Why become a member? ×

What song are you learning?

odysseus

20 minutes ago, MHMSWC#03 said:

How are you getting on with that? I found Enter Sandman manageable to learn compared to other Metallica tracks.

I'm getting on really well. Although I've stopped for now as I'm now focusing on Powerwolf demons are a girl's best friend, as I have an audition for a band, and that's a song they want me to play.

• Like 1

Just now, Triumph_Rock said:

Thanks, what Metallica songs can you play? 

I have only cracked Enter Sandman successfully (have only been playing for a year really). I have had a shot at some other tabs but haven't followed through with it. I just checked my bookmarks and Creeping Death is the most recent half-assed effort I've made 😁

6 minutes ago, MHMSWC#03 said:

I have only cracked Enter Sandman successfully (have only been playing for a year really). I have had a shot at some other tabs but haven't followed through with it. I just checked my bookmarks and Creeping Death is the most recent half-assed effort I've made 😁

Put your name forward for the replacement role just the same. You never know... ;)

29 minutes ago, MHMSWC#03 said:

I wouldn't worry about how long you've been playing. I've only been playing since last September-October. 

I tend to use Songster to learn new songs, I find it speeds learning up for me 🙂

6 minutes ago, Triumph_Rock said:

I tend to use Songster to learn new songs, I find it speeds learning up for me 🙂

Songster is a great tool for learning but take care. Lots of their tabs are wrong. Right notes but asking ridiculous movements over the fretboard. I sopped using it after finding some songs were ridiculously hard to play when the same notes can be found by moving up the strings.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Triumph_Rock said:

I wouldn't worry about how long you've been playing. I've only been playing since last September-October. 

I used to use Songsterr but I swear it was making my laptop all buggy so I quit using it and went the YT route instead, I used to use Samboat Music when I first started. Now I use Guitar Pro.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ubit said:

Songster is a great tool for learning but take care. Lots of their tabs are wrong. Right notes but asking ridiculous movements over the fretboard. I sopped using it after finding some songs were ridiculously hard to play when the same notes can be found by moving up the strings.

Yes that's what I've found the songster can be wrong. Then again a lot of tab found online on various websites is wrong, and that's the good ones. Always pays to listen to the track and try and dissect it and cross reference with the tab. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MHMSWC#03 said:

I used to use Songsterr but I swear it was making my laptop all buggy so I quit using it and went the YT route instead, I used to use Samboat Music when I first started. Now I use Guitar Pro.

I use Songster on my phone, no bugs issues. Will check out the other programs you mentioned.

• Like 1

Got two on the go at the moment -  The Boys Are Back in Town and Atomic. The octave jumps in Atomic aren't that hard, but the bass solo has rather a lot of dots in a very small space. Going to take a wee while to master that bit, I think.

On 26/06/2021 at 14:43, MHMSWC#03 said:

I find using Youtube to learn a song quite hard as well. The tab moves at such a rate that I can't get a grip on it sometimes. I need to plan what I am going to play.

On 26/06/2021 at 14:18, ubit said:

First thing I do with a tab is write out a stave in Musescore and work from that. Makes it much easier to work out and simplify movements over the neck.

On 26/06/2021 at 14:45, Triumph_Rock said:

Always pays to listen to the track and try and dissect it and cross reference with the tab. 

When I was learning in my teenage bedroom I used to move the needle on the record player back countless times to learn my parts.

Edited by ubit

2 minutes ago, ubit said:

I find using Youtube to learn a song quite hard as well. The tab moves at such a rate that I can't get a grip on it sometimes. I need to plan what I am going to play.

Have you tried downloading the videos and playing them back at a slower speed on your own machine so it's easier to follow the tab? savefrom.net is one site I find very handy for that. Some videos can't be downloaded, but I've found that things like bass covers and isolated tracks usually can.

• Like 1

Just now, lozkerr said:

Have you tried downloading the videos and playing them back at a slower speed on your own machine so it's easier to follow the tab? savefrom.net is one site I find very handy for that. Some videos can't be downloaded, but I've found that things like bass covers and isolated tracks usually can.

I never knew you could do that. Cheers mate.

2 minutes ago, lozkerr said:

I got this message from their website

Subject: Discontinuation of Service in the United States

April 16, 2020

Dear Savefrom User:

As you may have heard, our industry has been under strenuous attacks by certain US copyright holders. Because of these attacks, it has become financially impractical for Savefrom to continue to provide services in the United States.

Accordingly, Savefrom will be terminating its services in the United States as of April 28, 2020.

We thank you for your past loyalty and patronage and wish you health and safety during the present health crisis and beyond.

Very truly yours,

Savefrom

Hell Ain’t A Bad Place To Be - AC/DC

Not particularly hard, but a great rocking song.

We are supposed to be doing it at our band rehearsal tonight, the singer hasn’t even looked at it, he’s had two full weeks to sort it out, very frustrating. 😤

30 minutes ago, ubit said:

I use the playback speed feature in the gear icon settings at the bottom of the video to slow it down to 75%. If it's complicated or extremely fast then I'll chuck it into Guitar Pro and take it seriously but YT is fine for jamming.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, lozkerr said:

Are you using a US-based proxy? I've just grabbed a video off YouTube using it and it worked just fine.

I copied the address from your post mate