Why become a member? ×

Strings??

Linus27

Just interested in what make of string people are using including guage. I just fitted a set of Elite Stadiums 45 - 105's to my new Stingray and it sounds stunning. I have been using these strings for about 20 years but I hardly ever see them mentioned here. Do people not rate them?

D'Addario EXL 165 Nickel Round Wound 45-105 long scale. The only strings I'm ever really happy with :)

(Have to confess I've never tried Elite Stadiums - I tried all kinds of others, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Elixir, Fender (not nice, surprisingly)... but not those)

Used to use Elites Player series strings but now sold on Elixirs - current set over a year old and sound new when compared to a brand new set of Elites ( a little test I did a month or so ago to make sure I wasn't deceiving myself!)

ped

[quote name='Linus27' post='369645' date='Jan 3 2009, 11:00 PM']Just interested in what make of string people are using including guage. I just fitted a set of Elite Stadiums 45 - 105's to my new Stingray and it sounds stunning. I have been using these strings for about 20 years but I hardly ever see them mentioned here. Do people not rate them?[/quote]

I use same as yourself; Elites 'Stadiums' 45-105's on an Ibanez Blazer & same gauge nickel 'Players' on an old Ricky copy. I think they're good; last well & have a nice tension. Also been using them happily for about twenty years, though I do like other brands/types of string too.

OOOHHH!!! where do you get those (Ebs titanium nickels)from and how much are they? ive always fancied trying them - lee
Oh and for me D,addario xl nickels or DR sunbeams depending on how flush i am, 105 - 45 for 4 string and 125 - 45 for 5 strings.

EBS titanium nickel strings. Can't get enough of them :)
[/quote]

Edited by lee650

I've got Status Hotwires HalfRounds on my VMJ, they're coming off though as I'm having a rounds phase, think I might go for steels over nickels on it though, pups are quite dark
My Aerodyne has Ernie Ball Slinkies on, 40/45-100 I think. Not impressed, don't like the feel or sound, so they'll be coming off in favour of some nickels methinks.

And I've no idea what are on my T-bird, but as I'm putting a new bridge on it, I'll stick some nickel rounds on, just not Rotosounds.

I'm awfully tempted for a set of Elixirs for my VMJ...hmm.

[quote name='Linus27' post='369645' date='Jan 3 2009, 11:00 PM']I just fitted a set of Elite Stadiums 45 - 105's to my new Stingray and it sounds stunning.[/quote]

Do they really help bring out the classic Stingray growl? I've got slinkys on mine at the moment which sound good but I wouldn't mind switching.

I've got DR black beauties on my Thumb bass at the moment but its more for the look, the black strings with black hardware agains't the wood looks lovely IMO.

Need to get some new strings for my recently acquired jazz soon, not sure what to go for though but I do know they have to be tapered.

• 2 weeks later...

I used Elite Player 45-105 (the nickel ones) for the first few years of playing, due to being recommended them by the guy in the shop.

I then moved to Elite Stadium 45-105 (the steel ones) after hearing that I'd get better attack and output from them. Used these for quite a number of years.

Now I currently use Warwick Red Label 45-105 (steel, again). They are comparable to the Elites, but a little bit cheaper as they don't have the silks on them. I like the fact that they come shrink wrapped, after receiving some new Elites which had quite obviously been sitting around in a damp stockroom for a while and were already a little tarnished.

Other brands I've tried in one-offs: Ashdown, Warwick Black Labels, Rotosounds, Ernie Balls, DR Black Beauties, Elixirs.

The best strings I've ever had were the DR Black Beauties. They were AMAZING, but not 3x as amazing as the Warwick Red Labels which are a third of the price.