Why become a member? ×

What song are you learning?

odysseus

23 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

I'm learning Waiting Room by Fugazi. Brilliant song and all about the bass line.

It's only really one riff but it's quite fast and has to be played very cleanly, all imperfections in playing stick out a mile.

I saw them live a couple of times. The bass was amazing.

Ian is a fantastic frontman. I need to listen to them again now.

I'm currently working up the vox and bassline for The Boys Are Back In Town. Having said that, we've been offered a gig on the 6th November, so that's now taking a back seat to tightening up the set list and trying desperately to smooth out the octave jumps in Atomic... it's surprising and annoying how just one bloody bar can take up so much practice time. Even the bass solo isn't as hard as that wee bar steward...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Peloquin said:

I saw them live a couple of times. The bass was amazing.

Ian is a fantastic frontman. I need to listen to them again now.

Waiting room is a simple bass line but every little imperfection in playing it stands our a mile. I've a lot of respect now for Joe Lally. I always thought you could be a bit rough with punk but that's just not the case.

• Like 1

A drummer pal and I decided to answer a call for a start up classic rock band and we have a few songs to learn for our first get together in a couple of weeks time.  Lady singer, apparently, and I'm delighted to be learning Heart's 'Barracuda' as it is a song I have been listening to an enjoying for many a year.  A lot of 16ths!  I hope the reality matches the ambition as the vocals are a big ask.  Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Paul S said:

A drummer pal and I decided to answer a call for a start up classic rock band and we have a few songs to learn for our first get together in a couple of weeks time.  Lady singer, apparently, and I'm delighted to be learning Heart's 'Barracuda' as it is a song I have been listening to an enjoying for many a year.  A lot of 16ths!  I hope the reality matches the ambition as the vocals are a big ask.  Fingers crossed.

Love that song by Heart. Bought the album when it first came out. Well done and hope its as good as it sounds.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Love that song by Heart. Bought the album when it first came out. Well done and hope its as good as it sounds.

Dave

Thanks Dave.  Tricky song to cover, I'd say .... but maybe it sets out the stall early about how competentthe various players will be?  Can only hope.

17 minutes ago, Paul S said:

Thanks Dave.  Tricky song to cover, I'd say .... but maybe it sets out the stall early about how competentthe various players will be?  Can only hope.

I remember trying that song in one of my first bands back late 70's and it was hard getting everyone on same page plus those vocals are just sensational.

Great singer, great band..

Any other snippets on what you are doing i'd be curious. 

Dave

18 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I remember trying that song in one of my first bands back late 70's and it was hard getting everyone on same page plus those vocals are just sensational.

Great singer, great band..

Any other snippets on what you are doing i'd be curious. 

Dave

Nothing sensational, as it happens.  This is the pet project of the guitarist (who I have yet to meet or hear!) and I think he put together a list of songs before having a female singer on board. 

7 to learn - Barracuda, I Love Rock n Roll are the only female vocal ones then Friday On My Mind, Jailbreak, Highway To Hell, White Room. Doctor Doctor (UFO one).  If it looks like it will work out I'm sure with some judicious steering we can get some more appropriate songs in there. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paul S said:

Nothing sensational, as it happens.  This is the pet project of the guitarist (who I have yet to meet or hear!) and I think he put together a list of songs before having a female singer on board. 

7 to learn - Barracuda, I Love Rock n Roll are the only female vocal ones then Friday On My Mind, Jailbreak, Highway To Hell, White Room. Doctor Doctor (UFO one).  If it looks like it will work out I'm sure with some judicious steering we can get some more appropriate songs in there. 

That's a great start to a classic rock set. Currently doing I Love R&R in our 70's Glam Rock covers band but its the original 70's version by Arrows. Good fun playing it.

Dave

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

That's a great start to a classic rock set. Currently doing I Love R&R in our 70's Glam Rock covers band but its the original 70's version by Arrows. Good fun playing it.

Dave

I never knew it was a cover!  I'll see if I can find it :) 

16 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Two or three fingers plucking together.

I'll stick with the pick. I can't imagine being able to play those power chords fast enough with that technique, my hands don't move that fast.

A local band does a cover of Ace of Spades and the bassist plays with no dirt on his tone and gently finger picking just single notes and to make it worse the soft female vocal just kills it. It's a sorry cover of a great song

2 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

I'll stick with the pick. I can't imagine being able to play those power chords fast enough with that technique, my hands don't move that fast.

A local band does a cover of Ace of Spades and the bassist plays with no dirt on his tone and gently finger picking just single notes and to make it worse the soft female vocal just kills it. It's a sorry cover of a great song

I used to play it in a covers band and struggled to play the chords fingerstyle and ended up using my index finger as a pick but wasn't ideal and i never felt comfortable playing it.

Dave

I've done it with a pick but I wasn't comfortable, and I don't think I was as anywhere near as well as I should have been. Audience didn't seem to mind.

I find it easier to keep the tempo with fingers and play the chords by either pulling the strings together or flicking my fingernails across the strings together which gives a different but equally aggressive sound.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

That should be fun to play 🙂

As a song it is, I've played it before.  But I guess you mean the lyrics aren't that gender neutral.  I'm sure they will be fine with the right attitude and a little tweaking. 

3 hours ago, Paul S said:

As a song it is, I've played it before.  But I guess you mean the lyrics aren't that gender neutral.  I'm sure they will be fine with the right attitude and a little tweaking. 

I meant the bassline. Phil wasn't the most politically correct of frontmen...

4 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Not really learning, but I'm revising La Grange as penance for playing the bassline to Waiting for the Bus - or trying to...

In my blues rock trio we segue 'La Grange' with 'Steppin Out' - after the stabs and the breakdown, instead of going back to the original riff.  Works quite well, when we get the timing right :) 

• Like 1