Why become a member? ×

Last night's Jools

Deep Thought

I~ thought hold steady did what i wanted them to do, fat old drunks that sang sing along husker du meets the boss. They are awsome.

I thought Martha reeve sounded very ropey and looked like ET and Louis XIV love child, a let down.

as for the T**G T**GS i think they are musical abortion and sum up everything thats wrong with pop music today.

Adele - wake me up when she's done

Duffy - i would

Svank (?) - cracking hair

can't remember the rest.

Edited by Rusty Shackleford

[quote name='beerdragon' post='368076' date='Jan 1 2009, 09:39 PM']Ok shoot me down in flames, but that Dave Swift maybe the an excellant player but he's a bit wooden. he has all the charisma of a fish.[/quote]

Let us all know when you do your next live TV..
Backing turns, with one 3 hour rehearsal the same afternoon.
Sight reading and busking other peoples arrangements you aint played before.
Not wanting to f**k up with bum notes or clams on live TV., and get the job done.
We might take you serious. :)
I have been friends with Dave for over 20 odd years..
And i can tell you he has plenty of charisma, and is a very sharp guy.

Garry

Personal feelings from Lowdown aside, I have to agree that he played bass well, held it together and did his job as a bassist in 99.9% of gigging situations so I can't fault the guy. If he wanted to demonstrate how flamboyantly charismatic he was, he'd be playing g****r. :)

[quote name='Rowbee' post='368359' date='Jan 2 2009, 12:13 PM']Personal feelings from Lowdown aside, I have to agree that he played bass well, held it together and did his job as a bassist in 99.9% of gigging situations so I can't fault the guy. If he wanted to demonstrate how flamboyantly charismatic he was, he'd be playing g****r. :)[/quote]

To be Honest, its more to do with so much on your plate at that particular time...
His percieved lack of charisma quote from Beerdragon....
Is more to do with concentration i think.

Garry

[quote name='lowdown' post='368342' date='Jan 2 2009, 12:55 PM']Let us all know when you do your next live TV..
Backing turns, with one 3 hour rehearsal the same afternoon.
Sight reading and busking other peoples arrangements you aint played before.
Not wanting to f**k up with bum notes or clams on live TV., and get the job done.
We might take you serious. :)
I have been friends with Dave for over 20 odd years..
And i can tell you he has plenty of charisma, and is a very sharp guy.

Garry[/quote]

Ok you have shot me down in flames, i'm not disputing he's an excellant player and a hard working guy, i have seen him do a live show and he was the same. along with Pino. John Entwistle and John Deacon who are legends. their playing aside they where all pretty static people. a guy in work came up to me one day and said, your in a band are'nt you, what do you play. Bass. ah right thats easy is'nt it you just stand there and play four strings. thats right i said. i could have been there all day talking to him about bass playing but it would'nt have made a bit of difference, if he goes to watch a band the last person he looks at his the bass player. me, i try to move a round as much as i can and may hit the odd bum note here and there but thats my style. i confess to having a few drinks when i OP'd. so i might have gone a little over the top.

[quote name='beerdragon' post='368405' date='Jan 2 2009, 12:51 PM']Ok you have shot me down in flames, i'm not disputing he's an excellant player and a hard working guy, i have seen him do a live show and he was the same. along with Pino. John Entwistle and John Deacon who are legends. their playing aside they where all pretty static people. a guy in work came up to me one day and said, your in a band are'nt you, what do you play. Bass. ah right thats easy is'nt it you just stand there and play four strings. thats right i said. i could have been there all day talking to him about bass playing but it would'nt have made a bit of difference, if he goes to watch a band the last person he looks at his the bass player. me, i try to move a round as much as i can and may hit the odd bum note here and there but thats my style. i confess to having a few drinks when i OP'd. so i might have gone a little over the top.[/quote]

Thats all right...
Was New years eve... :)

Garry

[quote name='Rowbee' post='368382' date='Jan 2 2009, 12:29 PM']Nothing wrong with what he was doing in my opinion. I don't think dancing around like Flea would have enhanced the performance.[/quote]
Point. Duffy's band spent their time twitching about & posturing & looked a right shower of cocks as a result, playing such pedestrian music.

J.

Don't normally get sucked into threads about TV programs but thought I'd stick in my tupp'orth about the celebs.

"Hate" is an over-used and therefore debased word these days, but I truly hate celeb culture with a passion.

That said, I've seen both Lenny Henry and Al Murray live in the last few months, and they remain two very funny, incredibly talented guys. They both work best as one-man shows, where they are in command of the stage and they control the audience. If you've never had the chance to see Al Murray do The Pub Landlord live then grab any opportunity that comes your way ... it's an extraordinary evening and it's different each time.

