Why become a member? ×

Strap Length

xilddx

I'm afraid I am guilty of such. But now, I am going to need to play chords for some ambient D&B type music we are going in for. I have to admit, the gig was difficult in parts because of my bass being too low, but I don't want to have to look like Mark King to play chords.

What would you do?

[quote name='lee4' post='397202' date='Feb 1 2009, 08:21 PM']Adjust the strap so you are comfy.Tendon and joint pain aint rock 'n' roll![/quote]

+1, mine has got to be high enough so the wrist on my fretting hand can stay quite straight.

The biggest problem i've found is belt rash, i always have to wear a belt, it's not just scracthing the bass, it feels really uncomfortable, but right around the nutcracker area is where it's most comfortable to play, plus i'm 6'3" and i've got more back problems than my 80 year old grandad, but i do feel this probelm, it's not just rock and roll'ness, i don't find it too comfortable high up eitheir. What i usually do is wear it just low enough so the belt's not a problem, and put my left leg on a monitor or something for quick high register stuff, or rest my right leg on my amp and rest teh bass on it for longer stuff.

Wow, that's a lot of talking about my weird physicallness

Edited by bobbass4k

I have the bass in the same spot sitting down as I do standing up.

I was already doing this before I saw Billy Sheehan say the same thing on his first video lesson. ;)

Reminds me that I have to get a new strap to go with my new bass. My wife picks them out for so I'm assured of some good colour-co-ordination :P

I do admit to being a bit of a strap-whore and will change the length depending on the gig. Generally though, having it so it remains the same height standing or sitting is a good place to start.

In terms of avoiding pain/injury, your hands will operate best when your wrists are as completely straight. However, this is impossible to maintain without having a bass that bends round a corner! Compromise is the order of the day. If you have your strap high, your left/fretting-hand wrist will be nice and straight, but your right/plucking-hand wrist will be bent. If you play with your strap low then it makes your right/plucking-hand wrist straight, but now your left/fretting-hand wrist is bent. Go for something in the middle that reduces as much bending as possible!

On a gig you'll probably want to be projecting the right attitude and image for the style you play. This is fine, but if you are spending a lot of time with your bass in your hand, either practising or rehearsing, it might be wise to do the thing that's best for your body for the majority of the time.

I've actually just done an article on this very subject that will be in the next edition of Bass Guitar Magazine, along with a warmup exercise.

Andrew

I tend to have the straps on my axes to be as long as they can be, but they are medium length ones and i'm not the shortest person in the world.
This leaves my bass across my hips which i find comfortable to play pretty much all i need to and also isn't too high or low for me.
Not the most informative of answers, but it suits me!!

Surely your there to play bass, not to worry about how you look!!??

Just wear it the way you need to able to play the bass most comfortably

You wouldnt drive a car from the back seat because it looked cool.
I think IMHO, it looks stupid with bass around your knees and its bad for, back, etc You dont see many pro's with the bass round by there knees..

[quote name='bubinga5' post='397698' date='Feb 2 2009, 11:33 AM']Surely your there to play bass, not to worry about how you look!!??[/quote]

I am there to do both. We're in the entertainment industry here, and looking good on stage is important. I know plenty of musicians that do their band a disservice by going on stage with a knacked old tee-shirt and shapeless jeans from TK Maxx when the singer is dressed to kill. Looks ridiculous, gives a poor impression and, in my humble opinion of course, detracts from the entertainment value of the band in question.

I started playing low but then got a headless & the body although hung low the neck sat high which suited me perfetly.

Now i play a bass with a head i find the body is getting higher & higher....i'm frightened it's gonna end up on me chin soon........i dont like the look of a high up Bass but then again it's where you play best.

If i'm listening to an amazing track on a CD i cant tell how high their bass is so i dont really care nowadays

[quote name='silddx' post='397775' date='Feb 2 2009, 12:42 PM']I am there to do both. We're in the entertainment industry here, and looking good on stage is important. I know plenty of musicians that do their band a disservice by going on stage with a knacked old tee-shirt and shapeless jeans from TK Maxx when the singer is dressed to kill. Looks ridiculous, gives a poor impression and, in my humble opinion of course, detracts from the entertainment value of the band in question.[/quote]

+1,000,000

<-- As you can see, I'm for tha low down look but basically I'm all over the shop when I'm playing depending upon the tempo or vibe at the time.
In our heaviest sections I'll often play bent right over or crouched down with my basses butt on the deck or bring the head up vertical next to my ear for the low-down-big-stretchy stuff.

This one time ("at band camp" --- sry) after going on after a psycho-billy type band which had a double bass player who liked to do mountain-goat impersonations (ala the Bill Haley/double bass pic above), I went for a bit of showboating and stood on my J bass and played a few bars in the middle of a bass intensive part, the previous band were not far from the front of the stage watching us but weren't amused (??) they thought I was taking the piss. ;) I just wanted to see if I could do it and thought it might make em chuckle too.