Jump to content
Left leaderboard
Ander87

is Trickfish my no-man's-land?

Recommended Posts

Good morning gang,

I'm in a bit of a dilemma - we have recently started gigging so I got my first rig recently. A beautiful Trickfish Bullhead .5k with a matching TF210V cab (first generation, ferrite speakers).

We play neosoul so one transparent open clear tone works miracles for most of my tones coming from my Stingray Special 5 or Sadowsky MetroExpress VM5. Pedals wise, tuner, compressor and overdrive if at all.

I find nonetheless I am not making the most of the Trickfish's semi parametric EQ and I don't drive so I rarely see myself taking the 22kg cabinet out of my flat (you should see me las time with the delivery trolley I got in the train and bus in London). The reality of it is most gigs I can do with the head only, using the house amp as a cab and sending the line out to the FOH.

With this in mind, I'm thinking on selling the Trickfish rig for the following:

* Bergantino Forte head with a indonesian markbass / GK 2x10 (400w both of them, light at 12/15kg) for the few times I need an actual cabinet.

* Downgrade to a markbass LM III or something in the line with one of the above mentioned cabs and put some money in the bank.

 

What would you do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Barefaced One10 cab.

I run 1 with a 25 piece jazz band and it gets over it all easily - using a Markbass Marcus Limited 800W amp with it.

 

The cab is super light - only about 7kg. As long as I'm inside (sometimes do some outdoor gigs) then 1 is all I need.

 

The Two10 is about 13kg. Still loads under the weight of your existing cab,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I appreciate that! 

I'd like a cab that I can load up with all the wattage of a big head (I'm inclined to around 800w heads). 

My current cab is no less than 22kg, probably around 27? It sounds delicious but for a guy with no car it is challenging. 

I see myself 90% of the times using my amp head with a wedge or cab on stage so a One10 could be a thing for sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I`ve found that when I`ve heard Markbass amps through Barefaced cabs that they pair very well, so as Markbass were on the list may be worth looking into. Imo it`s always worth having a cab that can hold its own for a small venue where there`s no FOH and pretty much any Barefaced will be able to do that as at that point you only need to match the drummers volume anyway, no need for stacks in those size venues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hm! Seems like we're getting to the right direction.... 

Nonetheless the One10 is recommended for up to 250w and the heads I'm considering (be it markbass with money my way or Bergantino) sport more the 700/800w mark (700 even at 4ohms in the case of the Bergantino). 

 

I should seat more in the 400/500w cab range wouldn't I? I don't want to blow the cab for sure....! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well for higher power handling the Barefaced Super Midget is a cab that I was very impressed with when I heard our very own @Twigman use his at a bash, the amount - and quality- of sound coming from it was amazing. I found myself looking for the 810 that must have been hiding behind it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm! I guess we're entering the ground of barefaced vs bergantino cabs? 

I reckon in most situations a single speaker can do 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One10 will easily handle your to 600w as long as it’s clean and not distorted.

Gospel from Claber’s mouth and I dunnit too

Edited by Cuzzie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right team - I'll be getting a One10 - considering its only 7kg and can take about 600w it's a no brainer. 

Now who can help me with the head? I tried aguilar a bit ago and decided it's a no, GK was too spanky trebbly for me... I loved the Eich T500 so could go for the 900 and have it running at 600w @ 4ohm on the One10... 

... As mentioned definitely interested in the Bergantino Forté as well, especially considering I'm ditching all pedals - the compressor included could be helpful to keep things in line when slapping? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2019 at 19:02, Cuzzie said:

One10 will easily handle your to 600w as long as it’s clean and not distorted.

Gospel from Claber’s mouth and I dunnit too

The One Ten cab uses a 10" Eminence driver with a 2" coil, rated at 200W maximum according to the AES standard. Sure, you can use a 600W amp with it if you're careful , but I'd be very wary about actually putting 600W into it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, stevie said:

The One Ten cab uses a 10" Eminence driver with a 2" coil, rated at 200W maximum according to the AES standard. Sure, you can use a 600W amp with it if you're careful , but I'd be very wary about actually putting 600W into it.

Agreed - it was based on a conversation with Alex about handling capabilities, and also personal experience after that chat, but it has to be clean - it don’t do dirty at that level of wattage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or sell the lot and get a lightweight 112 or 210 combo? Say a GK or Markbass?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks @stevie and @Cuzzie - I would run the amp as clean as it gets with no pedals in front of it whatsoever (literally bass to amp head to cab).

Taking into consideration that the one10 is 4ohm, the Berg would be running at 700w and the Eich at 600w; kind of conscious that the Berg could be overloading what is already max capacity (600w) - would the inbuilt compressor save me from pushing it too hard or am I pushing the cab too far in both cases?

@HazBeen I want a head format as 8 times out of 10 I will probably just carry a bass and an amp head to gigs and rely on their PA - nonetheless a light cab would be handy for venues without PA/FOH or as a way to hear myself better on stage... similarly to take it to recordings I'd likely use studio cabs and etc, having a 'detached head' gives me so much more flexibility for a non-driver in London like me...

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Ander87 said:

Thanks @stevie and @Cuzzie - I would run the amp as clean as it gets with no pedals in front of it whatsoever (literally bass to amp head to cab).

Taking into consideration that the one10 is 4ohm, the Berg would be running at 700w and the Eich at 600w; kind of conscious that the Berg could be overloading what is already max capacity (600w) - would the inbuilt compressor save me from pushing it too hard or am I pushing the cab too far in both cases?

