Why become a member? ×

How do you think about Fender?

big cat

I know a lot of players who are going back to or switching to Fenders because of reliability. Nothing got to do with brand or image. They just want a simple bass that does the job night in night out, can take being knocked about on the road and sound great every time. In fairness to fender they pretty much nailed it first time out. The only other brand I'd have that much confidence in is Yamaha.

[quote name='Mog' post='1034061' date='Nov 23 2010, 04:14 PM']I know a lot of players who are going back to or switching to Fenders because of reliability. Nothing got to do with brand or image. They just want a simple bass that does the job night in night out, can take being knocked about on the road and sound great every time. In fairness to fender they pretty much nailed it first time out. The only other brand I'd have that much confidence in is Yamaha.[/quote]

+1, without adding too much more to what is clearly an ancient thread, plenty of good players play Fender because they do the job. Engineers all over the world past and present love Fenders because they get the job done and sound great. There's no undermining the fact that Fenders have provided the backbone of modern music, no other guitar manufacturer can claim this.

I have a 76 P. It's awful really but has sentimental value. It feels like a couple of slabs of wood chucked together and made into a bass. The quality in the 70's was poor. But I've played lots of good 60's P and J basses and would recommend them from that era. If I was to buy new it would be CIJ. The quality control has been spot on from day 1 in Japan. So for nearly 30 years they have produced IMHO the best Fenders and better value than MIA by a long stretch.

So yes they deserve their place in the market due to their history. You just have to make wise purchases.

Davo

I love my somewhat beaten up Japanese Fenders (Marcus Miller Jazz 4 string, 62 reissue Jazzes fretted & fretless, 62 reissue P bass) but I had to play a lot of junk to find some I like because quality control was so poor 20 years ago. It seems a bit better now but not much.

In the early 90s I refused to pay more than a £300 for what was essentially 2 bits of wood screwed together, bent metal hardware and primitive pickups, although I paid a bit more for the MM Jazz recently(£500), I just can't see the point in paying really big money for a Fender.

When you start to add expensive options or going for Super Jazzes or Super Precisions they start to lose that classic sound and feel in my opinion, so I preferred to go the high tech route with graphite and active EQ for when I need a more modern sound.

After watching this years Jools Holland show it seems like almost everyone was playing a Fender (with a pick) through an Ampeg SVT, bass players seem to be getting really conservative these days. A whole series and there was one guy playing an Aria SB, another guy playing a Fender through a Trace stack, another through an Ashdown and that was about it. It made a nice change to see someone playing a Tuba!

[quote name='JTUK' post='1034047' date='Nov 23 2010, 04:04 PM']As a product they are ok... and you might have a very good one, but mostly other copiers do things better ( and some SO much better, IME) so they are left with the icon/image.[/quote]

And the iconic nature of that something is very valuable. Fenders should at least mean that (once traded second hand) you usually get all or very close to your investment back. With the notable exception of upgrades which add next to nothing of cash value.

I'm regularly shocked at how used prices for the likes of Warwick and Shuker fall apart like a leper in a wind tunnel.

i've been on a few fenders, most of them early 70s ones. they really were well built back then. i've also been on a few newer models and they feel more 'lightweight' without want of a better word. i think if you buy a fender you certainly are buying into the brand and image that fender brings, no question about that!

to be honest, amplifiers are more integral to a bass sound :)

[quote name='Michaelg' post='1034468' date='Nov 23 2010, 09:25 PM']to be honest, amplifiers are more integral to a bass sound :)[/quote]

I disagree with you as the idea of an amplifier is to make the sound louder, but obviously a 15inch speeker is different to a 12 and a 10 inch.

BUT, i watched the video in your sig, and thats a really great sound. Whats the bands name?

[quote name='blackmn90' post='1034639' date='Nov 24 2010, 01:38 AM']I disagree with you as the idea of an amplifier is to make the sound louder, but obviously a 15inch speeker is different to a 12 and a 10 inch.

BUT, i watched the video in your sig, and thats a really great sound. Whats the bands name?[/quote]

Well, not for me. I've spent a lot of time looking for an amp, cab and even cables suitable to me.
Every part of my setup is a huge part of my sound, even the cables - Klotz Funkmasters.
They DO sound different than others, especially with flats (I'm La Bella 760FL addict;)

As for Fenders... well. A '62 P-bass was good enough for Jamerson so it's way more than good enough for me.
I just like the fell of wider neck, whole ergonomy, punch and fat sound of passive Precision.
I'm aware that my bass is overpriced (tonewise) but I payed for the sound, feel and visual look that makes me feel good everytime I have bass in my hands.

Leo was a Genius. Precision, Jazz Bass, Stingray, G&Ls' are all milestones for bass players and bass builders from all over the world.

I've never really thought Fender basses, in terms of their sound or the quality of build, were that good. Thing is, as other have said, they come with a certain history that means their name sells them and therefore there will always be a market for a "Fender".

At the end of the day if you like the sound and feel of a Fender then who cares what anyone else thinks, you're in good company, Jaco, Jamerson, Harris, Miller....

