Why become a member? ×

How good are you?

beerdragon

I think I'm competent at what I do (play rock, punk, ska, blues et al in a band or jamming with guitarist mates) but can't slap or solo beyond the odd simple lick. An O-level in music means I've got a reasonable grasp of classical theory. Whenever I gig someone from the audience usually has something nice to say about my playing.

I’m alright. Been playing for about 8ish years - I’ve learnt bass and music from quite an academic angle so I think that helped me to progress quickly. It still annoys the sh*t out of me though when I can’t do or play something I want to. I’m better than some, a lot worse than others – it’s hard to judge. It’s not about being modest, it’s just about being honest; you can always improve and there’s always going to be someone ‘better’ than you. If you do it for the enjoyment then it’s never gonna be an issue how good you are IMO.

I think it's entirely subjective, there are people who would like to have me play in their outfit and others that would choose someone else, I am quite musical, but the only reason I would have a judgement on how good I am is for the purposes of identifying weak spots and therefore work areas. Other than that I will let others decide.

I play well enough that my g'tarist doesnt give me 'that look' :) anymore and obviously well enough for him to ask me occasionally....

"how do you that?' or "where do you go after that 5th?" etc.

You know what?.

I'm happy with where I am.

Will I get better?

Undoubtedly.

Can I play like Flea?

Nope, and I have no desire to!

I have some good chops, but I always feel that others in my peer group are better than me. It's probably more healthy that way as hopefully I'll want to get better.

[i]"Man you really can make that bass talk! It's saying PUT ME DOWN!"[/i]

I know I'm on the bottom rung but my reach exceeds my grasp and will do for a lot of years to come i suspect...

We did a christmas gig a couple of weeks ago and a member of the audience came up to me after the gig and introduced himself as a fellow bass player, he said the bass was absolutely bang on, no frills and in the pocket the whole time. That to me was praise indeed as I know the fills and frills stuff will come with time, timing and groove is my main concern and what I spend most of my practice time trying to get right after sussing the notes of course.

The reason I got into this band was because the bass player they had was more interested in doing the one foot on the monitor solos than keeping the groove going.

I Can Play
I gave up playing for a long time so not as good as I was. Better than some players I know who think they are the bees knees.

Sight reading very average
Walking very average
I am good enough to play most pop, Rock songs, having played in pro cover bands that has played pop, charts, disco, soul funk even Level 42 and ,Paul Young with Pino.
I have played with musicians I admire and I like to think the respect me.

In real terms, average, I am ok nothing special.
There are some great players out there especially when there is good money concerned.

I can get the job done with a minimum amount of fuss and have a good attitude.

The world would not stop turning if I ceased to be involved with music and the only person who would miss out is me

hmmm. good question. how good am i? at bass?

not very.

i tend to want things immediately, and sometimes that is great as it puts me in a place where i absolutely believe i can do it - and the results are often fantastic.

also it does mean i regularly get downers about my playing. the balance seems to be there, i need the downers to remind me how far i have to go.

i was discussing this with a fellow BCer the other day, how my perception of what is good or not was vastly altered as i became a member of here and struck up friendships with people who (in my opinion) are infinitely better at playing bass than i am. also, this has led me to changing my music tastes, which has exposed me to better and better playing. before i was listening to mostly indie and britpop, and if i was to compare my playing now with 90% of that, i'm pretty good.

but i'm not... i'm now comparing it with the best bass players in the world.

(darn :))

I've been playing for 20 odd years - I can play most stuff BUT for me, it's always about the song and the groove. Drummers usually enjoy playing alongside me for that reason and I reckon if a band has a great engine, it'll sound good and go far.

I can slap and tap but pretty much never do either in the gigs I do.

I play with a pick and fingers depending on what's best for the song.

I can tap my foot in time whilst playing...not many guitarists can!! :)

G

[quote name='Monz' post='364796' date='Dec 28 2008, 01:26 PM']I know I'm on the bottom rung but my reach exceeds my grasp and will do for a lot of years to come i suspect...

We did a christmas gig a couple of weeks ago and a member of the audience came up to me after the gig and introduced himself as a fellow bass player, he said the bass was absolutely bang on, no frills and in the pocket the whole time. That to me was praise indeed as I know the fills and frills stuff will come with time, timing and groove is my main concern and what I spend most of my practice time trying to get right after sussing the notes of course.

The reason I got into this band was because the bass player they had was more interested in doing the one foot on the monitor solos than keeping the groove going.[/quote]
Spot on!I've learnt that the fills mean nothing without the groove.I've 'unlearnt' some fills and runs as they added nothing to the song;"play for the song and you won't go wrong".

Edited by lee4

I'm actually the best Bass Player on here. My technique is absolutely wonderful, people come from miles around to watch me play, whatever Band I'm in, and I have Bass Players lined up at my front door asking for lessons. I've been on the road with some real "Name" Bands in the past, replacing Household Names as their Bassist, and I've blown most Bass Players off the stage. I am in constant demand for Session Work, and can demand any payment I like, because there is no-one better around.

At least, that's what I'd like to be able to write. :) Just happy to be in a Band and enjoying myself. :huh: