).

f***'s me off when I pick up a nice looking bass only to noitice a flip top battery compartment on the back like some kind of toy.

You people who use these so-called "active" basses should be on some kind of register. Or burnt at the stake.

Saw a bloke with batteries in his fender the other day. Batteries - in a fender! I couldn't believe it. He'll be first to get a good shoeing come the revolution.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='425222' date='Mar 4 2009, 04:05 PM']You're not alone. I can't believe a lot of you crazies on here put batteries in a musical instrument! What the f*** is all that about? What happens when they run out? Do you have to carry spares or something?

What do the batteries do anyway? You've got knobs to twiddle on the amp, which is connected to a f***-off big battery (the national grid).

f***'s me off when I pick up a nice looking bass only to noitice a flip top battery compartment on the back like some kind of toy.

You people who use these so-called "active" basses should be on some kind of register. Or burnt at the stake.

Saw a bloke with batteries in his fender the other day. Batteries - in a fender! I couldn't believe it. He'll be first to get a good shoeing come the revolution.[/quote]

I don't consider battery maintenance to be a problem. I always check mine after I have polished my bass.

Fender are definitely great basses, but I'm more set on other types of basses with very large neck radiuses with a slim neck profile and ramps!

Fender aren't the be all and end all of bass like some people make them out to be, though a great brand. Have to give them credit for inventing the electric bass, that was a good shout =]

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='402778' date='Feb 7 2009, 01:21 PM']The 3 nicest basses I have ever played are Fenders.

I don't want to look like a space man when I'm playing so I hate all this carbon fibre sh*t. I also refuse to put batteries in a bass guitar. Batteries are for TV remotes and my girlfriends rampant rabbit. I also don't want to sound like a guitar. Just a dull thump suits me.

Quirky basses f*** me off. The people who play quirky basses often have quirky hair. And probably wear trainers with a suit, just to look quirky. Just because you've got no personality and your parents ignored you, don't try and make up for it with a silly quirky guitar.

Spikey metal basses. What a load of sh*t. Everyone knows the mettallers at school were the geeks who played dungeons and dragons. Having said that, a lot of those goth birds take it up the arse, so maybe their on to something? Still, get a hair cut, take of your cape and get a f***ing job that doesn't involve breeding snakes or working in the IT department.

I genuinely couldn't give a f*** what its says on the headstock of a bass, I just think Fender got it right. Other manufacturers (like those c**ts at Warwick) seem to think "how can we make a design different from a fender?" as opposed to "How can we design a great bass?".

I played a Burns the other day. That was alright. Different but still comfy and doesn't make you look like a c***. Although I do look (and act) like a c*** naturally.

Fender copies. Fair enough. Don't see the point though really. I know Vintange do some decent cheaper copies. Wouldn't get one of these expensive ones though. Most of them take batteries. f***ing hate batteries. I've stopped using pedals because of them.[/quote]Hey, BBC.. been at the Shiraz at lunchtime? :rolleyes:
(Nearly midnight, been on the Black Stump :) )

• 1 year later...

[quote name='YouMa' post='402335' date='Feb 6 2009, 09:16 PM']Fender are a cultural icon,they are expensive for what they are. But so are harley davidsons.[/quote]
[b][size=3]I would compare them more to the original Volkswagon Beetles - didn't change or improve despite everybody around them building better items. Stuck with drum brakes and the engine in the boot they did not evolve. Same with Fenders - same crap electronics and wood from the 50s till the modern day, only recently decided to install active p/ups where others have used these since the 80s. Supposedly market leaders - basically selling square wheels!! Quality Control is merely a concept rather than reality!

Some might argue that Fenders are like Porsche - I don't think this is the case as Porsche improved over the years.

I think you may have guessed that I'm not a fan![/size]!![/b]