Why become a member? ×

How do you think about Fender?

big cat

The thing that draws me to Warwicks et al is the choice of exotic dark hardwoods (bubinga/wenge/ovangkol/ebony).

If Fender, for example, made a US P fretless with those woods I'd happily spend a chunk of cash on one. If i'm gonna drop a wedge on a bass I want to see some nice wood action! :P ;)

Perhaps Fender should do an exotic wood range...

Edited by rjb

[quote name='rjb' post='407292' date='Feb 12 2009, 08:49 AM']The thing that draws me to Warwicks et al is the choice of exotic dark hardwoods (bubinga/wenge/ovangkol/ebony).

If Fender, for example, made a US P fretless with those woods I'd happily spend a chunk of cash on one. If i'm gonna drop a wedge on a bass I want to see some nice wood action! :P ;)

Perhaps Fender should do an exotic wood range...[/quote]

I think that pretty much sums up my argument too. If a bass is going to be expensive, it shouldn't just sound good and be a joy to play - it should look good and should look worth the money you paid for it - or better still, look worth [i]more[/i] than the money you paid for it.

Unfortunately, to my mind at least, Fender basses only have that name on the headstock to proclaim their heritage - however good they are beneath the skin, they are a victim of their own success and are much too copied.

Build quality, exotic woods and laminated thru-necks is where it's at for me; the brand name is secondary. - But this debate proves what a highly individual thing our choice of bass really is.

[quote name='Krysbass' post='407517' date='Feb 12 2009, 12:41 PM']I think that pretty much sums up my argument too. If a bass is going to be expensive, it shouldn't just sound good and be a joy to play - it should look good and should look worth the money you paid for it - or better still, look worth [i]more[/i] than the money you paid for it.

Unfortunately, to my mind at least, Fender basses only have that name on the headstock to proclaim their heritage - however good they are beneath the skin, they are a victim of their own success and are much too copied.

Build quality, exotic woods and laminated thru-necks is where it's at for me; the brand name is secondary. - But this debate proves what a highly individual thing our choice of bass really is.[/quote]

Yes, totaly individual as you say. For me exotic woods and laminated thru-necks is probably my biggest nightmare and as far removed from what a bass should be. Add active electronics and lots of dials and I am in a living hell. For me, the look of a 51 Precision, a 70's Jazz or a late 50's precision and I go googly eyed and fall in love with the looks. The block inlays, the bland pastal colours, the 2 or three dials. It's simplicity in its perfect form.

For me it is a simple case of each to their own. I have nothing against them, have owned several, but ultimately found them to be solid and the sound to be fine. Personally I prefer to have my 'own' sound rather than a P or a J, but they still sound good to my ears. Just not terribly comfortable to play and they seem extremely expensive for what they are when looked at in the cold light of day.

[quote name='Krysbass' post='407517' date='Feb 12 2009, 12:41 PM']....If a bass is going to be expensive, it shouldn't just sound good and be a joy to play - it should look good....[/quote]
True, but while I love the american walnut on my Wal and the quilted maple on my Lakland I think that the best finish on a bass is the old three tone sunburst.

[quote name='Gothicontheloose' post='407043' date='Feb 11 2009, 10:20 PM']Imo you can't play metal with Fender's, and some hard rock isn't great either -.- That's personal opinion but still...[/quote]

Based on what?

Steve Harris,Ian Hill,Frank Bello,Geezer Butler,Alex Webster....Pretty much all of their best work has been done on a Fender...Pretty much all good 4 string work is done on Fender in the Studio.

Warwick are a fly by night company that have a small habit of borrowing designs and instruments....compared to Fender,yes they do a good job,but Fender are still the producers main choice in most studio work in the 'Big' cities...Nashville,NY,LA,Memphis,Chicago...

Please tell me you are under 25.

[quote name='Gothicontheloose' post='407043' date='Feb 11 2009, 10:20 PM']Well... I deffinitly think they are overrated... Not only do they charge to much for what they are... They are verry limited to what they can imo...

I mean, they are great jazz/blues basses... No doubt! But that's all.... Imo you can't play metal with Fender's, and some hard rock isn't great either -.- That's personal opinion but still...
While Washburn and Warwick... They make basses that are great for metal, rock and still able to play jazz/blues ! ;)

Fender's like Gibson... Fanboy madness... Great stuff... But way overpriced[/quote]

Also, apart from confirming you are under 25 (bets on you are), tell me, have you actually played Fenders in these hard rock/metal bands and then concluded they are not suitable? If so, then thats cool. If not, well......

My theory is that your style of music (no criticism of it) probably favours Warwicks/Dean from an image point of view.

[quote name='Krysbass' post='407517' date='Feb 12 2009, 12:41 PM']If a bass is going to be expensive, it shouldn't just sound good and be a joy to play - it should look good and should look worth the money you paid for it - or better still, look worth [i]more[/i] than the money you paid for it.[/quote]

A pefect description of my Fenders. Thank you. ;)

[quote name='Gothicontheloose' post='407043' date='Feb 11 2009, 10:20 PM']you can't play metal with Fender's, and some hard rock isn't great either -.- That's personal opinion but still...[/quote]

Well, you may hold that opinion but I'd say that your opinion is not at all backed up by the facts. And that's my opinion.

[quote name='rjb' post='407292' date='Feb 12 2009, 08:49 AM']The thing that draws me to Warwicks et al is the choice of exotic dark hardwoods (bubinga/wenge/ovangkol/ebony).

Perhaps Fender should do an exotic wood range...[/quote]

I would dislike 'wood action' even if it was on a Fender.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='407910' date='Feb 12 2009, 07:05 PM']Is that why yours are all blue Wayne? :P[/quote]

They aren't all blue, I got the Fender because I liked the colour and the Squier in blue because they didn't have it in red ;) the Yahama I didn't have a choice but will give a refin when I've finished my other projects, my SX is sunburst but that will be changing when I get the bottle to sand it down, my Stinkray was sunburst and is half the way to becoming green, my Encore is black and my old black Fender body is now yellow.

Jesus f***ing Christ I really don't need anymore basses do I?

I`ve owned a lot of high-end basses like: Modulus, Fodera, Ibanez GWB, Warwick.... but I always come back to Fender. The sound of a passive Fender Jazzbass is more usable in most settings, in contrary to the basses metioned. The best thing with a good fender is that: What you put in you get out!! Sound is shaped with your fingers, and in my opinion Fenders are much more dynamic than most of the active basses I`ve owned. Hot preamps, kills the dynamics!!
If you like dynamics-buy a Fender, if you like zzziiing- buy an high end bass!

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='411757' date='Feb 17 2009, 10:11 AM']Have you owned a fender copy CK? If not, you've done well to avoid their designs for so long.[/quote]
I had a Fender copy as my first bass for a year and then lasted for the next 16 years without ever owning another Fender inspired instrument. At least until I had a purple, custom graphite necked jazz made in 2002. I'm currently mulling over the purchase of my first Fender but will give myself until Sunday to make a decision. The Celinders are hard to beat as workhorses.

imho fenders are very over-rated and overpriced. Some nice ones kicking about, but like gibson, they trade on their name and have done for a long time. Especially with the recent price hikes, it beggers belief to how much they charge for some of their standard instruments. There's so many better made and better to play instruments out there, but I suppose in a world where we are consumed by status, image and general sheep like mentalities, people will still champion them as the best of the best.

Just not the case anymore imho.