Why become a member? ×

How do you think about Fender?

big cat

[quote name='Prosebass' post='403258' date='Feb 8 2009, 10:58 AM']Ask this lot !!!!

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Precision_Bass_players"]Precision Players[/url]

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_Jazz#Notable_Jazz_Bass_players"]Jazz Players[/url][/quote]
KO in the 4th round...good post.

80% of the music I love was played on a Precision and the other 20% on a Jazz so it would be so easy to follow the crowd. Lakland basses are made by people who care. It seems to me that Fenders are made by people who are just shifting units which is one reason why their 5 string basses fall short.
If Fender started making basses properly again then I might be interested. If you started playing when Fender was the only choice then there will always be a pull on your heart strings, but until then, for me, it's being done so much better by Lakland.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='402778' date='Feb 7 2009, 01:21 PM']The 3 nicest basses I have ever played are Fenders.

I don't want to look like a space man when I'm playing so I hate all this carbon fibre sh*t. I also refuse to put batteries in a bass guitar. Batteries are for TV remotes and my girlfriends rampant rabbit. I also don't want to sound like a guitar. Just a dull thump suits me.

Quirky basses f*** me off. The people who play quirky basses often have quirky hair. And probably wear trainers with a suit, just to look quirky. Just because you've got no personality and your parents ignored you, don't try and make up for it with a silly quirky guitar.

Spikey metal basses. What a load of sh*t. Everyone knows the mettallers at school were the geeks who played dungeons and dragons. Having said that, a lot of those goth birds take it up the arse, so maybe their on to something? Still, get a hair cut, take of your cape and get a f***ing job that doesn't involve breeding snakes or working in the IT department.

I genuinely couldn't give a f*** what its says on the headstock of a bass, I just think Fender got it right. Other manufacturers (like those c**ts at Warwick) seem to think "how can we make a design different from a fender?" as opposed to "How can we design a great bass?".

I played a Burns the other day. That was alright. Different but still comfy and doesn't make you look like a c***. Although I do look (and act) like a c*** naturally.

Fender copies. Fair enough. Don't see the point though really. I know Vintange do some decent cheaper copies. Wouldn't get one of these expensive ones though. Most of them take batteries. f***ing hate batteries. I've stopped using pedals because of them.[/quote]

+1! Mostly...
;)

[quote name='mrcrow' post='402923' date='Feb 7 2009, 04:57 PM']serious bass men wont fall or stick in the fender rut or gulley when they can have much better engineered instruments albeit at a cost..which does say something about the whole scenario

how much do you pay for nostalgia and marketing[/quote]

It's got nothing whatever to do with being a 'serious' anything. I like Fenders because they are what they are, and heartily dislike most others because they simply don't do it for me - most of them look like furniture, not musical instruments. But that is, of course, my opinion, and is worth what you paid for it...
Very few people would call Marcus Miller anything except serious. There's your statement blown away. If you really need a hand-crafted, exotic wood bass, well and good. But the best of them is not neccessarily better than anything else. There is not, and will not ever be, some 'ultimate bass', or indeed anything else. They are all just different. I entirely agree with BBC (in principle, if not in, er, tone!). Keep it simple. It works. No need to knock it if it don't float ya boat. They do a really good job for me, and my tone gets compliments. You cannot buy tone, you have to make it yourself, and if you can do that with a simple instrument, you are one step ahead.

Den

[quote name='Prosebass' post='403258' date='Feb 8 2009, 10:58 AM']Ask this lot !!!!

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Precision_Bass_players"]Precision Players[/url]

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_Jazz#Notable_Jazz_Bass_players"]Jazz Players[/url][/quote]

Yes... but how many of those use a Fender as their main instrument? A quick glance reveals plenty of players who are just as famous for playing a different brand of bass.

Proves nothing.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='403327' date='Feb 8 2009, 12:33 PM']Yes... but how many of those use a Fender as their main instrument? A quick glance reveals plenty of players who are just as famous for playing a different brand of bass.

Proves nothing.[/quote]
Probably what they endorse vs what they use in the studio are totally different,often the case.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='403327' date='Feb 8 2009, 12:33 PM']Yes... but how many of those use a Fender as their main instrument? A quick glance reveals plenty of players who are just as famous for playing a different brand of bass.

Proves nothing.[/quote]

I didn't check each one individually but many of them still use Fenders either...as their main instruments, started on a Fender or occasionally use a Fender. You can't say that for any other Make of bass ?
Fenders may be the Ford Mondeo of the bass world but then there is nothing wrong with Ford Mondeo's

[quote name='Telebass' post='403325' date='Feb 8 2009, 12:32 PM']Very few people would call Marcus Miller anything except serious. There's your statement blown away. If you really need a hand-crafted, exotic wood bass, well and good. But the best of them is not neccessarily better than anything else. There is not, and will not ever be, some 'ultimate bass', or indeed anything else. They are all just different. I entirely agree with BBC (in principle, if not in, er, tone!). Keep it simple. It works. No need to knock it if it don't float ya boat. They do a really good job for me, and my tone gets compliments. You cannot buy tone, you have to make it yourself, and if you can do that with a simple instrument, you are one step ahead.