What these guys are NOT good at is instant snappy repartee when fed bad lines by a non-comedian like Jools. That's where you need a Paul Merton or Stephen Fry. Mind you, they both did way better than Jo Brand or Lily Allen.

Incidentally, I thought Dave Swift's bass playing was a beautiful lesson in how to keep it simple. To have that gig in the first place he must have some serious chops, but he clearly felt no need to keep reminding us that he had them. He played for the band - no higher praise IMHO.

[quote name='bassmansky' post='368123' date='Jan 1 2009, 10:53 PM']as i posted earlier i did'nt think rico sounded that good(bless him)but loved (no pun intended)the song he sang.did he sing it originally or who did?would like to get hold of it.[/quote]

Rico sang 'L-O-V-E', originally (I think) by the great Nat King Cole.

And to add my sixpennorth...

Dave Edmunds,Annie Lennox,Duffy,The Hold Steady all great.
Ting Tings okay. Adele okay, but does anybody else think her pitching is sometimes a bit out?
Martha&Vandellas did great considering they're pushing 70,although like previous post some of the lead vocals were a bit odd!
Kelly Jones and Dizzee Rascal ok but not for me.
And what an ace performance by Jools and the band,especially Dave Swift who was fantastic for whoever he played for-the versions of
'dancing in the street' and 'nowhere to run' were so well done IMHO.
Would love his job!

Overall I thought a really good show,far better than the Elton John O2 gig on t'other side.

[quote name='casapete' post='368512' date='Jan 2 2009, 03:01 PM']Overall I thought a really good show,far better than the Elton John O2 gig on t'other side.[/quote]

LOL i saw a bit of that the following day. 1 - i think Will Young is freaking great. His voice puts the water works on go for me. ever since i saw him sing solo on the beebs glasto coverage this year (in the tv tent acoustic thing). that blew me away.
Elton, love his early stuff.

but that concert was the most souless and cold musical event i've seen broadcast in a long time. ITV through and through.

A pretty poor show it was.

Being a fan of the Motown era I was looking forward to Martha Reeves and the Vandellas but was extremely disappointed and embarrassed watching their performance.
Mr Holland uses the word "legend" to descibe too many of his guest performers, he introduced Martha as one but the performance was aweful, the woman can clearly no longer sing, it sounded similar to my Granny singing at Christmas.
She needs to be wheeled back to her nursing home and retire from singing gracefully, let people remember her as she was years ago.

I was also expecting a magic performance from Annie Lennox but sadly let down again, her voice seems to have lost all its warmth and soul, all we got was a rasping shouting delivery.

The Hold Steady just look like a load of Bank Managers thrashing away, nothing new and not particulary good musicians.

Ting Tings, don't get them at all, throw away pop, will be forgotten in six months time.

Best vocals on the night for me goes to Ruby Turner........always delivers.

Edited by steantval

I think Jools is in danger of playing it a bit too safe every year with his Hootenany. It's all got a bit too cabaret for me - seems like too much of an old boys/girls club now. The Tube went like that - started good but seemed to degenerate into the Tina Turner show after a while.

[quote name='thinman' post='368855' date='Jan 2 2009, 09:02 PM']I think Jools is in danger of playing it a bit too safe every year with his Hootenany. It's all got a bit too cabaret for me - seems like too much of an old boys/girls club now. The Tube went like that - started good but seemed to degenerate into the Tina Turner show after a while.[/quote]

Catch 22 surely? As the show gets bigger, "bigger" acts become available to appear, pressure from beeb management for at least some sort of ratings boost means you've got to accept the bigger acts, but then show moves away from what gave it ratings in the first place, show fails from grace, but if you don't accept those acts, you're going against management/producers and risk the show being hurt budget wise or being cancelled.

Sorry to drag this thread up again but something occurred to me today. Martha Reeves and the Vandellas, Dancing in the Street came up on Radio 2 today and I had a good listen to the vocals. They are very flat, not in tone but as in almost monotone, hardly any change of note. Listening to her on Jools Holland it seems to me that older singers tend to over sing if you see what I mean, almost as if they feel they have something to prove and yet the original recording was just sung plainly with no over embellishment at all. And much better I must say. DJ Jeremy (smugger than Mr Smug from Smugsville on a particularly smug day) Vine reckoned it was the best performance on JH's Hootananay ;) Hmm!

Opinions are like a**holes.............everyone's got one!