Why become a member? ×

Warwick's 2009 range

Russ

[quote name='josh3184' post='375385' date='Jan 9 2009, 04:50 PM']P-Nut sig is nice. The biggest thing for me is the changes in the rockbasses. Look like much more solid instruments, especially the rockbass $$, that'll be quite good methinks[/quote]
Exactly what this man said!

That zender sig has confused though. I thought he didn't play warwick anymore? And i'm sure he never played anything like that. It's pretty... but i don't get it.

Edited by budget bassist

Hmm Rockbass have always interested me, the Fortress 5 and the active Corvettes the most....but the new $$, I NEED this bass. Hopefully it won't be as pricey as the Fortress' £400-£450 price range. Then there's the new Sterling by Musicman range and the current Squier VM/CV, what a time to be starting bass or wanting to buy a midrange bass (like I am at the moment).

They finally got rid of that horrible "Rockbass" logo! And added a two piece bridge. I'd consider buying one now (esp. the fortress fretless). Great move.

Love the Zender sig shape - quirky and elegant.

Edited by rjb

SZ was doing the p-bass thing last time I saw him, sounded good and just looked right in the MR band, this new bass looks odd for what he's doing now, not that its all about looks?

TM's bass is what I would expect! He should be in the UK this year again at some point ;)

T

Edited by sshorepunk

[quote name='sshorepunk' post='375973' date='Jan 10 2009, 10:37 AM']SZ was doing the p-bass thing last time I saw him, sounded good and just looked right in the MR band, this new bass looks odd for what he's doing now, not that its all about looks?[/quote]

Perhaps he'll be using it for another project he has lined up.

Ultimately I think it a case of Warwick and Zender scratching each other's backs. I'll bet Warwick have had this shape planned for a while and cast around looking for a player willing to endorse it's launch. If it sells they'll make it a permanent model, I reckon.

I love the shape, the neck joint and horns also remind me of Rickenbackers (which I normally dislike, but it works for me here).

[quote name='Galilee' post='375388' date='Jan 9 2009, 04:55 PM']They're going to see shed-loads more of those Rockbasses now they changed the headstock logo. Some lovely stuff there.[/quote]

Definitely! put me down for a fortress 5 string!

And i'm loving that Zender sig, its like a funkier Rick and a more conservative Ritter, those inlays however will have to grow on me, i'll be buying one regardless, i'll be interested to see the "more affordable" version of it too, it'll probably be a toned down Rockbass version without the daft neck, which inadvertently may be more popular because of it.

Edited by spacecowboy

[quote name='Raving_camel' post='375818' date='Jan 10 2009, 12:20 AM']Hmm Rockbass have always interested me, the Fortress 5 and the active Corvettes the most....but the new $$, I NEED this bass. Hopefully it won't be as pricey as the Fortress' £400-£450 price range. Then there's the new Sterling by Musicman range and the current Squier VM/CV, what a time to be starting bass or wanting to buy a midrange bass (like I am at the moment).[/quote]

Didn't know about the Sterling by Musicman range until now. Don't know how I missed that.

They look really good, almost too good if you ask me! There's always a risk of ranges like these cannibalising the sales of your higher spec'd ones.

Edited by Waldo

[quote]They really good, almost too good if you ask me! There's always a risk of ranges like these cannibalising the sales of your higher spec'd ones.[/quote]

True, but I think the distinction will remain pretty clear with the German versions being made from exotic woods, having curved bodies and higher spec electronics. That nasty "Rockbass" logo put many entry level buyers off, IMHO. The fashion conscious kids who make up the lucrative entry level market are the ones they're after. Warwick will then hope that when they get to their late 20s/early 30s they'll upgrade to the posher models! ;)

The guys who make the Ibanez Soundgear mid/entry ranges will be taking notice, no doubt....

Edited by rjb

[quote name='BigRedX' post='376110' date='Jan 10 2009, 01:34 PM']Last time I looked SZ was playing Gibson Les Paul basses...[/quote]

He may be, that photo was from 2007 I think, but whatever he hads been playing for the last few years is a loooong way from his Warwick sig!

Maybe he'll be saving the warwick for something else he's got going on as has already been suggested!

T

[quote name='joe_bass' post='375927' date='Jan 10 2009, 09:24 AM']That sucks!! I thought it was going to be a replica of the bass he is using in my avatar?[/quote]

Exactly man. It looks like they've been flirting with Ritters a little too much.

I'll bet the Zender collective on the Warwick forum are now going to be huffing and puffing for a good while to come.

I like the rockbass fortress.
I think it ticks some good boxes, its a warwick, looks good and doesn't just look like the cheaper version of one of their other basses.
I guess it kinda makes sense for warwick to try and improve their rockbass lines to pick up the 'first or intermediate' bass market. They have something about them which, providing you don't want a fender clone, is more interesting than the ibanez/yamaha offerings you may have.
I wouldnt surprise me if the german warwicks started making less BO basses and concentrating on more top end neck through models.

I can't imagine Stu playing that bass (I love the looks BTW) with Ronson. OTOH, what's the use endorsing a bass like that (especially a signature bass) if he [b]doesn't [/b]use it on stage? That's kinda' the whole deal with endorsements. Me thinks Stu has a new project coming!

However, the day Stu reunites with Jay Kay is the day hell freezes over... ;)

Edited by Stockholm Syndrome