Den[/quote]

good points den and fair defence for the 'fender' bass
regarding marcus miller...does he play a stock fender or one that a luthier/tech has modified...then marketed at a 'profotable' price and produced in a factory
i just cant see how the fender marque today can anyway really be connected with its origins
its a name...and like gibson and others are far from home
i bet marcus has some nice furniture though ;)

Edited by mrcrow

[quote]Fenders may be the Ford Mondeo of the bass world but then there is nothing wrong with Ford Mondeo's[/quote]

I wouldn't even agree with that, it's not a fair analogy (although I do see your point). Fender would more accurately be described at the Ford company itself, rather than one of it's base models... a company that gave the world the most usable means of transport to the masses and a company that gave the world the most usable electric guitars at the time. That to me would seem fairer.

[quote]serious bass men wont fall or stick in the fender rut or gulley when they can have much better engineered instruments albeit at a cost..which does say something about the whole scenario[/quote]

I'd like to know what a 'serious' bass player is... if you looked up 'serious bass player' in the dictionary, who would fall under that particular description? I would consider myself a serious bass player and I'm very happy being stuck in the Fender 'rut' as you call it... most of all because I can't justify spending more money right now on a new bass that would make me appear in the eyes of other musicians 'a more serious bass player'... I get along fine with my Jazz bass.

Don't get me wrong, I totally understand why people might not like Fenders, but often the arguments that people come up with as to why they don't like the brand itself are generally born out of a mish-mash a misinformation and half opinion that summarise nothing, basically. The 'serious bass player' argument, for example, is tosh. ;)

I have played a number of fenders old,new whichever,and yes agree that they have 'that' sound and have not changed for yonks,bar pick ups then only to become more modern in sound.but as with most things in life we have a little thing called progress.I know some people will have all the old school set up to get that sound,but as amps and speaker technology changes so do bass guitars,and its all a matter of what a player likes,there is no right and wrong just different tastes.The world would be a very bland and boring place if we all like the same things,personally I prefer a 'modern' sound but a classic fender sound I will use with certain recordings or playing with certain bands,its whats required or what sounds and feels right(or wrong).I think for the money there are better sounding instruments and better looking but again thats my taste. Do we all still use sm58s for main vocals,god forbid no,but thats another story

[quote name='liamcapleton' post='403447' date='Feb 8 2009, 03:30 PM']I wouldn't even agree with that, it's not a fair analogy (although I do see your point). Fender would more accurately be described at the Ford company itself, rather than one of it's base models... a company that gave the world the most usable means of transport to the masses and a company that gave the world the most usable electric guitars at the time. That to me would seem fairer.

I'd like to know what a 'serious' bass player is... if you looked up 'serious bass player' in the dictionary, who would fall under that particular description? I would consider myself a serious bass player and I'm very happy being stuck in the Fender 'rut' as you call it... most of all because I can't justify spending more money right now on a new bass that would make me appear in the eyes of other musicians 'a more serious bass player'... I get along fine with my Jazz bass.

Don't get me wrong, I totally understand why people might not like Fenders, but often the arguments that people come up with as to why they don't like the brand itself are generally born out of a mish-mash a misinformation and half opinion that summarise nothing, basically. The 'serious bass player' argument, for example, is tosh. :)[/quote]

i guess it is nonsense as you say..so many fender afficionados...the same with ricks which i think are complete rip offs..
i have had both and liked them but didnt get on with them as the saying goes for various reasons i found out after buying the particular model i had and wanted a 'better' bass...as it happened a 5 which now i dont want...my epitaph no doubt
its not i dont like fenders but am making the point that today you are talking fender the name and so is a variable
yamaha for instance dont have a historical past to come up to and reinvent every so often
i think the 'fender' manufacturing base is no different from say yamaha or ibanez or ...does gibson still exist...
gibson..and all are shapes based on the past with attempts to modify to keep up with modern trends

as for a serious bass player...i can tell you are one because you slapped my wrist... ;) :P
i only referred to a bassist who was more concerned with playability and sound rather than headstock shapes and decals
as for the money angle...i apologise..its easy to talk outside the box and disregard practicalities...so i better let that go as not good grounds for argument...ie there are better basses so why dont you have them??

good to know we arent all the same..
cheers
geof

[quote]as for a serious bass player...i can tell you are one because you slapped my wrist...
i only referred to a bassist who was more concerned with playability and sound rather than headstock shapes and decals
as for the money angle...i apologise..its easy to talk outside the box and disregard practicalities...so i better let that go as not good grounds for argument...ie there are better basses so why dont you have them??[/quote]

I guess my point was that it's such an individual approach to what sort of bass you would like. I would generally think that Fenders provide likable playability to suit most people, but I understand that might not be the case for everyone. I meant that I was 'a serious bass player' in the least arrogant way possible (I'm sure my drummer might argue that I'm one of the least serious bass players going ;) ) but you get my point.

