Why become a member? ×

Last night's Jools

Deep Thought

Well I stayed in like a sad git, apart from an early trip to the Indian, and watched Jools. I dare say a few others amongst you did similar. What did you think? I was particularly keen on seeing the Hold Steady, who I enjoyed, but they've written better songs than the ones they did-I was hoping for 'Your Little Hoodrat Friend'. Enjoyed the Ting Tings, not just because I fancy Katie White, but also I genuinely like all three songs they did. Thought Kelly Jones was pretty damn good, although I am no fan of the Stereophonics. Liked Adele and Lily Allen too. Don't think Martha and the Vandellas have aged well. Didn't think anybody was awful, although as usual there were those where I got up and did something else whilst they were on, like Annie Lennox and Duffy. On the whole, not a bad show though.

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='367566' date='Jan 1 2009, 10:11 AM']Watched it drunk when I got back in. Thought it was pretty ropey to be honest - apart from the bass player in Jools' band, who's a class act.[/quote]

A class act indeed. I enjoyed it all and thought the quality of vocals was very high throughout. Still dont get the Ting tings tho. A bollox act IMHO but there to appease the full demographic.

A great show on the whole. I was watching through one eye to stop the double vision towards the end!!! Suffering a bit today.

C

I enjoyed the Hold Steadys the most - I'd not heard of them before.
I thought Martha and the Vandellas performed very well considering their age.
Duffy's/Adele's/Lilly's material really left me cold, and Annie's songs were very downbeat and didn't fit in well with the NYE 'party'.
Stuff like the Ting Tings was okay - fairly lively pop music to get people dancing. Not music I'd buy myself but nowt wrong with it.
Overall pretty average and not much of a celebration of anything.

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='367573' date='Jan 1 2009, 10:30 AM']I enjoyed the Hold Steadys the most - I'd not heard of them before.
I thought Martha and the Vandellas performed very well considering their age.
Duffy's/Adele's/Lilly's material really left me cold, and Annie's songs were very downbeat and didn't fit in well with the NYE 'party'.
Stuff like the Ting Tings was okay - fairly lively pop music to get people dancing. Not music I'd buy myself but nowt wrong with it.
Overall pretty average and not much of a celebration of anything.[/quote]
Saw bits...have to agree.

Thought Adele was brilliant,lily was okish...Still find the most interesting thing about Duffy is weather shes had a nose job for a hairlip or some corrective surgery,coz that conks plastic if I ever saw one.

I watched most of it & enjoyed most of it.

I'm afraid I thought poor Martha Reeves was awful though. I saw her in the early 80's (which was already way past her peak of popularity of course) and that great voice was still there but there's nothing much left of it now.

I thought she looked good & moved well etc. and the backing singers were fine but there were some really horrible warbling noises coming from Martha that put my teeth on edge.

Al murray best on the night for me :) worst lenny henry,he stopped being funny years ago!
now to the music,lily sounded better than i thought she would,annies got a great voice but awful song choice for the occasion.ting tings would be better off as a proper 4 piece band imo.shes got a great voice also.kelly jones probably had the best male voice on the night.i didnt get the hold steadys whatsoever.their second song sounded like something ive heard before but cant think what it is.ol dave edmonds can still rock with the best of them,martha and the other ol geezer who sang L.O.V.E sadly not.summing up bit dissapointing too many girly singers not enough bands.

+1 for Jools' band. The drummer looks even older than me, but who cares about his age.

Didn't see it all, went to bed about midnight.15, but 2 standouts for me.
Annie Lennox. Superb performance. Songs delivered with real conviction and confidence. Class.

Secondly, Dave Edmunds. Yeah, Ace. Just toe-tappin'.

Martha Reeves & the Vandellas. Had the absolute top song for just after midnight on NYE. Dancing in the Street. God, didn't she make a mess of it. So disappointing and I think the Vandellas knew it too. Shame, the previous 2 songs were good.

Young guy singer: ? ?? Kelly. Never seen or heard him before, but has some talent.

Duffy - very average this time.

Never thought anything of Lily Allen until last night. I only saw/heard one song, an old standard. Wow. Not spot on, she seemed to be nervous, but what was great was the way she sang with the freedom to make a mistake and not worry about it. Delivered. The confidence of youth I guess. I've almost been converted.

Balcro.

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='367566' date='Jan 1 2009, 10:11 AM']Watched it drunk when I got back in. Thought it was pretty ropey to be honest - apart from the bass player in Jools' band, who's a class act.[/quote]

Dave Swift is just brilliant, he is one very talented bass player. He's the guy who really made me want to play bass.

I too thought the harmonica group were great and Kelly Jones stood out also!

Big surprise for me was Sam Sparro whose Black and Gold single I hate yet with Jools' band sounded amazing.

The Ting Tings for me, define everything good in British pop music at the moment - I wouldn't buy their albums, but I think they have an edge.

I reckon Svang, the harmonica group were the best band of the night.

Duffy was awful and overrated as usual and it was interesting to hear Lily and Adele sing standards without their annoying Mockney accents ruining everything. Adele came out as a very good singer but I believe Lily sounded weak.

Edited by Rowbee

[quote name='Rowbee' post='367749' date='Jan 1 2009, 02:18 PM']I reckon Svang, the harmonica group were the best band of the night.[/quote]

Yeah, my girlfriend tapped their name into her phone as soon as they started playing, definitely have to pick up their record I think. :) It was great to see Rico perform, shame he wasn't up for a trombone solo but he must be ancient now.

I think Dizzee and Ting Tings stole it, they out-popstarred everybody effortlessly.