Why become a member? ×

For anyone interested, ACS have a discount code running at the moment:

"Don't miss a beat! ACS Custom In-Ear Monitors offer precision sound for drummers. Use code DRUM15FB to save 15% on your custom monitors. Your ears will thank you!"

I'm not sure if they'll actually check if you're a drummer or not...

I'm assuming these would be a step-up from the ZS10's, but I'd be interested in hearing any thoughts from users.

• Like 1

The fact that they're custom molds takes them a league above the off the shelf stuff immediately - their basic ones (IIRC) are single drivers, but the isolation and fit makes up for that. I have the more expensive ones, and I've no GAS for anything else...

• Like 2

I'm going to get an XR18 mixer for our monitoring purposes.

I have a question with regards to what tabled to use for this.

I have no clue what specs I would need. I gather that to run the app controlling the XR18 we don't need much, but I don't know what is enough.

This would be purely to be used with the XR18, nothing else.

I'd prefer Android, but not set in stone.

I guess at the very least I need it to be dual band wifi... and I would like to be able to connect the tablet to the XR18 with a cable (using a USB-ethernet adapter) as a 'just in case' option, so it has to be able to do that.

Any hints/recommendations? 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mcnach said:

I have no clue what specs I would need. I gather that to run the app controlling the XR18 we don't need much, but I don't know what is enough.

I guess at the very least I need it to be dual band wifi... and I would like to be able to connect the tablet to the XR18 with a cable (using a USB-ethernet adapter) as a 'just in case' option, so it has to be able to do that.

One of my band's guitarists has just bought an Allen & Heath CQ18t. Not had the chance to play with it yet but I've been exploring the tablet and phone apps, as well as reading up on the specs and it looks darn useful and easy to use. 

It's similar in design to the X-Air and X18 in that it's a combined wifi-enabled stagebox with a touch screen, with 6 aux send for personal monitor mixes, not to mention built in effects.

One of the issues many X-Air owners have is the wifi is a bit unreliable and resort to using third-party routers. Allegedly the A&H router is more reliable.

There's also apps for both iOS and Android, for mixing and personal monitoring, as well as windows and mac.

I know it costs more than the Behringer, but it might be worth a look anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mcnach said:

I run either XAirMonitor Mix or MixingStation on either my iPad or iPhone. Either is fine for setting tweaking the monitor levels as the Aux page is essentially a slider / channel.

I use XAirMonitorMix app with the XR16 for my main band which works well and is quick and easy to select my Aux feed.

I also have Mixing Station that I use for a band I sometimes dep for that use a Soundcraft Ui. That also works just fine and is free as the basic app but you then have to pay for selected mixers that you use. IIRC it's around a fiver for each so doesn't break the bank 

Edited by WalMan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mcnach said:

Anything that has a browser, which is any table/phone I guess. 

With our Soundcraft we've used iphone, ipad, android phone and tablet, Amazon fire, Apple laptop. You get the drift. 

I'd recommend at least a 10" screen as it can get fiddly using your finger on a small screen. But as there's no processing (it's just a browser window) you don't need to go expensive. 

As has been mentioned, the wifi can be a bit intermittent so we run a separate router. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mcnach said:

Anything made in the last 6 or 7 years is bound to be fine, it is for iPads, I can't really say for android stuff but I assume it is the same unless they are real budget ones.

• Like 2

I use an ipad 9 for Mixing station. I was thinking id like to get an Android tablet though, as ive handed my ipad to a mate a couple of times at gigs to mix us, and while i trust him, it means he has access to my private stuff on it as its logged in to my Apple ID (i use it for music playback as well). 

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

I use an ipad 9 for Mixing station. I was thinking id like to get an Android tablet though, as ive handed my ipad to a mate a couple of times at gigs to mix us, and while i trust him, it means he has access to my private stuff on it as its logged in to my Apple ID (i use it for music playback as well). 