@HazBeen I want a head format as 8 times out of 10 I will probably just carry a bass and an amp head to gigs and rely on their PA - nonetheless a light cab would be handy for venues without PA/FOH or as a way to hear myself better on stage... similarly to take it to recordings I'd likely use studio cabs and etc, having a 'detached head' gives me so much more flexibility for a non-driver in London like me...

 

One10 is 8 ohms.

Would a pedal preamp/DI setup work (eg Spectradrive), where there is PA/backline provided?  Even less to carry than a head.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

One10 is 8 ohms.

Would a pedal preamp/DI setup work (eg Spectradrive), where there is PA/backline provided?  Even less to carry than a head.

Thank you! I thought of that but that leaves me naked to play at home and hear myself, same as for studio recordings etc - I'd be more at ease with a power stage in an amp and something I can plug to my own cab and be fully independent where needed.

Although not the gross of my gigs, there's chilled 'seat down' gigs in the horizon where no PA/backline is provided.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given what you have said I would suggest you keep the head and indeed get small cabs (or similar). I have nothing against Barefaced, but they are not the only option. Trace Elliot Elf 110 is 300w at 8ohm at 7kg (get 2 and you are pretty loud) or Phil Jones Piranha cabs (the C4 is 400w at 8 ohm and 13kg), or an Eich 110XS (which is think is also 300w at 8 Ohm and 10 kg). Especially the Phil Jones will handle your B string well enough and it is very clean and not too expensive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All amps will have similar EQ, until you get into the super amps, so I don't know if changing amps really buys you much. Having said that the reviews of the Berg Forte seems to indicate it is something special, if pricey. If you always have access to backline and a PA then I'd keep your amp. If you need a full rig and want to change, then I'd keep the head, get a Super Compact and a good trolley. You'll have a clean sound , headroom to spare and be as light and manoeuvrable as you can get these days. The SC is only about 6" wider and taller than the One10, so marginally larger but will have a great deal more tone and volume.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2019 at 10:37, Ander87 said:

I find nonetheless I am not making the most of the Trickfish's semi parametric EQ...

To look at it another way, I'd say this is a sign you're pretty happy with the tone it's giving you! Maybe hang onto the head for the time being and try changing the cab first.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey gang,

Thanks for the comments, I don't dislike the Trickfish as you've spotted....! I am not too happy with how quickly the low B clips on the Stingray Special though, it doesn't seem as even but then again it's a nice sounding amp...! This is not something that would happen with my other amps and same bass.

@EliasMooseblaster I guess I'm seduced by the hearsay about Bergantino, and having tried the Eich T-500 I do kinda miss that glassy clear tone it had compared to my current tone.

Also the reason to consider changing the whole rig lies in the likelihood of selling head + cab as a full rig rather than split it...

@HazBeen not gonna lie, a tandem of Eich t500/900 + a 110xs is really attractive - especially considering such small cab has a 3" tweeter cone that can be set to none-mid-full...!

@chris_b the trolley tale was what put me off taking the 2x10 out of the house to be fair - I think it's 22 or 27kg and due to the width of the cab, plus the bass on my back and whatnot, plus the rain and all this drama.... I know it sounds like I'm whining, but not the nicest memory either lol!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No one said it.... get a van and take as much gear as possible😂😂

sorry.... 

Of your  2 options, I’d take the berg, but I’d go BAmp and then you don’t need your pedals either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2019 at 16:51, Ander87 said:

Hmmm! I guess we're entering the ground of barefaced vs bergantino cabs? 

There are other lightweight compact cabs to consider.

Don't discount the Shroeder 1x8 minis - 400w @ 4/8 ohms - I have a pair which punch well above their weight (13lbs each I believe).

http://www.schroedercabinets.com/cabinets.html

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

There are other lightweight compact cabs to consider.

Don't discount the Shroeder 1x8 minis - 400w @ 4/8 ohms - I have a pair which punch well above their weight (13lbs each I believe).

http://www.schroedercabinets.com/cabinets.html

I've not come across these before Mick and I'm intrigued. Able to handle 400W RMS is just the ticket. And a 13lb cab. Amazing. 

Is there a separate thread on these that I've missed? If not, please start one - I'd love to hear a bit more about them and how they stack up against the competition. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Ander87 said:

 . . . . . . . . the trolley tale was what put me off taking the 2x10 out of the house to be fair -

I did a dep gig a week ago and the drummer packed up 3 drums cases and a cymbals case, all fixed to a trolley.  The stands were in a bag on his back. The gig was near Ladbroke Grove and he was getting a bus to Walthamstow. Trolleys, buses and gigs can work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, chris_b said:

I did a dep gig a week ago and the drummer packed up 3 drums cases and a cymbals case, all fixed to a trolley.  The stands were in a bag on his back. The gig was near Ladbroke Grove and he was getting a bus to Walthamstow. Trolleys, buses and gigs can work.

Hey buddy!

I'm not saying it isn't possible, I just don't think it's for me personally. The trolley for a big cab like the oversized trickfish 210 i've got was about 13kg; with a 27kg cab that is 40 kg I'm dragging along with a bass and pedalboard on my back; sure there's people in good shape that have no trouble for that, but for me personally it's a no, especially when I can run to PA and need a cab just for monitoring purposes...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...