Why become a member? ×

What song are you learning?

odysseus

21 hours ago, SteveH said:

The first track I had a go at was Space Oddity...... quite a daunting task, put the isolated bass and drums into Ableton with the original track sinked up to it , and tried to learn each verse, but gave up and now do a simplified version cos I realized I've got to do BVs. It's crazy all these years and I'm only just getting into Bowie properly. Stay has got a few real groovy basslines on the play out. And I'm loving some of those early Trevor Boulder and Visconti's chromatic basslines as well. Elvis Costello "pump it up", has got some superb bass playing on it There's not enough hours in the day to learn everything unfortunately. So far I've learnt about 27 songs in about a month done a gig 2 weeks ago and got another on Saturday. I'm working on the set  now.

You're a braver man than me! I can just about play the bass, the idea of chucking in BV's as well is pretty hellish.......mostly for the listeners 😂

Pump it up is a really great song to play and essentially just 3 riffs, so not so much to remember. There's a bit of variation in the choruses, but it's pretty much the same for each one. There's some pretty decent tutorials and play alongs on YouTube for it.

OK, I've strictly just finished learning this but...

Merry Christmas Everybody

On the grounds that (a) it isn't shite like most 'Xmas Songs' (b) The hardest part is the bass, meaning no one can complain it's too difficult and (c) I may be able to avoid having to play drivel or learn Dee Murray's bassline to Step Into Christmas (which is wasted on that song).

But seriously, what a great bassline, Jim Lea = underrated genius.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Is it not? Well, you learn something new every day I guess!

Played, too often, but it's far from crap. Relatable lyrics, tongue in cheek, singable, memorable, well arranged and musically more sophisticated than most pop songs.

https://www.musicradar.com/guitartechniques/slades-merry-xmas-everybody-appraised-246673

It may not be Bach's Toccata and Fuge, but it isn't crap.

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

OK, I've strictly just finished learning this but...

Merry Christmas Everybody

On the grounds that (a) it isn't shite like most 'Xmas Songs' (b) The hardest part is the bass, meaning no one can complain it's too difficult and (c) I may be able to avoid having to play drivel or learn Dee Murray's bassline to Step Into Christmas (which is wasted on that song).

But seriously, what a great bassline, Jim Lea = underrated genius.

We do that in our 70's Glam Covers band for Xmas gigs and love playing his basslines. That one is particularly nice to play.

Dave

• Like 3

2 hours ago, skidder652003 said:

Got to learn Ramble On for next week.

Bitchn' runs as per the course with Mr JPJ.....

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Heard Black Dog by Led Zep today in the gym and was thinking that would be a great song to learn.

Dave

Great lines by one of my favourite players.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Peloquin said:

I've got just past the first "call 999" bit of Maxwell Murder.

I'm not quite up to speed and obviously dreading the solo , especially since I've not been learning long and I'm playing with fingers instead of a pick but I'm enjoying trying it (so far).

That's a tough one. I can play it at 90% speed but the last 10% kills me. I should imagine it's even harder without a pick

• Like 1