I did think of using a cheap amazon fire tablet for it, but then I used one, so decided to just get a cheap older iPad and not connect it to my other data.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I did think of using a cheap amazon fire tablet for it, but then I used one, so decided to just get a cheap older iPad and not connect it to my other data.

Yeah, the thing putting me off is i dont really want yet another tablet, and im so ysed to ipads. I also have an old iPad Air gen 1 that runs MS well enough, but again it’s linked to my account. I have a licence for MS that is linked to my account, and i have an Apple music account as well, so my ID needs to be on the ipad. 

• Like 1

On 19/01/2024 at 13:28, mcnach said:

I have an XR12. I use a Nokia T20, and have an elderly Huawei 10" tablet as backup. At the last gig, I started losing connection with the 5.8GHz router I was using, so I switched to the XR12's internal wifi for the rest of the gig, which worked fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 19/01/2024 at 18:50, dave_bass5 said:

Yeah, the thing putting me off is i dont really want yet another tablet, and im so ysed to ipads. I also have an old iPad Air gen 1 that runs MS well enough, but again it’s linked to my account. I have a licence for MS that is linked to my account, and i have an Apple music account as well, so my ID needs to be on the ipad. 

I have an old iPad I use for the X-Air and to get around the account problem, I just created a second Apple account using a different email address. The only apps on that iPad aside from the standard built-in stuff is the Behringer app which I still prefer over MS. For break music, I use my normal Apple account from my phone over Bluetooth to my Apple AirPort Express that I use for the X-Air.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JPJ said:

I have an old iPad I use for the X-Air and to get around the account problem, I just created a second Apple account using a different email address. The only apps on that iPad aside from the standard built-in stuff is the Behringer app which I still prefer over MS. For break music, I use my normal Apple account from my phone over Bluetooth to my Apple AirPort Express that I use for the X-Air.

I also prefer X-Air, but can only run it reliably on the old ipad. Saying that ive not really spent much time with X-Air, and while i still struggle with MS, its been rock solid. Id probably want it on as a back up, but dont want to buy another license. I do have a second Apple ID that i just use to link work and my main one, so i could use that. The main issue with the old ipad is length of time the battery lasts. It can last a gig but i dont want to be worrying about it (and dont want to be thinking about having to keep it charged etc). 

Both my ipads have headphone jacks, so i run one or the other in to 17/18m for music, but i do have a stereo BT receiver as well that i can use. 

I also use my iPad Pro with Logic on it to record the gigs, so thats something else ii have to keep an eye on.

• Like 1

On 19/01/2024 at 15:38, Buddster said:

Anything that has a browser, which is any table/phone I guess. 

With our Soundcraft we've used iphone, ipad, android phone and tablet, Amazon fire, Apple laptop. You get the drift. 

I'd recommend at least a 10" screen as it can get fiddly using your finger on a small screen. But as there's no processing (it's just a browser window) you don't need to go expensive. 

As has been mentioned, the wifi can be a bit intermittent so we run a separate router. 

Like you, I have a Soundcraft (Ui24r), which as you say is browser based, so tablet/phone agnostic (so long as it is not totally ancient). However, the Behringers need an app to interact with it rather than via browser, so age and type of tablet is a little more important.

• Like 1

On 05/01/2024 at 20:13, warwickhunt said:

For about £60 the Lekato system 'does the job'.  I'm defo not saying it is a solid piece of kit that will stand up to years of road use, especially if you aren't careful, it ISN'T.  However, for a toe in the water it is absolutely fine, especially if you are unsure.  A few people have detected a little distortion (I can't) but it could be dependent on other equipment.  I'll stress that it is light weight and plastic but it does what it says on the tin.  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LEKATO-MS-1-Transmitter-Automatic-Performance-Receiver/dp/B0B9W5S4N8/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=2MPTLFFLZ91OR&keywords=lekato%2Bwireless%2Bin%2Bear&qid=1704485289&sprefix=lekato%2Bwireless%2Bin%2Bear%2B%2Caps%2C81&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

I used this lekato set up yesterday. I have a 5.8 on the guitar too. Latency wasn't a problem at all and it seemed to work really well. The receiver was nomore than 2 metres fro the transmitter at any point. No drop out and a good sound. I will try it on a band gig this weekend, where they will be slightly further apart.

