Why become a member? ×

Jean Jacques Burnel Signature model

steve-soar

[quote name='steve-soar' post='386988' date='Jan 20 2009, 11:25 PM']I agree but I think with all the sigs on Fenders books, there should be a JJ model.[/quote]

Just a thought, but has Fender ever made a signature bass for someone who no longer uses them (apart from the ones that died)? I'm not sure what Geddy Lee currently uses... ;)

Edited by Musky

[quote name='Musky' post='386996' date='Jan 20 2009, 11:29 PM']Just a thought, but has Fender ever made a signature bass for someone who no longer uses them (apart from the ones that died)? I'm not sure what Geddy Lee currently uses... ;)[/quote]

I think he was spotted using a fretless Jazz recently, maybe even the Jaco signature?

[quote name='simon1964' post='386980' date='Jan 20 2009, 11:20 PM']Have to say the Shuker Signature will be better than any Precision Fender are likely to make![/quote]
And probably cheaper.

[quote name='acidbass' post='387023' date='Jan 20 2009, 11:44 PM']I think he was spotted using a fretless Jazz recently, maybe even the Jaco signature?[/quote]
Given to him by Fender.

[quote name='johnnylager' post='387103' date='Jan 21 2009, 07:58 AM']And probably cheaper.

Given to him by Fender.[/quote]
I was told (maybe incorrectly) that the Shuker JJB costs about two grand - in which case a Fender sig would almost certainly be cheaper ... but fair comment on quality

[quote name='Clarky' post='387108' date='Jan 21 2009, 08:07 AM']I was told (maybe incorrectly) that the Shuker JJB costs about two grand - in which case a Fender sig would almost certainly be cheaper ... but fair comment on quality[/quote]

Depends on the spec but the price for the "standard" JJB is £1500

[quote name='Raggy' post='387145' date='Jan 21 2009, 09:14 AM']I heard something along the lines that the Stranglers management approached Fender to make one but they they refused.

Heathens ;) :P[/quote]

On a related note, I was somewhat surprised to see the 'new' Duff McKagan signature basses are nowhere near as nice as the original Japanese 'Jazz Bass Special' that he uses. I bought my original Power Jazz Bass Special - a 1989 model for 200 quid from the US.. the new signature one I believe is a lower spec MIM costing £500. I think i'd rather buy another Jap model as it will be far close to Duff's original.

[quote name='dood' post='387184' date='Jan 21 2009, 09:46 AM']On a related note, I was somewhat surprised to see the 'new' Duff McKagan signature basses are nowhere near as nice as the original Japanese 'Jazz Bass Special' that he uses. I bought my original Power Jazz Bass Special - a 1989 model for 200 quid from the US.. the new signature one I believe is a lower spec MIM costing £500. I think i'd rather buy another Jap model as it will be far close to Duff's original.[/quote]
I thought Duff has been using Fender Custom Shop made Jazz Specials for years now?

[quote name='OldGit' post='387365' date='Jan 21 2009, 12:05 PM']Gosh, I hope so ;)[/quote]

Me too.

I mentioned the Clash the other day to my mates 18 year old daughter while she raved about various new bands, "never heard of them" was her reply. I felt faint.

[quote name='Rayman' post='387371' date='Jan 21 2009, 12:09 PM']Me too.

I mentioned the Clash the other day to my mates 18 year old daughter while she raved about various new bands, "never heard of them" was her reply. I felt faint.[/quote]
The youth of today today, eh? Emo this, nu that, I don't know - I like both kinds of music - metal [b]and[/b] punk.

[quote name='Rayman' post='387371' date='Jan 21 2009, 12:09 PM']Me too.

I mentioned the Clash the other day to my mates 18 year old daughter while she raved about various new bands, "never heard of them" was her reply. I felt faint.[/quote]

I know who JJBurnel is!
We have a duty to educate er.... younger people with regards to music of which they may never have heard.
I've done it before, with the simple phrase;
"If you like that... Try [i][b]this[/b][/i]... They invented it!" (slips disc into player)
And it works, too!

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

Ah yes, such a common scenario...

[i]*Adult plays seminal CD from years gone by... Chilli Peppers, Living Colour, whatever*[/i]
Offspring: "This lot sound just like [i]*insert name of trendy band here*[/i]"
Adult: "No, more accurately I think you'll find that [i]*trendy band*[/i] sound just like this lot."
Offspring: "Eh?"
Adult: "When this CD was released, you were still a sperm."
Offspring: [i]*stunned silence*[/i]

[quote name='steve-soar' post='386927' date='Jan 20 2009, 11:01 PM']It is about time that JJ was recognised for his major talent.
I want to start a petition on Basschat and other sites and would encourage other to do the same, so we can create a digital list of bassists, other muso's and fans who would like a sig bass.
Only one stipulation, they would have to offer it in a left handed version. ;)

1. Steve Soar.[/quote]

1. Steve Soar
2. JJ Burnel

Edited by Old Horse Murphy