I'm just happy with Fender is all, I like them a lot. I just think that people build their ideas on Fender under false pretense sometimes (not that I'm saying you have). Fender's nail i for me... but I still probably wouldn't say no to an MTD or an F-Bass right now though...

[quote name='liamcapleton' post='403447' date='Feb 8 2009, 03:30 PM']I wouldn't even agree with that, it's not a fair analogy (although I do see your point). Fender would more accurately be described at the Ford company itself, rather than one of it's base models... a company that gave the world the most usable means of transport to the masses and a company that gave the world the most usable electric guitars at the time. That to me would seem fairer.[/quote]

Good point , and better put than moi....

[quote name='YouMa' post='403172' date='Feb 8 2009, 03:57 AM']Even people who dont play guitar know fenders name,i bet none of them have heard of cort.[/quote]

[quote name='Me']...most products can be defined by a brand or brands, and bass guitars have, over the course of their history, become synonymous with the Fender name.[/quote]

Because Fender is a "name". Which sometimes appears on guitars made by Cort. ;)

J.

[quote name='mikhay77' post='403471' date='Feb 8 2009, 04:00 PM']Do we all still use sm58s for main vocals?[/quote]

I do... and I play a P-bass, admittedly not a Fender but an amalgamation of parts to produce a blatant facsimile. Neither are cutting edge technology but they both do the job adequately and are utterly reliable (The SM58 has a big flat spot in mesh shield where a punter dropped it to the stage after joining us on stage...still works impeccably).

I must admit, I am a bit of a Fender sucker. I have been open minded but seem to always end up back at Fender. I tried to like other makes like Warwick, Status etc but they just don't do it for me. They either look too clinical, sound too clinical, look plastic, look too modern or just don't feel comfortable. There is no doubt that other basses are as good as if not better made and sound as good and better in some cases but I just love the way a Fender feels and sounds. Of course, you need to select your fender carefully as some really are rubbish but a good one is not to hard to find. The only other bass that I have fallen in love with and own is a Musicman Stingray and lets face it, thats basically from the Fender camp.

For me, I guess I love the look and feel of Fenders. I love the retro look, I love the feel of the necks, on Jazz and Precisions and I love the sound. I agree that they do what they say on the tin but for me, this is not a bad thing. I also love simplicity. A bass that you can plug in and play with little to no fiddling. If I want more bass or treble then I roll one control one way or the other. None of this 10 controls to fiddle with. I want a bass to play, a reliable workhorse that feels comfortable and is an ease to play. For me Fender basses do this.

I do agree that any bass can sound amazing in the right hands, dependant on the players style of playing. I am sure James Jamerson would sound amazing on a Warwick Streamer as would Mark King on a Fender Jazz but then this would not be the sound or tone we know them for.

[quote name='liamcapleton' post='403526' date='Feb 8 2009, 04:52 PM']I guess my point was that it's such an individual approach to what sort of bass you would like. I would generally think that Fenders provide likable playability to suit most people, but I understand that might not be the case for everyone. I meant that I was 'a serious bass player' in the least arrogant way possible (I'm sure my drummer might argue that I'm one of the least serious bass players going :) ) but you get my point.

I'm just happy with Fender is all, I like them a lot. I just think that people build their ideas on Fender under false pretense sometimes (not that I'm saying you have). Fender's nail i for me... but I still probably wouldn't say no to an MTD or an F-Bass right now though...[/quote]

;)

well i am considering selling my MM5 and would gladly get another fender...mainly because in real terms apart from sonic qualities its the easiest bass to fix or upgrade...which is a plus really
like the co-op tea...fender has branches everywhere... :P

and i am looking closely at a 54P as a swoppable alternative for simplicity and style

cheers
geof

[quote name='mrcrow' post='404272' date='Feb 9 2009, 01:22 PM']....well i am considering selling my MM5 and would gladly get another fender...mainly because in real terms apart from sonic qualities its the easiest bass to fix or upgrade...which is a plus really like the co-op tea...fender has branches everywhere....[/quote]
Leo Fender's main aims were simplicity, ease of maintenance, and, of course, to make the number 1 selling guitars and basses. No matter how his company has been run since they can't seem to undo that legacy. That makes Leo Fender a pretty amazing bloke!

Good thread, and the usual ROTFL and +1 to tBBC.

Looked at the wikipedia link above and it has to be admitted that many of the players cited moved on to basses other than the Precision, for whatever reason. Personally I prefer Entwistle's Precision tone to any of the carbon fibre quirky sh*t he used more recently but, whatever...