• Like 2

My guitarist brought my Lekato’s off me and has no issues so far (that i can tell). 
With 3 of us using the 2.4 band we did find that the singers Xvive needed to use a different channel as she said hers had cut out a couple of times, but things seem to be working well so far. 
I’m always a bit sceptical when they say ‘no issues’ as they are the type of people that would probably not notice a drop out if they had one, but as long as they don’t pipe up it’s all good. 

I just saw that UR have a new line of universal fit IEM’s. Prices seem reasonable i guess. 

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 1

Does anybody have a UK recommendation for custom moulds for Shure? I've got a client wants to keep their existing Shure rig but needs better isolation. I have been recommended Custom IEM Company before but seems they're not taking orders now.

• Like 1

Looking to buy my first pair of Custom IEMs. 

I am tossing between three that fit in my budget and seem to be the best fit for me but can not decide. I am looking at getting the UE11 or 18+ (as they are on sale) the JH11s or the 64 Audio A4s or A6T.

If anyone has any thoughts or other companies or monitors I should check out do let me know. 

Thanks!

• Like 1

On 20/01/2024 at 22:46, tauzero said:

I have an XR12. I use a Nokia T20, and have an elderly Huawei 10" tablet as backup. At the last gig, I started losing connection with the 5.8GHz router I was using, so I switched to the XR12's internal wifi for the rest of the gig, which worked fine.

Somehow I missed the replies to my post... and guess what? I've got a Nokia T21 now :) 

Refurbished from Nokia directly, £107 total. It would be rude to pass it ;)

I don't have the XR18 yet but I have been playing a bit with the apps. Mix Station looks great, and when I found it wasn't free I was "of course, here we go" but it was something like a fiver or so, well worth it, although it's going to take me a while to figure things out. The XAir app seems a bit simpler at least for the basic functions, it would be perfect for each person to adjust their own monitor mix with it.

• Like 1

On 19/01/2024 at 14:07, Greg Edwards69 said:

One of my band's guitarists has just bought an Allen & Heath CQ18t. Not had the chance to play with it yet but I've been exploring the tablet and phone apps, as well as reading up on the specs and it looks darn useful and easy to use. 

It's similar in design to the X-Air and X18 in that it's a combined wifi-enabled stagebox with a touch screen, with 6 aux send for personal monitor mixes, not to mention built in effects.

One of the issues many X-Air owners have is the wifi is a bit unreliable and resort to using third-party routers. Allegedly the A&H router is more reliable.

There's also apps for both iOS and Android, for mixing and personal monitoring, as well as windows and mac.

I know it costs more than the Behringer, but it might be worth a look anyway.

Hi Greg! :)

You are right, it seems like the built-in router is not reliable and I've heard similar stories about some other mixers (not all!). However an external router doesn't cost much and it'll all be in a rack case.

That A&H mixer looks really cool! It's a bit more expensive but it has a touch screen already and it looks like it can record each channel in a separate track for processing later, directly on the mixer rather than having to plug in a laptop to it...

Hmmm... Something to think about, it definitely seems more user friendly. Thank you for the heads up, I would not have thought of this one if you hadn't mentioned it!

• Like 1

On 08/02/2024 at 21:49, mcnach said:

That A&H mixer looks really cool! It's a bit more expensive but it has a touch screen already

The A&H CQ series look really good if not a little more expensive than others. I am going for the Stagebox version, the CQ20. However, it does seem that the CQ18, the touch screen version is very popular for those transitioning from a mixer with traditional controls, it's currently sold out until April.

• Like 1