[quote name='mazdah' post='1034763' date='Nov 24 2010, 09:27 AM']Well, not for me. I've spent a lot of time looking for an amp, cab and even cables suitable to me.
Every part of my setup is a huge part of my sound, even the cables - Klotz Funkmasters.
They DO sound different than others, especially with flats (I'm La Bella 760FL addict;)

As for Fenders... well. [b]A '62 P-bass was good enough for Jamerson so it's way more than good enough for me. [/b]I just like the fell of wider neck, whole ergonomy, punch and fat sound of passive Precision.
I'm aware that my bass is overpriced (tonewise) but I payed for the sound, feel and visual look that makes me feel good everytime I have bass in my hands.

Leo was a Genius. Precision, Jazz Bass, Stingray, G&Ls' are all milestones for bass players and bass builders from all over the world.[/quote]
I never understand that attitude. It's like saying a diet of coconuts was good enough for Robinson Crusoe so it's good enough for me, or something.

There is such a thing as progress, we musicians should embrace that and move forward. Leo's design has not evolved at all over fifty years, Fender are completely stuck in the past, and so are many of the musicians that play them.

I think its always best to play the bass that you personally get on with the most. I`m a Fender Precision lover, but I love them because they are the best bass for me to play - out of all the basses I`ve played I might add. There are many other brands which I`ve not played, so can`t/won`t comment on them. Likewise, I don`t say Fender lover, as although I think the Jazz, in 3TS with Tort Sctratchplate, RW neck, blocks & binding is the coolest looking bass there is, I just don`t get what I want from the Jazz, whereas the Precision ticks all the boxes.

To sum it up, I don`t care if its outdated, or modern, or inbetween, or if so-and-so played one, I care about how it feels and sounds when I play it, and to date, its the best bass for me. I`m also not bothered if some bassists don`t like the Precision - hey, we`re all individuals, with our own opinions.

[quote name='silddx' post='1034796' date='Nov 24 2010, 09:55 AM']Fender are completely stuck in the past, and so are many of the musicians that play them.[/quote]

Things do move and evolve which is good, but sometimes there is something nice about just using a traditional method

If a band is producing a kind of music which was originally created on a passive 4 string fender with 1 pick up position, what is wrong with doing just that now

Evolution is good and exciting, but if you don't need 8 active pick ups, led lights etc to create your sound and image, then thats not being stuck in the past

Nail guns are great, but sometimes a hammer is all that is needed

[quote name='lojo' post='1034827' date='Nov 24 2010, 10:30 AM']Things do move and evolve which is good, but sometimes there is something nice about just using a traditional method

If a band is producing a kind of music which was originally created on a passive 4 string fender with 1 pick up position, what is wrong with doing just that now

[b]Evolution is good and exciting, but if you don't need 8 active pick ups, led lights etc to create your sound and image, then thats not being stuck in the past[/b]

Nail guns are great, but sometimes a hammer is all that is needed[/quote]
I'm really talking about decent hardware and ergonomics. Not all the fancy bollocks, or massive amounts of tonal options. Simply the usability angle.

After all, it was designed as an alternative and evolution of the string bass. How traditional do you want to be?

[quote name='silddx' post='1034837' date='Nov 24 2010, 10:40 AM']I'm really talking about decent hardware and ergonomics. Not all the fancy bollocks, or massive amounts of tonal options. Simply the usability angle.

After all, it was designed as an alternative and evolution of the string bass. How traditional do you want to be?[/quote]

Mate if I can find the time, id love to learn to play the string bass properly :)

Not intentional trying to be traditional, as my amp is modern, but just find I like the basic bass

What ergonomically and in usability is wrong with a P then in your opinion (ie not fancy bollocks or tonal options)

Not trying to provoke , just interested

Also I would not rule out in 2 years time, me finding something else that floats my boat better or changing my opinion, but i'm just not actively looking too (apart from a stingray anyway)

For me, I like to do the best I can with the money I've got........This is where the whole Fender thing falls apart for me. Don't get me wrong, I really like Fender's. Comfy to play, and what looks cooler than a 70's Jazz with block markers and ash trays :)

Problem is, when you look at how much a '75 reissue USA is for example, then have a look around the second hand ads, etc, or look to what is available from the likes of, say, Ibanez, etc, for a lot less money, I can't convince myself that a USA Fender is worth the money. When you think that you can get a second hand Alembic for around the same money as USA models, it's a bit of a no brainer really for me.

I really like the look of the new 5 string deluxe models, with the block markers, etc. They look uber cool, but one would have a hard time justifying to me that it is worth the dosh.

funny how things change....a year ago I didn't like Fender's to the point of hate....maybe because everyone has one I like to be different....and I love Yamaha's.

....then I bought '09 MIM P bass, which took a while to love....and now it's an uber keeper....there is something very 'right' about it...it's not a Yamaha, it is a Fender, and I have room for both nowadays.

...although I will always have more room for Yamaha's :)

Fenders will always be, the orginal, the one which started it off

I think thats why they have a certain vibe,

I've never ever "hated" a fender, and i've neve "loved" one either,

Though, not sure about recently? but certainly in the last 10 years (i feel wierd and old sayin that!) the american standards have been great for the money, some of the signatures i could rant about though!

basically i'm indifferent to fender haha :)